Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:52 (Ref:669772)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Seat/BMW to enter BTCC?

So Motorsport News is giving credence to the rumours that Seat and BMW will enter the 2004 BTCC with their ETCC spec cars. These rumours are gaining momentum - but is it really gonna happen?? The rumours suggest that each manufacturer will also gain a slot on the TOCATour package for their own series - Formula BMW and the Seat Cupra Cup. Now I think Seat being involved would be great - anyone who's seen the efforts they put in to promote their series can only be good for TOCATour - we'll see I guess!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 21:03 (Ref:669780)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
the Cupra championship 1st prize is a 1yrs works ETCC drive with Seat Sport UK. Not sure they would be able to change there minds, so maybe they will be in both. Dont forget there are already four ETCC chassis about (2x STCC,2x ETCC) so its quite easy for SEAT to build more.

Last edited by andy_b; 23 Jul 2003 at 21:06.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 21:20 (Ref:669789)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope it happens - it will be good to see the BMW back in the BTCC, as for Seat why not......
Old 23 Jul 2003, 21:22 (Ref:669791)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I guess it would depend on what package were offered to the winner... if they offered them a place in the BTCC, alongside JP, and 50k in the bank... hmmm.

Does the Formula BMW series fit into the MSA's new 'matrix' thingy though? If not, then it can't have a lot on the TOCA package, can it?
Old 23 Jul 2003, 21:38 (Ref:669801)   #5
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and becareful of the Seat village - it is so big there won't be room for anything else. It will have to replace something
Old 23 Jul 2003, 21:43 (Ref:669808)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
With a bit of luck the Porsche Cup will go join the GTs - would surely suit both 'packages' to swap saloons for sportscars.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 21:43 (Ref:669809)   #7
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porsches probably.........
Old 23 Jul 2003, 22:36 (Ref:669849)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If these enter will any other manufacturers leave? Proton and the Pugs would face becoming obsolete.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 22:56 (Ref:669858)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not too sure if that'd be the case Paul. Proton are meant to still be around next year anyway on their 3rd year and I hope they are far closer to the front of the field too.

I'd love to see BMW back but the likelihood is we'll have some 320's in next year regardless of whether they're works or not - or perhaps Edenbridge would be getting backing from the manufacturer - I keep wondering why they seem to so quick in beginning to build their BMW for 2004.

Seat, as Craig said seem to get right behind anything they do, I'd like to see how their Toledo could get on in the BTCC. Plus, that'd be the return of JP of course..

Last edited by touringlegend; 23 Jul 2003 at 22:58.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 10:32 (Ref:670139)   #10
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the Porsches will move to support F3/GT - unless they get more entries there won't be a Porsche Cup in future - they haven't been given a slot on the MSA ladder system.

However I also don't think TOCA would replace Porsche with Seat and the Seats and Clios are too similar - I suspect that if Seat and BMW support races come in, it will be at the expense of Clio and F. Renault.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 12:38 (Ref:670230)   #11
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think not.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 13:08 (Ref:670277)   #12
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F.Ford and Porsches hopefully.....
Old 24 Jul 2003, 13:53 (Ref:670313)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
speedy's correct, ffords are very much on their way out (i can think of at least 3 major teams that will pull out to change championships), and porsches seem to be a very weak championship that only apply to a very select bunch of racers.

bmw would replace fords quite nicely i think, and seats would slot in just above clios in the one make ladder.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 15:25 (Ref:670400)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isn't the introduction of 2 new manufacturers into the BTCC the real exciting part? Who cares aout the support races, they can just use those bloated T-cars as a pre race 10 lapper.
I would love to see the BTCC be a full factory grid, we just need Nissan, a proper accord from honda, Saab, and volvo. and we might be ready
Old 24 Jul 2003, 17:33 (Ref:670485)   #15
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just can't see Renault being happy about there being a manufacturer of the calibre of SEAT taking such a huge chunk out of the lime light.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 17:48 (Ref:670490)   #16
joey1
Racer

joey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
having witnessed the seat cupra championship at oulton, it would be great to have this in the toca package.
now what would be good (but would never happen) would be to have a clio-cupra race. where the top 12 finsihers from the clio race and the top 12 finishers from the cupra race joined together. (i can dream)
seat and bmw coming in would be great also.
as mentioned if these two where to commit to the championship then it may encourage other manufacturers to join the championship.

just a thought but hows about bmw entering a mini????
Old 24 Jul 2003, 20:02 (Ref:670553)   #17
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
i cant see it happening becuase of Renault and as Renault have supported ToCA for donkeys years I cant really see The Cupras moving over. Less likely than SEAT's in BTCC IMHO

It would be a bit weird having the "feeder" series to the BTCC as part of the F3/gt bill, dont you think.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 21:04 (Ref:670596)   #18
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest - has the Clios got any more life to it? I think it has one more year but if it is anything like the Fiestas it was moved on for its last year.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 21:44 (Ref:670623)   #19
kingsizemars
Rookie

kingsizemars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that as a fan of the BTCC i would welcome any more cars to the chamionship as it is getting boring with just Vauxhall, Honda and just about MG winning all the races, add a couple of clios, stick in a couple of BMWs, Seat's and any other car which would help the BTCC back to how it was in the early 90s, back to its prime. Also i would love to see a return for the Peugeot 406 Coupe as the 307 is and wont perfom unless Peugeot stick out a finger and give Vic Lee a hand.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 18:20 (Ref:671317)   #20
JerH77
Racer

Germany
Bayonne, New Jersey
JerH77 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If Seat and BMW enter the BTCC it probably be the first time that the BTCC would have a Spanish manufacturer and the second time that they would have a German manufacturer, Audi being the first.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 18:25 (Ref:671319)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
BMW have been in the BTCC many times before so no big deal about being a German manufacturer. SEAT will almost certainly be the first Spainisg manufacturer to enter the BTCC, but then how many other Spanish makes can you name?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 20:27 (Ref:671402)   #22
kingsizemars
Rookie

kingsizemars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any reason why a Porsche carrera cannot enter the BTCC. We could do wid some big, expensive cars, to publisize it more.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 20:46 (Ref:671414)   #23
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because it's a GT car not a touring car?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 21:02 (Ref:671424)   #24
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Les
To be honest - has the Clios got any more life to it? I think it has one more year but if it is anything like the Fiestas it was moved on for its last year.
I am very sorry to say that i agree with the above, i am afraid that the clios have probably had it now (great shame ) but the grids are a lot smaller and the Seat championship will undoubtably grow....

We had fiestas, brought in Clios when they were starting up witht he new spec car in 1999 had that through it's limelight, once that got big the fiestas went down, got rid of them, now the clios are going down, the seats have just started and are V good and growing, think the clios will go next year and we will see Seats, or, seatas AND Clios next year, but Clios to go the year after, like what happened between 2000 and 2001 with the fiestas and clios
Old 25 Jul 2003, 22:32 (Ref:671477)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
King Sizemars-watch now porsche will enter a VERY low Cayenne adn race it in BTCC, they'll make it lok like a honda and call it Cayenne Estate...
lol
Really what does keep manufacturers from entering the btcc again it is arguably the best touringcar series in the world (aussieV8's are very good though)
when Pug was in it in the 90's with the 406 (?) it was horrible, but they were in it...
It is a great thing for a factory to do if not for anything at least research...