Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jun 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3747844)   #2176
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just re-reading the comprehensive index in Sir JYS's book, and I can't find a mention of "Bauble". Surely some mistake?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jun 2017, 21:45 (Ref:3747849)   #2177
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Just re-reading the comprehensive index in Sir JYS's book, and I can't find a mention of "Bauble". Surely some mistake?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
I would imagine that good old baub would have used one of his many nom de plumes purely for security reasons. (Social Security reasons...)
Old 30 Jun 2017, 04:44 (Ref:3747884)   #2178
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I would imagine that good old baub would have used one of his many nom de plumes purely for security reasons. (Social Security reasons...)

...and don't forget Sir Jackie is dyslexic so it may be spelt differently!
Old 30 Jun 2017, 06:08 (Ref:3747897)   #2179
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I write my memoirs, I shall leave his name out of them, that will serve him right.*

*Jackie is a perfect gentleman, and always exceedingly polite and helpful to the media. Despite my humble status he always recognised me and would stop and shake hands. Unlike most of you lot.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3747898)   #2180
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Jean, je sais que nous n'avons rien Ă* apprendre Ă* notre ami Robert.
Anyway, at least you and me should be inspired by Mike's new type of interview.
Spot a French F1 driver, wait lets say around 30 years and when the guy is making weewee before racing ask for a selfie or shake hand
Old 30 Jun 2017, 07:12 (Ref:3747903)   #2181
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I know that I should maybe post this in the jokes thread, but I've just received this by e-mail and as we've recently had an ex-flying member reach this age, I thought this was appropriate. (Anyway, you can tell each other jokes during tea break...):
THE PILOT

You think you have lived to be 80 plus and know who you are, then along comes someone and blows it all to hell!
An old Marine Pilot sat down at the Starbucks, still wearing his old USMC flight jacket and ordered a cup of coffee.
As he sat sipping his coffee, a young woman sat down next to him. She turned to the pilot and asked,
Are you a real pilot?
He replied, 'Well, I've spent my whole life flying planes, first Stearmans, then the early Grummans... flew a Wildcat and Corsair in WWII, and later in the Korean conflict, Banshees and Cougars. I've taught more than 260 people to fly and given rides to hundreds, so I guess I am a pilot, and you, what are you?
She said, 'I'm a lesbian. I spend my whole day thinking about naked women. As soon as I get up in the morning, I think about naked women. When I shower, I think about naked women. When I watch TV, I think about naked women. It seems everything makes me think of naked women.'

The two sat sipping in silence.
A little while later, a young man sat down on the other side of the old pilot and asked:
"Are you a real pilot?"

He replied, 'I always thought I was, but I just found out I'm a lesbian.'
Old 30 Jun 2017, 08:02 (Ref:3747910)   #2182
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Jean, je sais que nous n'avons rien Ă* apprendre Ă* notre ami Robert.
Anyway, at least you and me should be inspired by Mike's new type of interview.
Spot a French F1 driver, wait lets say around 30 years and when the guy is making weewee before racing ask for a selfie or shake hand
Gerard, I think you have a fine understanding of English humour. As you may already know, we have a popular saying "Taking the pi....". It probably applies here!

What Bob didn't tell you is that Jackie normally charges for interviews, so that handshake was probably the completion of a deal.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3747912)   #2183
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John again thank you so much! I dint know about this kind of deal. May be René was pleased to wee for free after all. Hence his large smile… René is really a nice bloke and he always take care to smile and be pleasant to his "public". No-one would like to bring back home a picture of a former F1 driver moaning. In France we still have a large stock of them, probably less talented but they work for telly now.
Viva, I think I'm a lesbian too… and know what? I like it !
Old 30 Jun 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3747913)   #2184
Eric.D
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
Eric.D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Many thanks to everyone who posted here, yes and that includes Viva, I had a very nice day. Treated to lunch by friend Polly, and receiving telephone calls from my daughters scattered around the country. But! The interest and best wishes shown on Tenths is quite magic, and shows what a great bunch of people we have here. After all if they take the trouble to congratulate ME, well the rest of you can be sure you are well loved. Hopefully I will have many more years to upset as many of you as possible. Truly,. Thank you all it has been ............... where's my hanky.
I dread to think what the 90th will be like!.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 08:26 (Ref:3747915)   #2185
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
John again thank you so much! I dint know about this kind of deal. May be René was pleased to wee for free after all. Hence his large smile… René is really a nice bloke and he always take care to smile and be pleasant to his "public". No-one would like to bring back home a picture of a former F1 driver moaning. In France we still have a large stock of them, probably less talented but they work for telly now.
Viva, I think I'm a lesbian too… and know what? I like it !
In 1982 I went to the German & Austrian GP's with Team Lotus. At the time Arnoux & Prost were driving for Renault; whenever Prost is involved there is always disharmony in the team & so of course there were great problems between the two drivers. We were staying in the same hotel as the Renault team & each evening at dinner the French mechanics raised their glasses with the toast 'Prost! Naturally Team Lotus responded with a toast to 'Arnoux!

