Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Oct 2003, 17:32 (Ref:762097)   #1
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trois-Rivières Finished

It's sad to see such a popular race go away. From RDS.ca.

English Translation (by google):
GP of Three-Rivers: it is the end! The general president-director of the Great Price of Three-Rivers, Leon Méthot, announced today whom it had of another choice to only put an end to the activities of this motor weekend of races. Mr. Méthot is convinced to have very tried to guarantee to the event a financing responsible and disappointed not to have reached that point. Since the withdrawal of the mixed liability company of Player' S, the direction multiplied the steps to guarantee to the event a stable and sufficient financing to guarantee quality of it. But, finally, it was a waste of time and effort.

Original French Text:
GP de Trois-Rivières : c'est la fin!
Le président-directeur général du Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières, Léon Méthot, a annoncé aujourd'hui qu'il n'avait d'autre choix que de mettre fin aux activités de ce week-end de courses automobile.
M. Méthot se dit convaincu d'avoir tout tenté pour garantir * l'événement un financement responsable et déçu de n'y être point parvenu.

Depuis le retrait de la commandite de Player's, la direction a multiplié les démarches pour garantir * l'événement un financement stable et suffisant pour en garantir la qualité.

Mais, finalement, ce fût peine perdue.

Last edited by LouisTheShark; 24 Oct 2003 at 17:33.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 17:40 (Ref:762101)   #2
Carousel
Rookie

Carousel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'est dommage.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 18:07 (Ref:762114)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Disappointing - Some of the best races I've seen were there. GV's coming out party, and some F1 drivers in Atlantic.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 20:08 (Ref:762224)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just out of curiosity, what's the likelihood that there will be a rally around this event once the F1 race has its funding secured? I'd think that there will be some sort of rebirth of the event on a smaller scale - perhaps in a year or two.

Maybe they need to step down from the Atlantics, which aren't exactly flush with participants right now, anyway.

edit: Star Mazda? Fran Am?

Last edited by paul-collins; 24 Oct 2003 at 20:16.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Oct 2003, 00:23 (Ref:762362)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Atlantic will come back when the economy improves and they lower costs..

It's sad to lose that race, I'm very glad I had the opportunity to see it this year. I think it was my favorite event of the year. Hopefully it can be revived in one form or another...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Oct 2003, 07:50 (Ref:762497)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Triste nouvelle !

That's the way some spot disapear, like Monthléry...

One chance to born again ?
Old 25 Oct 2003, 14:36 (Ref:762725)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
R.I.P. Trois-Rivieres Race Weekend

A victim of nicotine withdrawal, she will be missed

By Ed Moody (Canadian Motorsport Archives)

It is with deep sadness that I have to announce the passing of a dear friend "Trois Rivieres". Trois was always exciting to be around, a fun spot with a pool in the middle. Over the past couple of years the Government of Quebec has been nursing Trois after finding out that it was suffering badly from nicotine withdrawal. Regretfully a decision was made by the new government for the removal of life support.

Predominantly French, it was a place that the English race fan was treated to the French culture. It began as a simple street race but quickly grew to become one of the greatest events in Canada. Who can ever forget Gilles in the Can-Am Dalaragh in 1977?

I've enclosed a baby picture of Trois and because of the people I've made contact with over the past few years will be making sure that the event will never be forgotten.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 17:19 (Ref:762851)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so no racing at TroisR?
no ALMS, no SPeedWC, no T/A?
it was a pretty neat venue how terrible indeed.
Well move it all to the nearest road course then...
Old 25 Oct 2003, 18:42 (Ref:762915)   #9
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad, I will miss Trois Rivières. A wonderful place.

I cannot agree though, that Player's withdrawal is to blame for the circuit's closure. It makes sound like motorsport has to be leech on the tobacco industry. Guys and gals at sanctioning bodies and racing promoting circles, your time to grow up has already past.

We have seen this coming for more than ten years, but instead of getting prepared, be creative and look for other funding sources - as other sports and artistic events did - you continued to suck up "Mamma Smoke" breasts, and gorge on its easy money. It was actually a two-way outlet, as the tobacco industry was also squeezed out of other advertisement fields, and racing is (soon to become "was") one of its last ad opportunities.

