Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 May 2003, 11:08 (Ref:596759)   #1
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso the new TGF

just heard comments the good ole flav is building the renault team around his new superstar in the form Alonso..
Remember the same being done around shumacher and rest as they say is history..
Old 12 May 2003, 13:42 (Ref:596933)   #2
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He should have sign Mark over Trulli. Mark and Alonso would have been one hell of a Team
Old 12 May 2003, 14:39 (Ref:596975)   #3
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well not good news for Jacques if he was looking for a possible Renault drive next year. Damn you Alonso why do you have to be so fast!
Agreed Mark would have been better than Trulli but Mark's got his own team now at Jag so I don't think he minds too much.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 12 May 2003, 14:56 (Ref:596995)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
agreed Teddy all I was implying is Flav will be kicking himself by years end
Old 12 May 2003, 23:46 (Ref:597481)   #5
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is not the next TGF, he's just Alonso, I think he's even better than that german dude(not frentzen obviously).
Old 13 May 2003, 20:17 (Ref:598285)   #6
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TFS

The Flying Spaniad

hopefully not litterally
Old 13 May 2003, 20:46 (Ref:598302)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we are all getting a little carried away with Mark Webber and with Alonso. Both drivers are doing well and have shone against their team mates now and in the past. However MS is leagues ahead of either of them at this time. Lets see them win some races first!! Then win at least one title. MS has achieved more in F1 than drivers even dare to dream.
Old 14 May 2003, 00:08 (Ref:598394)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a bit early to compare Alonso with TGF but with the way Renault's developing Alonso could well be winning races consistently in the next few years.
Old 14 May 2003, 04:18 (Ref:598458)   #9
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
I think we are all getting a little carried away with Mark Webber and with Alonso. Both drivers are doing well and have shone against their team mates now and in the past. However MS is leagues ahead of either of them at this time. Lets see them win some races first!! Then win at least one title. MS has achieved more in F1 than drivers even dare to dream.
I totally agree neilap...they have to win some races first.

I also agree with Jetsetter...Renault is really starting to come around and they will be a force to be reckoned with much sooner than later.

Last edited by TeddyG; 14 May 2003 at 04:20.
Old 14 May 2003, 08:25 (Ref:598544)   #10
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
MS has achieved more in F1 than drivers even dare to dream.
Due to a lack of competition! Hill, Vileneuve and Hakinen managed to break the deadlock but then sunk back into the ether.
Alonso and Raikonnen are here to stay, where did i put that air guitar, it time for 'my generation'.
Old 14 May 2003, 13:09 (Ref:598715)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the new generation of drivers is much more impressive than Michael's main rivals. Alonso and Raikkonen will definately be fighting for titles, adn Webber, Montoya, Button and perhaps guys like Wilson and Da Matta could do if they get the right breaks. Then there are people like Bourdais, Pantano and Wirdheim waiting in the wings.

Michael hasn't really 'acheived' that much in terms of truly stunning duels and great racecraft. No other champion of 10 years' experience has ever made as many mistakes as him. Raikkonen already makes less mistakes.
Old 14 May 2003, 13:34 (Ref:598743)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raikkonen, less mistakes! I dont know about that. KR makes too many IMO, especially when pressured. MS's mistakes seem to come more from boredom than anything else.

I dont know if we can just say MS's accomplishments are down to lack of competition. We need to look at why there was no competition. There was no competition because no one else was able to put a team together the way he did and maximise the performance of a car the way he did. Its not the other teams shortcommings that made him great its his obsessive and unyeilding attitude towards F1. Few, if any have been able to create an F1 team from a team that were more hype than hap.

Again, I think everyone knows I am not a MS and especially not an RS fan. At least MS has the balls to race, the skill to win and the intelligence to build a team "successfully" around himself. When Webber and the rest can accomplish that then they can be compared. Right now JPM, GF, JV and a few others are still ahead of the newbies. I for one am anxiously awaiting the "new comming" but till then I cant pretend that everyone who has a couple lucky races and some good ones is the next great.
Old 15 May 2003, 00:38 (Ref:599241)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lack of competition from Hill, JV, Mika?? I may agree that Hill isn't good enough, but JV and Mika..din't people say they are great drivers/racers? And look at the situations in which they manage to beat Michael to the championship... 96 - Michael's first year in a team that lost their ways of winning. 97 - Michael's 2nd year with a car that has as many flaws as Jaguar. 98 - Mclaren designed a car almost 2s faster than anyone else. And the fact that Michael's ability to actually be competing til the last couple of races in 97/98 speaks volumes of his ability as much as his WDC years.

"Michael hasn't really 'acheived' that much in terms of truly stunning duels and great racecraft. No other champion of 10 years' experience has ever made as many mistakes as him. Raikkonen already makes less mistakes."

Of course Kimi makes less mistakes when he is in F1 for only 3 years. But if you actually think Kimi is more "cool" than Michael and less prone to mistakes.. just think back the past few races. Maybe other champions with 10 year experience make less mistakes... but NONE had won as many titles/races as him If that's the way things are, i'd rather he keep making mistakes and winning!
Old 15 May 2003, 02:01 (Ref:599260)   #14
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Raikkonen is the pick of the bunch,he's head and shoulders above the rest.
Old 15 May 2003, 07:22 (Ref:599417)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which is good news. We do need some awesome driver to take over when Michael hangs his helmet.
Old 15 May 2003, 10:44 (Ref:599574)   #16
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no "new Schumacher". This is Michael's 13th season in F1 and it looks to me like he's even more competitive, obsessive and focused than he's ever been. It took 50 years of GP racing for MS to appear, seems to me it'll be a long time before someone equally as focused will appear.

Here's the question - of the current rookies, which can you see in 10 years time being as competitive as MS is right now?
Old 15 May 2003, 12:02 (Ref:599640)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I agree

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
He should have sign Mark over Trulli. Mark and Alonso would have been one hell of a Team
That would be very excellent, my two favourite drivers in the same team.
Old 15 May 2003, 12:10 (Ref:599645)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, certainly Alonso isn't the new TGF, but he and Mark Webber are future champions in F1.
Old 15 May 2003, 12:33 (Ref:599674)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Not to forget Kimi... and Fisi... and Montoya...

The quality of drivers are there. Though none are as complete as Michael now, i'm sure one or two of them will carry the torch.

Old 15 May 2003, 16:04 (Ref:599868)   #20
Mansell
Rookie

Mansell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do I know that Alonso will become the next Sato if and when he has a off weekend like Kimi had in Spain?

The Renault is a great car and the least Alonso should do is what he did. He is giving signs he will be a great part of the circus in the future but it is early to say what people are saying about him.
Old 15 May 2003, 16:23 (Ref:599896)   #21
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's doing a little more with that Renault than could normally be expected, you only have to compare his performances with those of his far more experianced team mate to see that.
Old 15 May 2003, 16:34 (Ref:599917)   #22
Mansell
Rookie

I think Trulli is doing well considering he gets 2nd class treatment. That an his usual lack of pace during the race.
Old 15 May 2003, 16:37 (Ref:599925)   #23
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who says he gets second hand treatment, unless you work for the team you don't know that! And why would the new comer get favouritism over the old hand anyway?
Old 15 May 2003, 16:53 (Ref:599943)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2nd class treatment ? I always thought they get the same level. Or Briatore is "arranging" things favouring Alonso ?

And on what purpose ?
Old 15 May 2003, 16:59 (Ref:599948)   #25
Mansell
Rookie

Of course Briatore is arranging the team around Alonso. The same way he did with Schumi back at Benetton.