Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Sep 2011, 02:04 (Ref:2950931)   #1
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting to the Big Race...

So my question is about the 1000 kilometres before the 1000 kilometres. It's been 11 years since I have been to Bathurst and trying to plan a great weekend away. I'm after a bit of advice for the best route Brisbane to Bathurst.

Google Suggests:
New England HWY - Brisbane > Warwick > Glen Innes > Armidale > Tamworth > Muswellbrook > (Looks like back roads through here) > Ilford > Bathurst
or
Newell HWY - Brisbane > Goondiwindi > Moree > Narrabri > Coonabrabran > Mudgee > Ilford > Bathurst

But my traditional route has always been:

Newell HWY - Brisbane > Goondiwindi > Moree > Narrabri > Coonabrabran > Gilgandra > Dubbo > Orange > Bathurst

Any thoughts?
Old 5 Sep 2011, 03:23 (Ref:2950938)   #2
A-A
Rookie

A-A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The couple of times i have gone down to the 12hr - went the same traditional route that you have travelled.

The New england one sounds quite contrived, plus i don't find google great with their directions - Theres a short trip in brisbane that involves going over the Storey bridge twice to get somewhere just around the corner.

My comfort in that route is that it is on the major roads so if something goes wrong there is always someone going past and travelling through larger towns.

Enjoy your trip in Oct
Old 5 Sep 2011, 03:48 (Ref:2950940)   #3
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was a real young bloke, our family used to do lots of trips to QLD. We always did the Warwick > Glen Innes > Armidale > Tamworth route (we started west of sydney).
Old 5 Sep 2011, 04:18 (Ref:2950942)   #4
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwebbers View Post
So my question is about the 1000 kilometres before the 1000 kilometres. It's been 11 years since I have been to Bathurst and trying to plan a great weekend away. I'm after a bit of advice for the best route Brisbane to Bathurst.

Google Suggests:
New England HWY - Brisbane > Warwick > Glen Innes > Armidale > Tamworth > Muswellbrook > (Looks like back roads through here) > Ilford > Bathurst
or
Newell HWY - Brisbane > Goondiwindi > Moree > Narrabri > Coonabrabran > Mudgee > Ilford > Bathurst

Newell HWY - Brisbane > Goondiwindi > Moree > Narrabri > Coonabrabran > Gilgandra > Dubbo > Orange > Bathurst

Any thoughts?
The New England Highway is the best way. It's best to avoid the Gundy/Moree/Narrabri bypass.

Another route I recommend if you want to do some sightseeing is turn off at Glen, go to Inverell and go to Armidale via Gilgi. Plus, you'll be passing where I live.
Old 5 Sep 2011, 04:28 (Ref:2950944)   #5
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Google Suggests:
or

Any thoughts?
The first option is the way to go. The run from Muswellbrook to Ilford once you get into the Bylong valley is a beautiful drive on a nice road with not a copper in sight. You will pass all the massive horse studs that the Singletons/tinklers/sangsters own along the way .

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 7 Sep 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2952063)   #6
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys for the advice... I'll put it to the committee and see what my gang reckon.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 23:16 (Ref:2952964)   #7
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Google Suggests:
or

Any thoughts?
RE: This route:

I took this 'shortcut' in about 1996, and wouldn't recommend it at all.
The back roads from Muswellbrook through Denman/Kerrabee/Bylong/Rylstone were more like 4wd tracks, and added several more hours to the journey.

Stick to one of the main routes (Newell to Gilgandra then to either Dubbo or Mudgee).
Old 9 Sep 2011, 00:14 (Ref:2952983)   #8
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
RE: This route:

I took this 'shortcut' in about 1996, and wouldn't recommend it at all.
The back roads from Muswellbrook through Denman/Kerrabee/Bylong/Rylstone were more like 4wd tracks, and added several more hours to the journey.

Stick to one of the main routes (Newell to Gilgandra then to either Dubbo or Mudgee).
Tar roads have been invented since 1996 and it is sealed road all the way now

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 9 Sep 2011, 02:07 (Ref:2952994)   #9
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
Tar roads have been invented since 1996 and it is sealed road all the way now
I now find it has in fact been sealed, but only since 2009.

According to that article, the sealing of it has been a "political issue for decades". Probably because it was such a goat track.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2953050)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always gone Goondiwindi-Moree-Narrabri-Coonabarabran-Mendooran-Dubbo-Orange, because I'm always towing a car, so I like to avoid the hills.

But, last time I went without a trailer, so I tried Goondiwindi-Moree-Narrabri-Coonabarabran-Mendooran-Mudgee and it was alright.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 01:57 (Ref:2953395)   #11
coney
Rookie

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
coney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Just go down the street and turn right, Takes about 2 minutes
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2955323)   #12
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
My Route

I'm Brisbane based and used to pick up the Newell at Gundi then pick up the Western at Dubbo through Orange to Bathurst.

Lately I've been going Bris- Warwick- Inglewood- Texas- Yetman-Warillda-
(Fossickers Way. Turn off at Manilla,past Lake Keepit & across to pick up the Oxley east of Gunnadah. Then west of Gunedah at Mullalley, south through Tanbar Springs, Coolah, Leadville.
Then Gulgong, Mudgee, and turn off at Ilford, through Sofala and to Bathurst.

Roads are mostly good the worst bits are the section Texas- Yetman, and south of Yetman towards Warrilda.

Bugger all coppers, no fixed speed SCAMeras and very little traffic.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2955333)   #13
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
I'm Brisbane based and used to pick up the Newell at Gundi then pick up the Western at Dubbo through Orange to Bathurst.

Lately I've been going Bris- Warwick- Inglewood- Texas- Yetman-Warillda-
(Fossickers Way. Turn off at Manilla,past Lake Keepit & across to pick up the Oxley east of Gunnadah. Then west of Gunedah at Mullalley, south through Tanbar Springs, Coolah, Leadville.
Then Gulgong, Mudgee, and turn off at Ilford, through Sofala and to Bathurst.

Roads are mostly good the worst bits are the section Texas- Yetman, and south of Yetman towards Warrilda.

Bugger all coppers, no fixed speed SCAMeras and very little traffic.
That is one of the best ways to go actually. Because Boggabilla and Moree has alot of action with the local/state Five-0.

Another way is Texas-Yetman-Warialda (lovely little town, used to live there and still frequently go to it) Bingara-Tamworth to Dubbo, Orange and Bathurst.