One must remember that tobacco sponsorship was allowed by the US agencies with the explicit intent of helping the racing industry to buy time and look for other sources of sponsorship (this has been reported countless times by nation-wide press, and repeated by promoters and sponsors alike). Past all these years, what has been done? Nothing; we are still living like 1985.

Maybe now more people will start to realize that road course racing is indeed in dire straits in North America. Some of us love the sport too much to see the reality of what is ahead of us, but we need to face that, sadly, the mass media - as well as own collective lack of brilliance regarding promotion and strategic thinking - has transformed Nascar in a synonym to car racing. Also, it means that it has become incresingly difficult to road racing teams to find sponsorship, as:

- attendance to all ALMS series races have been declining in the last three years (even at Sebring, our last stand);

- the field of entries is poorer, quality and quantity-wise (including ALMS);

- racing manufacturing like Lola had poor sales for the last thre years (at the US GP I talked with a person that represents Lola in the United States and he confessed that their sales figures are not even 25% of what they had expected - and, boy, Lola is amongst those that fared best!).

- how many new Porsches have we seen these years at ALMS? Three?

- why is Rafanelli bailing out?

- Don Panoz's works team has been closed, and it is unlikely that any private team will field Panozes next year.

- Don Panoz has whispered that he is not going to continue to pour "millions of dollars per year" to keep the ALMS afloat.

Call me "Mr. Gloom and Doom" if you want but, as they in Uruguay, "the blindest man is the one that doesn't want to see".

We either get road racing back on course (sorry for the pun) or the fate of Trois Rivières is only the beginning.

Muzza
Old 26 Oct 2003, 02:39 (Ref:763139)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
- attendance to all ALMS series races have been declining in the last three years (even at Sebring, our last stand);

Source?

- the field of entries is poorer, quality and quantity-wise (including ALMS);

Transition rules, let's see what happens in 05'. For the most part, it was just LMP900 that suffered.

- racing manufacturing like Lola had poor sales for the last thre years (at the US GP I talked with a person that represents Lola in the United States and he confessed that their sales figures are not even 25% of what they had expected - and, boy, Lola is amongst those that fared best!).

I agree that sales of proto's have been low. Of course, that nothing of real worth has been built may, or may not be a contributor.

You mean new Porsche team entrants? The last thing needed is more Porsche entrants. The growth in Ferrari has been nice, and hoping that BMW sticks.

This statement suggests that you haven't been reading the news, and makes some of your other points questionable. Check the news archives, you'll find out what is happening with Rafanelli.

- Don Panoz's works team has been closed, and it is unlikely that any private team will field Panozes next year.

You really believe that one?

- Don Panoz has whispered that he is not going to continue to pour "millions of dollars per year" to keep the ALMS afloat.

Source?
Old 26 Oct 2003, 02:58 (Ref:763152)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the Road Atlanta press conference called "State of the Series", virtually every point made about the ALMS was refuted, and in fact Dr. Panoz advised us to believe NOTHING we had heard about him. "Remember," he said, "that 90% of all motor racing rumours are " Other things he said: "I am not sick, I am not retiring, I am not bankrupt, and none of my businesses are for sale."

And as for Trois-Rivieres, which is not, in fact, in the United States or anywhere near it, rendering
Quote:
One must remember that tobacco sponsorship was allowed by the US agencies with the explicit intent of helping the racing industry to buy time and look for other sources of sponsorship
this remark a non sequitur, we were told during the race this August that the reason that race was being cancelled is the failure of the organizers to convince anybody to take up the sponsorship after Players was booted out by the government. This has nothing to do with how many Porsches can dance on the head of a pin. It has everything to do with the fact that all the real money in Canada is invested in liquor and cigarettes, and nobody else wants or is able to finance that race.

Incidentally, Tim Hortons is owned by Americans. Did you know that? Maybe that's why they don't want to sponsor any Canadian racing events or teams.
Old 26 Oct 2003, 05:13 (Ref:763224)   #12
fia289
Rookie

Canada
fia289 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Trois Rivieres might not be dead after all,

The mayor of the city indicated they might take over the event, but it would probably not have the same prestige as in the past. Probably mostly local stuff...