It was all good natured & it didn't stop the Renault transporter coming to my aid when the car I was driving broke down en route to Austria.

A couple of years later I was at the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder, when Arnoux had an argument with somebody in the paddock. he was last seen one evening leaving the circuit sprawled across the bonnet of a car, clinging to the windscreen wipers. Rumour has it they made it all the way back to the hotel like that!

Such happy days - can't imagine Vettel doing anything like that, can you...??
Old 30 Jun 2017, 08:44 (Ref:3747919)   #2186
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, I do think that your telling of the tale lacks a little something.

Allegedly;

Rene wanted to leave the circuit via a back gate, but a marshal would not let him, and it was the marshal who ended up at the hotel sprawled across the bonnet. You make it sound as if it was Ms Arnoux who so transported.

I seem to recall (and at my age I might well be wrong) that is Eric D who told me of the incident, and him being so much younger than myself might well put me right.

Mind you for someone who for entertainment was want to curl up inside a rubber tyre and roll down a hill and into a neighbour's hedge, might not be the most reliable of sources.

90! Indeed
Old 30 Jun 2017, 10:49 (Ref:3747934)   #2187
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Such happy days - can't imagine Vettel doing anything like that, can you...??
Well now you ask after what he did in Baku's streets…
Old 30 Jun 2017, 12:58 (Ref:3747963)   #2188
Eric.D
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
Eric.D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
John, I do think that your telling of the tale lacks a little something.

Allegedly;

Rene wanted to leave the circuit via a back gate, but a marshal would not let him, and it was the marshal who ended up at the hotel sprawled across the bonnet. You make it sound as if it was Ms Arnoux who so transported.

I seem to recall (and at my age I might well be wrong) that is Eric D who told me of the incident, and him being so much younger than myself might well put me right.

Mind you for someone who for entertainment was want to curl up inside a rubber tyre and roll down a hill and into a neighbour's hedge, might not be the most reliable of sources.

90! Indeed
Yes. it was the marshall who climbed onto the bonnet of Rene's car in an attempt to stop him. Rene calmly drove on to the hotel with bolshy 'jobsworth' clinging to the wipers. When the police arrived to investigate, Rene pointed at Prost and said "That's Arnoux!".
Old 30 Jun 2017, 15:31 (Ref:3747988)   #2189
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Just before qually of the 24 H in the '70s I had to "explain" something to the Royal Gendarmerie and was rescued by an official of the race … Seems French humor is quite different from our cousins!
Eric, I do believe the story and can't imagine Prost making the joke…
Old 30 Jun 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3747992)   #2190
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Just before qually of the 24 H in the '70s I had to "explain" something to the Royal Gendarmerie and was rescued by an official of the race … Seems French humor is quite different from our cousins!
Eric, I do believe the story and can't imagine Prost making the joke…
I do think that Prost has/had a sense of humour (and Im not making snide remarks about his racing team!). I attended the 1983 Monaco Grand Prix and seem to remember seeing him interviewed on local TV. The interview took place on the edge of the harbour. At the end, Prost pushed the interviewer into the sea! All shown on TV.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3748005)   #2191
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
At the end, Prost pushed the interviewer into the sea! All shown on TV.
Pour une fois la presse se mouille! could give something like : for once press people get their hands wet!
Pironi had a very good relationship with press people and the public too ( no pun here with the fact he lost his life into the sea of course).
Its rather hard to explain and understand what kind of pressure our media put on our drivers.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 18:47 (Ref:3748018)   #2192
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
%
Quote:
Its rather hard to explain and understand what kind of pressure our media put on our drivers.
Possibly this is because so many high profile drivers, much like celebrities and politicians, etc., try to manage or control their media interface; and the media don't like that so they put pressure on them.

