Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 12 Sep 2002, 14:03 (Ref:378783)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enge fails drugs test

Quote:
Following an anti-doping test at the recent Hungarian Grand Prix, Formula 3000 driver Tomas Enge tested positive for a substance prohibited by the FIA in the International Sporting Code. Enge, who is in the running for the Formula 3000 title, has been summoned to appear before the World Motor Sport Council in Paris on October 1 to answer the charges.
source: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns07028.html
Old 12 Sep 2002, 14:17 (Ref:378795)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nose candy or nasal spray
?
Old 12 Sep 2002, 14:28 (Ref:378806)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pot by all accounts.

So basically the FIA has said "these substances are banned" but if you get caught with them you can just continue and answer the charge when the season is over. So whats the point of banning the substances anyways? I think banning pot is stupid because its not like you'd want to be on it before you drive; but if there are drugs that enhance your performance (I cant imagine what they'd be because nothing really helps driving, you dont want to be really beefy), then there should be an in season penalty otherwise you get away with using it. They could strip points/wins but thats after the fact and the performance (race wise) impression has allready been made
Old 12 Sep 2002, 14:43 (Ref:378815)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the late Sebastian Enjolras got a six month ban IIRC - could really do in Enges career this - silly boy, didnt he know it can stay in ur system for up to 6 weeks?
Old 12 Sep 2002, 14:54 (Ref:378823)   #5
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stays there or not its a drug and its not allowed! whether it improves your performance or not its a rule thats laid down to everyone across this sport and others. Regardless of some goverments relaxed approach to it.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 14:59 (Ref:378827)   #6
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Benny, Joking is ok ... but dont go that way. I guess you dont have the details, do you?
Old 12 Sep 2002, 15:12 (Ref:378844)   #7
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
no your right I don't have the details so I'll just have to wait and see! But like I said drugs arn't permitted so why take the risk
Old 12 Sep 2002, 15:29 (Ref:378866)   #8
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also dont have the details so i am not defending, but for example if you drink too much coffee you will accuse caffeine , or dont mix Red Bull with an aspirine !?
I hope he have a good excuse ... i wouldnt like to see our sport exposed like that.

The story is already all over the news site here in ... Portugal !?!?!?!
Old 12 Sep 2002, 15:46 (Ref:378879)   #9
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Clearly not performance enhancing as that is not relevant to racing. Why then should he be in trouble and why are the FIA bothering to do testing? Seems curious that he might be punished for something he did in his personal life. Okay, so it's illegal, but then so is speeding and I don't remember Jenson Button facing the FIA when he was caught in France.

I suppose he could be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute, although it is only because they tested him and then released the results that he is in that situation! Seems like a monumental waste of time, my sympathy is with Enge on this one.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 15:46 (Ref:378880)   #10
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
consider the amount of caffine in coffee and redbull are no where near the levels laid down in rules I can't see how that effects it, to reach the caffine levels stated in the rules by drinking redbull alone would involve drinking enough can to take you in to triple figures.

not sure what the results of aspirine is with redbull is though

But from what people have posted there not talking about caffine are they? although all other articals don't state a substance
Old 12 Sep 2002, 15:54 (Ref:378885)   #11
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not banned because its enhancing although some would argue(relaxing), but the effects would lose you concentration and reaction which is unsafe. agree with bennyboy on this. All us racers know what not to take and thats one. could of damaged his career if this is all true
Old 12 Sep 2002, 15:56 (Ref:378888)   #12
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
Just Like to point out that most the press releases I've read so far haven't pointed out a substance so where russfeld got his info I don't know.
So my original comments are with regards to the use of illegal drugs such as pot.

So we will have to wait and see what the substance is !!
Old 12 Sep 2002, 16:25 (Ref:378906)   #13
shodam
Rookie

shodam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by BennyBoy1978
Just Like to point out that most the press releases I've read so far haven't pointed out a substance so where russfeld got his info I don't know.
So my original comments are with regards to the use of illegal drugs such as pot.

So we will have to wait and see what the substance is !!
it was THC, e.g. marijuana .... i still can't believe that :confused:
Old 12 Sep 2002, 16:29 (Ref:378907)   #14
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There goes his championship
Bad for him
Bad for the motorsports
Old 12 Sep 2002, 16:52 (Ref:378914)   #15
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just read this at BBC Sport Online - what every he has taken he has been caut and he is a very silly boy..........
Old 12 Sep 2002, 16:54 (Ref:378916)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

why? he's not going to have anything until Oct 1. He can still win this weekend and if he does even taking it away wont destract from that, at least not as much say if he was busted for tech cheating.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 17:03 (Ref:378921)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeez, this is total BS. The Olympic officials had the sense to effictively do away with their ban or marijuana by giving that Canadian snowboarder his medal back several years ago. It's certainly _not_ a performance-enhancing drug...

Who's it going to hurt what you do in your spare time, so long as you're sober on the race track? And don't give me some reactionary conservative BS about drug cartels and terrorism... Cannabis is one of the easiest things on earth to grow, and the legalization of cultivation for personal use would be a huge blow to the aforementioned cartels...

Damn lousy CIA just wants to control the market...