The problem was since Players had withdrawn it's support, the Goverment had been subsidizing the event, but that money ran out this year. With no major sponsor the outlook for a profitable venture was bleak therefore the event was cancelled by the current promoter. The fact is Tobaco has enormous amount of money for marketing while other companies are just unable to justify the expense. Trois Rivieres was not the race of the year in Canada, it's F1... Why is F1 in jeorpady... The inability for tabaco sponsership....no one is steping to the plate.

I had been going there since 96 and I have to confess this year the attendance was better than ever, the problem was the ALMS race was just at the wrong time of the Day. It was just too hot, I had to take a break at one point. The ALMS had brought back a level of profesionalism that had been missing for a few years and it was a darn good show. Too bad Mosport here I come.

Fred
Old 26 Oct 2003, 08:47 (Ref:763375)   #13
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund

Source?
1.) I attended ten ALMS races in the last three years alone, so I believe can assess that with some knowledge;
2.) I have not attended Petit Le Mans or Sebring these years, but close friends of mine did and they saw the reduction of public;
3.) I had asked this specific question to two people that work at IMSA. Both confirmed that. Note: I asked these two guys in different opportunities. And both have been “around the block” for a number of years – I do respect what they say.
4.) Finally, I asked a Canadian friend about Mosport, and he said the same.

Quote:

You mean new Porsche team entrants? The last thing needed is more Porsche entrants. The growth in Ferrari has been nice, and hoping that BMW sticks.
I am all for diversity - no more Porsches, please! What I meant is that not even the number of Porsche chassis is increasing significantly. Most teams are using chassis from last years (check the chassis numbers).
What I would like you to realize is that most teams (no matter the category) have suffered a significant budget (and personnel) reduction. Porsches have been (for how long? Thirty years?) the most affordable way to introduce a new team to sportscar racing. Now, if no new Porsches are coming, is this concerning or not?
And, from a diversity point of view, the Ferrari cars are sort of occupying the space occupied by Vipers (I am speaking on number of entries / promotional point of view, not technical) – so, at best...

Quote:
This statement suggests that you haven't been reading the news, and makes some of your other points questionable. Check the news archives, you'll find out what is happening with Rafanelli.
Again, this is a matter of being realistic. Yes, I have been reading the news (“too much”, one might say). Did you see how many things have to fall in place for Rafanelli to stay put? And under what circumstances? Are you happy with that?
(I guarantee there are few people that would like them to stay more them me! As I travel a lot for business reasons, I have the chance of going to Olive Garden often. Just because of the Olive Garden sponsorship to Rafanelli I went to Olive Garden 73 times in the last two years (how do I know? I just counted the ticket stubs. By the way, I am not counting the number of meals – that would be higher – but the number of visits... After that I guess my sanity is also questionable).

Quote:
You really believe that one?
Yes, I do. Why shouldn’t I? This has been in the press for a while (if you think these are also superceded news, as you hinted about my statement on Rafanelli, check the most recent Autosport issue, page 20).
Can you name a team that is going to field Panozes next year? Once again, I would love to see it happening, but all the signs indicate otherwise.

Quote:
Source?
Don Panoz himself, on the week before the Sears Point race, speaking in San Francisco.
A friend of mine who is a moderator in another forum (not Ten Tenths) and that attended the Panoz reception before the Sebring race this year said that Don Panoz was even more incisive on this conceern at that occasion than what I heard myself.

Hence I believe my comments have some foundation.

Sportscars are my favorite motorsport category, and I am quite concerned about its future. Seeing the budgets (and crews) shrinking the way they did is definitely a problem.