Those high profile individuals who come to amicable arrangements with the media don't suffer the same pressures, and are given a much easier ride than the others. Having lived much of my life in areas with high concentrations of these sort of people, those that had good working relationships, like 99% of the people I lived amongst, were never bothered by the media. Because the media knew that they would come and talk to them when necessary, and would allow photographs to be taken at the appropriate moments.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3748062)   #2193
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
%

Possibly this is because so many high profile drivers, much like celebrities and politicians, etc., try to manage or control their media interface; and the media don't like that so they put pressure on them.

Those high profile individuals who come to amicable arrangements with the media don't suffer the same pressures, and are given a much easier ride than the others. Having lived much of my life in areas with high concentrations of these sort of people, those that had good working relationships, like 99% of the people I lived amongst, were never bothered by the media. Because the media knew that they would come and talk to them when necessary, and would allow photographs to be taken at the appropriate moments.
Mike, you know we have no secrets here on the Tea Break, so do tell us more about this glamourous world which you inhabit. Surely you can reveal a few secrets, drop a cpuple of Celebrity names into the conversation, uncover a few salacious stories concerning well known names (Oh! Leave mine out though), and generally titivate our jaded palates?

Come on don't be a spoil sport.
Old 2 Jul 2017, 09:48 (Ref:3748255)   #2194
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has gone a little quiet since the Euphoria of the famous birthday , so I thought,[as there was talk of lack of security at Portsmouth ferry], I would mention a time I came back on the Santander / Plymouth ferry .
Probably late eighties , when we still had to use Carnets for van / Trailer / car / parts through EU borders .

Was getting carnets done in Santander prior to boarding when this white Rolls with Gold plated mascot & door handles came past to get on ferry .
The driver was short , fat , greasy , well tanned & wearing a white suit .He looked like the sort of person you could take an instant dislike to.

Anyway , when we got into customs shed at Plymouth to get carnets signed out , there was the Rolls Royce being dismantled by customs .
Had a bit of a laugh , but thought he was just too obvious , & his mate in a plain Sierra had just got through with all of the dodgy goods .
Old 3 Jul 2017, 08:57 (Ref:3748584)   #2195
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Whilst you were all off racing in exotic locations at the weekend, I had the luxury of motor sport coming to me, for Rallye du Ternois visited my village for a stage four times.

It is a French Championship Division 2 round but also includes a class for historics, a select group of Alpine Renault's, Porsche 911, Opel Manta etc, and they all made it to the finish with one exception - an Astra!

Sorry Bob...
Old 3 Jul 2017, 16:34 (Ref:3748642)   #2196
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Sorry Bob...
Dont worry bauble, it probably was an Opel not a wonderful Vauxhall!
Old 3 Jul 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3748648)   #2197
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Dont worry bauble, it probably was an Opel not a wonderful Vauxhall!
It's all very quiet - all watching Tour de France perhaps?

For those who missed it, today's route took in part of Spa-Francorchamps, joining the circuit at La Source & leaving via the truck exit. Eau Rouge doesn't seem to class as a steep climb!
Old 3 Jul 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3748664)   #2198
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, you know the old song…*In the '70s, the Raidillon was so narrow and steep the heavy trucks could hardly climb it, they built a diversion few yards on the left. For an average cyclist it was almost impossible to climb it too. Now its a piece of cake (should I say for wussies?).
Old 3 Jul 2017, 19:05 (Ref:3748675)   #2199
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
John, you know the old song…*In the '70s, the Raidillon was so narrow and steep the heavy trucks could hardly climb it, they built a diversion few yards on the left. For an average cyclist it was almost impossible to climb it too. Now its a piece of cake (should I say for wussies?).
I wonder what Iain would have to say about that?
Old 3 Jul 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3748699)   #2200
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ah funny you should say John . My very first trip to Spa in the early 90's I had my very old Transit motor home . Finished racing Sunday and drove out of paddock to go out around circuit which is what you did in those days . Could not make it up the hill 😀I had to reverse all the way back past the pits trailer and all and then take a blooming good run through la source and over the top of Radion . Happy days
Closed Thread