Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the current noise rule ?
Yes, I agree. 19 54.29%
No, I do not agree. 16 45.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Nov 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2342725)   #126
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
Noise complaints have nothing to do with any local economy.
They shouldn't yet they have. Tracks all around the world are having to deal with this witchhunt more and more.
An area like Le Mans would've been a lot less significant town if it weren't for their famous track. Thanks to that it has blossemed and become an economically prosporous town.
This goes for many tracks,yet nowadays weak politicians are easilly conquered by near fascistlike environmental organisations,who see themselves been supported by the biggest scam of 'm all,the CO2 hype.

Satorian says:
"I could just as easily claim that it's the conservative old farts that do all the complaining here. Seriously, trying to pin noise reduction efforts on a single political group seems nonsensical to me. The complainers are on both sides of the fence."

I totally disagree here. I know those "complaining about everything" types,but that's not what's going on here. The noise reductions at Le Mans most deffinetly are instigated by the politically correct environmentalist sympathizers or by members of the ACO who fear the political power of this group. No grumpy old folk here...
Heck,most of the oldtimers living around Le Mans cherrish their coveted and legendary track and will probably not complain about some noise for a couple of weekends a year.

This whole noise thing to me is just another way to sanitise our sport. It has to be ever safer with ever bigger graveltraps,the public standing ever further from the action. Now it's the noise,for "dady has to be able to still have a conversation with his five year old along the fence"

Fire is hot,water is wet and racecars are loud,deal with it!

Last edited by GTfour; 27 Nov 2008 at 13:51.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2342736)   #127
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
Here Here
Old 27 Nov 2008, 14:23 (Ref:2342744)   #128
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
racecars are loud,deal with it!
The ACO have.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 16:11 (Ref:2342792)   #129
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Fire ist relatively hot, water is relatively wet, and race cars are whatever we make them.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2342811)   #130
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian
Fire ist relatively hot, water is relatively wet, and race cars are whatever we make them.
No,fire IS hot,just put your hands in the flames of a fire.
Water IS wet,just jump in a lake with your clothes on.
Racecars ARE loud(bar a few diesels) and should be. Whoever has te objective to make them all quiet is as far from reality as them folks who cut of the tails and ears of dogs,it's just not natural.

As long as the ACO is being run by PC FIA drone's,things will go from bad to worse...
Old 27 Nov 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2342857)   #131
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
No,fire IS hot,just put your hands in the flames of a fire.
OK. I keep my hands in a red flame for two seconds, you keep yours in a bowl of potassium permanganate, ethylene glycol, aluminum powder and iron oxide.

Quote:
Water IS wet,just jump in a lake with your clothes on.
And you jump into a tub of Hexan. Want to bet who gets soaked quicker?

But I guess that's not going to keep you from seeing things in black and white, is it?

Quote:
Racecars ARE loud(bar a few diesels)
Well, duh, obviously they aren't as loud anymore if I put a muffler on them and insulate their engines. Easy as that.

Quote:
Whoever has te objective to make them all quiet is as far from reality as them folks who cut of the tails and ears of dogs,it's just not natural.
You might want to focus your affection on people instead of objects. What's next? Are you going to tell us that race cars have feelings?

I find your line of reasoning as if there was a "natural state of the race car" hard to follow. They are inventions, technical contraptions ruled by our design and therefore whatever we make of them.

Fine, you like loud cars. Don't try to pass it off as something supposedly "natural" for cars. If the first ten cars to be ever built were black, does that mean all following cars have to be black as well? Or that black is the "natural" color of cars? "Cars ARE black." Right.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2342877)   #132
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian
What's next? Are you going to tell us that race cars have feelings?
They do. That's why V8s growl and V12s scream!
Old 27 Nov 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2342896)   #133
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Just let the greenies stay at home with their scalextric and earplugs ..... real men go to the track and enjoy something without having to change it .