The new (or renewed) ELMS are definitely great news – I cannot wait for next years’ championship, bringing back the 1000 km classic races, under an unified code of rules – but what about sportscar racing in North America?
Old 26 Oct 2003, 09:12 (Ref:763390)   #14
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
At the Road Atlanta press conference called "State of the Series", virtually every point made about the ALMS was refuted, and in fact Dr. Panoz advised us to believe NOTHING we had heard about him. "Remember," he said, "that 90% of all motor racing rumours are " Other things he said: "I am not sick, I am not retiring, I am not bankrupt, and none of my businesses are for sale."
Liz, I read the whole transcript of the Road Atlanta as soon as it became available – and I have not said anything like “Panoz is sick/retiring/bankrupt/selling his business”. I just said – as Don Panoz himself has done – that he is scaling down his motorsport activities. Incidentally, this already happened from 2001 to 2002 and from 2002 to 2003 (ask the Panoz crew, discretely).

And Don Panoz has made comments about the need for the series to become financially self-sustainable ( remember at least on interview with him on tv when he was quite clear about that).

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
And as for Trois-Rivieres, which is not, in fact, in the United States or anywhere near it, rendering this remark a non sequitur, we were told during the race this August that the reason that race was being cancelled is the failure of the organizers to convince anybody to take up the sponsorship after Players was booted out by the government. This has nothing to do with how many Porsches can dance on the head of a pin. It has everything to do with the fact that all the real money in Canada is invested in liquor and cigarettes, and nobody else wants or is able to finance that race.

Incidentally, Tim Hortons is owned by Americans. Did you know that? Maybe that's why they don't want to sponsor any Canadian racing events or teams.
Liz, I know where Trois Rivières is – but thank you anyway.

Your remark about the inability of the organizers of securing alternative sources of funding is exactly what I wrote about. Now, the fact that “Mamma Smoke” sponsorship was known for years, wasn’t it? For how long? In Canada, some seven in years, isn’t it? (depends on what criteria you use to start to count the years, as the legislation was altered in the process – how do I know? My mother used to help artists to set exhibitions on Canada, and cigarette money funded many of them) Erm, had the organizers time enough to do their homework or not?

Why are most of these complains coming from inside motorsport – whereas other activities (as I mentioned) have been diligently planning the arrival of these days of no more tobacco money? Because the money was to easy, and the search for a solution was postponed and postponed and...

What do you mean by “all real money in Canada is invested in liquor and cigarettes”. I really did not understand this part.

And don’t forget Bombardier, who paid I-don’t-even-know-how-much to be IRL’s title sponsor (freaking hell, couldn’t they had put that money in CART instead?) and of the Indianapolis Speedway.
Old 26 Oct 2003, 21:05 (Ref:763888)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
Finally, I asked a Canadian friend about Mosport, and he said the same.
My impressions are quite different about Mosport, and everyone with whom I've talked (and that includes the track manager, Myles Brandt) says the same - that attendance was up by about 20% this year. And it's a trend.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 27 Oct 2003, 22:11 (Ref:765111)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not especially wild about street circuits...especially if they are fairly short and tight...

but Trois-Rivieres was a fairly good race to watch, and I liked to watch the cars run through the "Arch".....certainly a Kodack Moment for the series that SpeedChannel always sued in their ALMS telecast promotions....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 27 Oct 2003, 22:12 (Ref:765114)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Boy..talk about transposing letters in a post!!!!

SpeedChannel "used" the clips...I don't think they went to litigation to get access to a 5 second video cip....

Old 29 Oct 2003, 04:44 (Ref:766471)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Agree with Paul Collins -- Mosport's attendance has been steadily rising -- and remember this year we were part of the blackout of the entire Northeast on that weekend and our attendance was still up 20% this year.

As for "other events" getting funding -- the LPGA round was relocated to Britain due to loss of tobacco funding; the Womens Pro Tennis Canadian stop was cancelled altogether when Virginia Slims was booted out; the Jazz Festival will end this year due to no Du Maurier money, and the Symphony of Fire ended 2 years ago when Benson & Hedges was kicked out.

THERE IS NO MONEY IN CANADA FOR THESE THINGS. Which perhaps means we are too third world to deserve them, but I would hate to think that was true. The fact is that nobody else can or will pay and so everything moves to places where they will, and we have to go there if we want to enjoy them.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:43 (Ref:766508)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I really don't think tobacco sponsorship encourages new smokers, and I could care less what name was on the sidepods of race cars, but really, if the only way something can exist is by the funding from an industry that essentially makes money off killing people worth doing? Luckily, I don't believe that is the case...