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 12 Sep 2002 at 17:04.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 17:19 (Ref:378928)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeez, this is total BS. The Olympic officials had the sense to effictively do away with their ban or marijuana by giving that Canadian snowboarder his medal back several years ago. It's certainly _not_ a performance-enhancing drug...

Who's it going to hurt what you do in your spare time, so long as you're sober on the race track? And don't give me some reactionary conservative BS about drug cartels and terrorism... Cannabis is one of the easiest things on earth to grow, and the legalization of cultivation for personal use would be a huge blow to the aforementioned cartels...
Old 12 Sep 2002, 17:20 (Ref:378930)   #19
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As some people are saying, as far as I'm aware nowhere has it been stated what the drug is, and "doping test" isn't necessarily a test for "dope" (mariuana) is it?
=======
This from autosport.com:

Enge 'mystified' over drug test results
Team boss speaks on behalf of Czech F3000 ace
Sept 12th

Formula 3000 International Championship contender Tomas Enge has denied knowingly taking a banned substance, despite his positive result following an anti-doping test after the Hungarian Grand Prix round of the series on August 17.

Enge's Arden International team boss, Christian Horner, read a prepared statement in the paddock at Monza, where Enge will attempt to win the F3000 title this weekend.

"Tomas is mystified about the test result," said Horner. "He denies completely any knowledge of taking any form of banned substance. He is completely shocked and surprised to have tested positive."

Enge has passed five random anti-doping tests during his F3000 career. He was told of his positive test by the FIA on Tuesday.

Horner added: "He was distraught and enormously shocked. He couldn't comprehend it. We had a long chat last night and he's going to get his head down and get on with the job [this weekend]. He's focused on the event. His character and inner strength are enough for him to deal with this."

Horner refused to name the banned substance that Enge is alleged to have tested positive for. When asked if it was performance enhancing, he replied: "In no way."

Enge's second sample, taken at the same time as the first that tested positive, will now be checked. In athletics, where anti-dope testing is more prevalent, never before has a B sample been found to be different from an A sample.

This is the first time a driver in a major FIA racing series has tested positive in an anti-doping test. A couple of drivers in national level racing in France and Italy have been punished for cannabis use, resulting in a ban from racing of a few months.
=======

Shame it could detract from what should be a thrilling F3000 finale this weekend
Old 12 Sep 2002, 18:06 (Ref:378954)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one can only speculate on what was found, but he really shouldn't be doing anything at that level. if you're serious about your racing you really don't need to mess around with that stuff.

let's just hope that it's a dodgy test, for tomas' sake and for the rest of motorsport...
Old 12 Sep 2002, 20:28 (Ref:379048)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If it was maruijana, the result should probably be a matter for the courts, not the racing officials. As you say, if he smoked dope the night before a race, we'd know it, his performance would certainly not be enhanced, quite the opposite.

I suppose the rumours linking him to a drive with BAR would be knocked out of the way, which is ironic as I'm sure tobacco is much more harmful than whatever Enge was caught with in his bloodstream, yet the Governments of the world don't stop people making profit from that.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 21:10 (Ref:379068)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Absolutely marijuana should be banned from racing, just like alcohol. The fact that it doesn't enhance performance is not relevant, it impairs performance, and that's a problem. My word it should be banned from racing, you aren't allowed to drive down the street under the influence of marijuana, you especially should not be allowed to drive at break-neck speeds with others trusting you not to kill or seriously injuring them under the influence.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 22:17 (Ref:379108)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mac's absoultely right on that of course, and unfortunately in many nations drug-driving is not punished as an offence in itself, when it certainly should be. However on this case I'd say that a trace is the blood isn't enough- it remains for many weeks while the effects wear off much quicker. Enge could have smoked weed any time up to, at a guess, Wednesday evening before the Friday qualifying and had no ill-effects on the racetrack
Old 12 Sep 2002, 22:19 (Ref:379109)   #24
Russfeld
Veteran

Well you'd have to determine whats an acceptable level. Since pot stays in your system for a while, you shouldnt be punished for driving if you had a pull 3 weeks ago. You have to achieve a certain blood level on booze before you get in trouble

And there's nothing that says racing drivers cant drink. They just cant be drunk before a race.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 22:30 (Ref:379118)   #25
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Mac's absoultely right on that of course, and unfortunately in many nations drug-driving is not punished as an offence in itself, when it certainly should be. However on this case I'd say that a trace is the blood isn't enough- it remains for many weeks while the effects wear off much quicker. Enge could have smoked weed any time up to, at a guess, Wednesday evening before the Friday qualifying and had no ill-effects on the racetrack
I'm assuming that these are random tests. It may remain in the system for weeks, but last time I checked, the F3000 season has been going for months. Whose to say this trace was not from drugs administered just before a previous race? You simply cannot know. Add this to the fact that there is evidence that marajuana causes damage in some form to the lungs and brain and you have a drug that should most certainly be banned from racecar driving.

PS. I am not referring to Enge's case in particular, as I know nothing about it. I am arguing the case that marijuana should be banned from the sport of motor racing.

Last edited by mac; 12 Sep 2002 at 22:32.