Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 7 Dec 2003, 03:29 (Ref:805856)   #1
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian 'Pete' Geoghegan

The greatest sedan steerer Australia has ever seen without question.His extraordinary achievements included:Three Sports Car Titles 1963,1965&1976.Five Touring Car Titles 1964,1966,1967,1968&1969.One Bathurst (endurance race) victory 1973.Big Pete as he was known to everyone,was a man with a great sense of humor & car control which had to be seen to be believed.He was also one part(Allan Moffat was the other), of the touring car race which has gone down in folklore as the greatest race this country has ever witnessed (Easter Monday Bathurst 1972).Pete will be sorely missed by all those who ever witnessed him power sliding the Mustang at various racetracks around the country.

R.I.P. big fellah..
Old 7 Dec 2003, 04:02 (Ref:805860)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big Black Pete

Good one Moff, he was something else in that Mustang and noting the inadequacies of the equipment at the time he really did perform wonders.

At least we can say we saw him race and enjoyed the hell out of it!
Old 8 Dec 2003, 05:52 (Ref:806398)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I never saw him race or even know that much about him , but his exploits are legendary and will remain that way for a very long time i would imagine.

Its sad when we loose anyone in our choosen sport let alone a legend as Pete Geoghegan one that will surely be missed forever.

RIP Pete.

P.S I do have a question and im sure its not out of line at all , but his name was Ian why and how did he get the nickname Pete ???
Old 9 Dec 2003, 20:30 (Ref:807762)   #4
Richard Davis
Rookie

Richard Davis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first ever motor racing meeting I attended was at Lakeside in the early to mid sixties & saw Pete in his legendary white with green stripes Mustang up against Bob Jane,Jim McKeown,Peter Manton etc. The Mustang with its flashing headlamps & the front wheels up in the air around corners is a memory which won't be forgotten. Another memory is also Lakeside in the mid-seventies....Pete & brother Leo both in Porsche 911's side by side with one LHD & the other RHD. Pete....you will be greatly missed.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 13:23 (Ref:818185)   #5
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a excellent letter in the latest issue of Australian Muscle Car about the great man & the tribute from Mark Oastler is spot on also.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 04:01 (Ref:819641)   #6
Formula 5000
Rookie

Formula 5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I clearly remember the extreme angles he pushed his early Mustangs to. Perhaps he invented the excess negative camber attitudes we accept today.
He will always be remembered for his competitivness, his quiet acceptance speeches and for never "closing the door" nor punting someone off.
A great racer from a golden era.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 02:10 (Ref:1253053)   #7
Waz at the Farm
Rookie

Waz at the Farm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the great Ian Geoghegan, before he was known to the general public as "Pete", mostly at Warwick Farm. I saw him in many cars Jaguar MkI, Aston Martin Zagato, Cortina GT, Lotus 23s, and in a Lotus Elan chasing Spencer Martin's Ferrari LM250 around the "Esses" at the Farm. But like many I remember him best in those two Mustangs. Ohhhhh, The noise from those cars!
On the warn up lap, down Hume Straight, he always got a standing ovation, with the Mustang, and I'll always remember his smile and his wave.
Those were truly great days.

R.I.P. "Pete"

Last edited by Waz at the Farm; 16 Mar 2005 at 02:12.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1253177)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ian "Pete" Geoghegan was a man whom I never got to see/remember seeing race.

His history however is part of Australian motorsport folklore and by many he is missed without doubt.

Seeing still pics of his Mustang is spine tingling - not from the fact that it's a Mustang, but rather the fact that it's a driver who is passionate, pushing, and giving it his all.

The closest I can relate to Ian is seeing Peter Brock on TV in the Wellington Street Race in 1987 (or thereabouts??) in the Advantage(??) Commodore going for broke.

Close study of still shots tell a lot about a man we all miss, and who was so humble and appreciative of his fans and followers in an era when motorsport was about purity - muscle to power the car and muscle to turn the beast through the turns.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1270762)   #9
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pete - the Rally Driver

I had the honour of spending a week navigating for Pete in the Jaguar Drivers Club of Australia 1998 Mountain Rally (Mk2 Jaguar). We finished 2nd in class and the highest placed Jaguar. Pete was rapt, his best result ever.

Now a true story from that event. We were late leaving lunch on day four (Yass) due to a technical malfunction (the Jag broke down - "SU" Fuel Pump), and being placed well overall at that time we were both pretty p___d off that our hard earned position was fading away. We decided to forget the open road speed limits (but slowed to the signed limit in towns and at highway crossings) to try and minimise our time lost.

As many of you know Pete had a very bad speech stammer, which often made navigating for him an exercise in forward planning and patience (waiting for the reply/answer), but it mattered nothing to me as he was a legend and I had all week to navigate for him.

During that stage after lunch, I witnessed the most amazing car control and skill first hand from a gifted natural - he never crossed the median line or dropped a wheel off the bitumen. The speeds reached were awesome - but something amazing happened that I will never forget - at speeds over 75MPH, Pete's stammer disappeared, and for around 40 minutes (on and off - we passed a few towns) he gave me a perfectly clear and unbroken (except by my navigation instructions) commentary on driving a Mk2 Jaguar at speed on the open road. Truely a wonderful experience. We left lunch 40 minutes late (Yass), but arrived at the next control (Gunning) only 20 minutes late. I recall we averaged something like 123km/h over the stage via Murrumbateman, Gundaroo, Jerrawa and Dalton (and collected all answers and via point clues en-route).

Until this day the car owner (& Rally Director) did not know what happened that afternoon (but I suspect he thought we might have taken a short cut and bribed the answers from another competitor - but that would have been cheating), now he will find out the truth!

Thanks Pete for that wonderful week in the Jaguar, and all those racing memories at Lakeside and Surfers Paradise in the Mustang.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1280716)   #10
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gew up watching Ian Geoghegan race. I didn't miss a meeting at Warwick Farm, Oran Park or Catalina from October 1962 until May 1973. Ian and Leo Geoghegan were at most of them.

I lived in Eastwood from 1984 to 1995, and while walking my dog, I found I had a neighbour nearby (in Yaraan Avenue Epping) who I had admired for years. Ian Geoghegan. I got talking to him on a few occasions, and once he relaxed, that stammer almost disappeared.

IIRC, the 'Pete' part came from Bill Tuckey. Back in the early sixties, the Geoghegan cars were black, and so were the driver's racesuits. There was a cartoon character at the time (Warner Bros, I think) who was a baddie, and was a big dog called 'Black Pete'. Bill reckoned Ian looked like Black Pete when he was in his racesuit and called him 'Black Pete'. The name stuck, even after the cars and racesuits had been white for years.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 04:08 (Ref:1526668)   #11
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching some touring car racing from Warwick Farm today. Pete won of course wished I had got to see him race in person