Tobacco has long since pulled out of all levels of motorsport except for the very top levels (CART, F1, Nascar), yet as far as I have seen, all of the lower levels have marched on. Granted the car counts are lower than in previous years, but if the search for sponsorship is anything like the search for jobs, we're in a bear market right now, but one that is gradually turning upward. If 500k is all that's standing between Trois-Rivieres and race this year, then I think they should have no trouble in the future. Restarting an event is quite a thing though... still, I think it will be back.

Give it 2-3 years and there will be sponsorship money galor - it's up to motorsport to become desirable for sponsors. Liz gave the example of Tim Hortons, which pumps millions in sponsorship into Canadian sports teams (mostly hockey) at all levels each year... they need to have a reason to put their name on a race car - same with Canadian Tire, Magna Intl, CN Rail(which did sponsor Haberfeld in Montreal), PetroCanada, all of the big banks, Insurance companies, high-tech and other large Canadian companies that each put millions of dollars in sponsorship into sports - right now it's all going to hockey, football, curling, baseball..and even La Crosse before racing is considered.... that's what has to be changed.

To address some of the events Liz brough up, we still have dates on the PGA(Ontario) and LPGA(in Vancouver) tour, Rogers sponsored tennis tournaments in Montreal(Women) and Toronto (Men) this year, and the Davis Cup was held in Calgary. General Motors has stepped in to replace Du Maurier for the Montreal Jazz Festival, and Volkswagen replaced B&H for the Toronto Film Festival. The Symphony of Fire ended in Toronto and Vancouver (though the Casino in Hull across the river has something similar every year), and Ontario place has something on a smaller scale.

My general feeling is that tobacco sponsorship is gone, so might as well pretend it never existed. Instead of wishing it did, we should move on. If we can't get the money to go racing from other places, it is because we are either asking for too much money, or we're not worth sponsoring - both things that have to change in the new world that is motor racing.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Oct 2003, 12:20 (Ref:766857)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Thanks for the update, Jay -- Canadian Tire is owned by Imperial Tobacco, I think, so perhaps they will be the side door by which Forsythe is keeping his tobacco money (which PT mentioned on Wind Tunnel is in fact the case).

The Toronto jazz festival has been cancelled though -- Imperial Tobacco granted an extra year's funding at the plea of Mayor Mel, but there will now be no more, and they took in less than 20% of the "other funding" needed. The "big banks" in Canada are an interesting idea. Are they in fact owned by Canada?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 19:45 (Ref:767307)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
The big banks, though regulated through the Bank of Canada are corporations like any other - and do have sponsorship and advertising - mostly TV, but it's very small considering their size.

I have to wonder why the Toronto Jazz Festival can't get outside funding like Ottawa's (smaller) and Montreal's (larger). We have a Blues Festival here which is also pretty large, supported by (grr...) Cisco Systems. A Tulip Festival (don't laugh - they have actually have some big concerts), which gets by without tobacco or any significant government sponsorship (I'm on their planning committee).

Granted the new sponsors aren't putting anywhere near as much in as the tobacco companies were, but they are allowing these events to carry on with a smaller budget - I think the same will happen with racing.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 20:07 (Ref:767327)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
What about Bombarier???

If they can sponsor the Pagoda at Indy and get involved with teh IRL, why not with Trois-Rivieres....

To 73-Gstock:

If you're still reading this thread, cheack your message box or your e-mail...I responded to your IMSA query...

Old 29 Oct 2003, 23:23 (Ref:767558)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Seriously...like I said, if 500k was preventing this event from going ahead, that is rather sad... I have no doubt they could have raised that easily a few years ago, and they probably will in a few years.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 04:34 (Ref:767729)   #24
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Bombardier has been a firm that is on shakey ground.

The banks are pretty widely held, and most of it is in Canadian hands.

CTR.A is owned by Imperial Tobacco? I'm not aware of this, and even if they owned a minority holding, how would affect what CTR.A could and could not do?
Old 31 Oct 2003, 16:40 (Ref:769366)   #25
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.pitpass.com/news2/news.cfm?newsid=7875
The event has a new sponsor and promoter.