Most people have the decency , if they dont like something , they stay away . Oh , but not these harpers & whingers ..... oh no ..... not while there is something left on the planet to whinge about !!!
Old 27 Nov 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2342904)   #134
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
real men?
Old 28 Nov 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2343137)   #135
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have to say I don't wield the bat around here very often these days, but I'm not going to put up with much more of the 'fire is hot (maybe) and water is wet (possibly)' all that much longer. There is an awful lot being said in this thread which purports to be useful comparison and analogy but is actually verging on the nonsensical - if not that, certainly pretty pointless. If the thread has reached a point at which we're unable to accept each other opinions - and there is a very clear difference of opinions, then perhaps we just accept it as so and I'll close it.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2343182)   #136
the menace
Rookie

England
Ardingly West Sussex
the menace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I originally started this thread because i feel concerned that to reduce the noise levels at Lemans, will for me, definitely, 100% have a very negative impact on the spectacle that is "Lemans". However, i think that the discussion has gone off at a tangent at times and i agree with Aysedasi. Now is the time to close it.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2343210)   #137
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To get back on topic, one of the reasons why I think WRC suck, is due to the hooverlike noise of todays rallycars. If that was to happen with Le Mans, I would feel very disappointed.

This nannystate attitude has no business in car racing, I feel. Health and safety side.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2343237)   #138
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noise at races.

Yes there is a very strong cause and effect on many factors. Not just the race cars, but the surrounding communities, and the economy of the communities as well.

Unfortunately many ppl do not see or what to realize this relationship.

When race cars get too quite, spectators stop enjoying that part of the racing. Then they stop going to the races, which means they stop spending money in the surrounding communities. Economics of communites suffer when spectators stop coming and spending money on food and logding plus othe sundries. Every race track knows these numbers.

The 110 db limit the ACO is imposing is a good limit. Not too loud but not to quite. Most engines and cars seem to be in the 100 to 105 db range.

Not too quite? Why exhaust noise or lack of muffled exhaust keeps the engine power high. Engines that have mufflers to quite the noise are less efficient in production power ( long formula, wont go into it here) Low noise means the engines need to produce more power to go the same speeds.

Different mufflers on street cars can produce different power levels, be it not that much on a street engine but there is a slight difference. 5-7 hp more with a louder exhaust.

We also know that different engine combination produce different power levels and different sounds.

V8s and diesesls tend to be very low reving engines that produce low toned ( long wave length ) booming sounds.

V4s and V6s turbos are higher rpms engiens, which tend to produce higher rpms, higher pitched ( short wave length ) sounds.

and YEs we FEEL the exhaust pitches or we FEEL the noise of the race cars going by.

Personally I ware ear plugs under my helmet when I race and or walk around the paddock of races I also ware ear plugs.

If you dont like the noise, go watch some electric cars race. That is just plain wierd. Cars going by but no engien noise.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2343396)   #139
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aside from the inevitable tangents, I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread. I voted for noise reduction in the poll (although if the ACO reduced it further I might not vote the same way next time) for two reasons: it's not MUCH of a reduction so preserves the growl of the Vettes that I like so much, and it's still higher than the limit at many North American tracks.

I don't wear earplugs most of the time at races. Of course, I grew up standing next to Can-Am cars, so that's not surprising. But before you tell me how dumb I am, I do wear them at certain locations or if I am doing certain things (flagging in a braking zone where the cars are within arm's length, like at the Long Beach hairpin, comes to mind) but I find that having open ears is vital to my role. I'm pretty good at identifying mechanical issues with cars going by. A lot of the time it's "the car sounds funny" that alerts me. This past March at Sebring I found it very hard to do that with the Pugs. Too quiet is actually more difficult than too loud -- it takes away one of the senses we use to identify potential danger.

In case you're wondering, I had a hearing test not long ago. Although I do have some hearing loss the technician said it was in frequencies not related to racing -- more like people talking, which was comforting to my husband, who now knows I'm not just ignoring him!

keke
Old 29 Nov 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2343725)   #140
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke
more like people talking, which was comforting to my husband, who now knows I'm not just ignoring him!
LMAO ..... brilliant comment !!! ..... and a very interesting comment too , the whole paragraph .
Old 1 Dec 2008, 01:57 (Ref:2344581)   #141
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Off topic: IndyCars getting new exhaust system and 9 dB cut.

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12846
Old 1 Dec 2008, 14:23 (Ref:2344942)   #142
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
Off topic: IndyCars getting new exhaust system and 9 dB cut.

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12846
They sound terrible so thats no big loss.

Roll on 2011 *crosses fingers in hope that the brain's trust in Indianapolis comes up with something intelligent*
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna