Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Closed Thread

Old 9 Dec 2004, 02:41 (Ref:1174928)   #7326
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, here's my latest-I know I'm basing it off an outdated version (CG's v. 2)-but I think I have quite an interesting idea here

Yeah, I let the detail get a little bit out of hand, but this is the first track I've done in a long time

Plus I don't think it'll be a bad audition to get the detail job later.
(Though not the best detail I've done/can do)

I lengthened the run into the infield as had been suggested, but kept the same late-apexer. This let me add two shortcuts, one of which required a separate pitlane, also added. I then modified the esses after by turning them into a big 180-degree corner. I turned the first corner into a decreasng-radius, tightened turn 2, and loosened turn 4. I added a tighter turn in the middle of the looong turn/straight after turn 2 in place of a chicane that would have ruined the section. I slightly altered the last corner as well. Last (and maybe least), I placed a chicane on the long main straight.
I defined "the snail" more by turning it into a downhill section leading to a tunnel under the oval I decided to make after seeing the shape made by the large corner and the rest of that space of the track. The oval would make a nice site for NASCAR or testing for manufacturers-even magazines-and would have totally different corners-the larger one being harder as it is only banked at the entrance and exit; it flattens out at the top/center to incorporate the last straight of the road course... the other corner would be only slightly banked, to make the turn more natural for the road course. Another interesting feature is that, like the rest of the the track, the oval runs in a clockwise direction. The oval conveniently uses the same pitlane/paddock as the alternate club circuit.

After this, I still thought the track was a bit short-so added a tight, mountain section [which includes a new hairpin as both the originals had been replaced and was influenced by the trial mountain track of the gran turismo series (come to think of it, the first turn seems like the first of Mid-Field from the same game-and the oval would be like the test oval)] after turn 4 and another shortcut.

I also added a dragstrip (keeping mind to scale, too ;-) )-but I kept it separate from the main straight of the road course instead merging it with the pitlane. I made a very large paddock area for both this and the main circuit above the strip. The main road heading into the track goes through the paddock, so those entering may see lots before they even arrive. The road leads under the stands (on the infield) and tracks, coming to large open parking and camping areas.

Enough of that; what do you think?
My only regret is that I'm so far behind

Ah yes, one last thing-where do we want this sucker to be placed?

Last edited by RacerGuy2; 9 Dec 2004 at 02:48.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 9 Dec 2004, 02:53 (Ref:1174933)   #7327
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
(To be added to the end of the 6th paragraph)
I put some esses in there and also another hairpin or two. It'd be quite a hair-raising section
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 9 Dec 2004, 03:39 (Ref:1174957)   #7328
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice job RG2 ...

However, personally I don't like for a circuit to have SO many different variants on them. A circuit should have a simple GP circuit, and a Short Circuit. Occasionally maybe a Club Circuit, but as long as the Club Circuit doesn't go too much out of the way...

The main GP circuit however, is very good, and I don't mind it too much. However, my opinion remains, the one that fw did above is still numero uno ...

As for the detailing. Well, to be honest, I much rather prefer p's details. However, for the amount of detailing which you have done, it's still a great job, and it really does look like you've put a lot of effort into it...

OK, I've taken the liberty to add a few varients to fw's circuit above. By no means say this is the 'final' circuit, but I believe that it is ...

There are two options for short circuits. Both creates long straights. However, whether you want the esses of the tricky 'Shanghai thingy', you can go either way. I've added a small, simple and yet also surprisingly good (in my opinion) club circuit. The last and final varient I made was a bypass of the chicane on the top. By no means should the GP circuit have no chicane, however, the option is still there...

Last edited by f1freak; 9 Dec 2004 at 03:42.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 05:57 (Ref:1174991)   #7329
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All this action, and I haven't had a say! Curse these impending final exams!

Anyway, I did find the time to make some minor retooling to what can be a very good circuit. The most major is removing the Shanghai Snail. I don't have any real problems with it, but the circuit is a little too tedious for my liking with it in. I also created an alternate route through the infield section by running the stretch that leads back onto the main circuit backwards, then catching that long left before the Carousel. I also slightly reprofiled the pit chicane, Turn 1, and Turn 4.

Last edited by Fish_Flake; 9 Dec 2004 at 05:58.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 07:25 (Ref:1175020)   #7330
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a new favourite ...
Old 9 Dec 2004, 09:42 (Ref:1175101)   #7331
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the pit chicane should be tighter than that Fish as before it offered an overtaking .... but then you have made it flow nice as it is there which would help overtaking on turn 1 ....... but its great lets see what happens today with the track as ill edit it when im back from work. (if it needs it i mean :P)

ciao Wooshy
Old 9 Dec 2004, 12:26 (Ref:1175210)   #7332
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the final version is taking shape. It looks very good, guys! Thumbs up for that!

On thing I'd change, though, is putting the pits and paddock on the inside of the track. It appears there's plenty of room there. And not every tracks needs Sepang-/Sakhir-/Shanghai-esque paddocks...

Last edited by Lustigson; 9 Dec 2004 at 12:29.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1175351)   #7333
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmmm gifs :| man i hate gifs when gifs are used they make the quailty **** and you can only use the colours that have been used before hand unless you save it as a Jpeg or you picture editing softwares natural file, but still the quaility is really bad ..... pngs i find are alot more effective.

sorry rant is over :P

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 9 Dec 2004 at 14:58.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1175363)   #7334
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
hmmmm gifs :| man i hate gifs when gifs are used they make the quailty **** and you can only use the colours that have been used before hand unless you save it as a Jpeg or you picture editing softwares natural file, but still the quaility is really bad ..... pngs i find are alot more effective.

sorry rant is over :P
I use GIFs rather than JPEGs because JPEGs often turn blurry once I save them. If the colors blur together, there is no way I can easily go back and edit it. with GIFs, the colors may be slightly off, but at least it makes editing a relative breeze.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 15:45 (Ref:1175370)   #7335
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
thats why i said PNG's alot more effective as much quaility as a jpeg and less space..... usually.

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 9 Dec 2004 at 15:46.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:10 (Ref:1175384)   #7336
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alright.

First of all, freak, yea, the track you referred to of mine was a bit off .

I like both FW and Fish's equally, but the only real thing i'd change is that i'd make the spoon more spoony.

I'll do an edit now, and then i think we should start finding out who does the final design (P, Lustig), and how were gonna name the corners and the circuit itself .
Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:24 (Ref:1175393)   #7337
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
What spoon?
Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:27 (Ref:1175395)   #7338
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Alrighto.

This is v.R5 . I believe this is close to the final one.

I ended up keeping the spoon as it is . I slightly tightened the first turn in the final chicane, put in an extra club shortcut, and put in the club pitlane.

Now, i believe the track is almost finished, so, we've got three more things to do.

1) Who wants do design the final design. I think it should be either pirenzo or Lustig.

2) What is gonna be the track name?

3) How are we gonna name the corners?
Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1175396)   #7339
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
The spoon is the turn in the lower left corner. It was shaped like a spoon at some time .
Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1175397)   #7340
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
well id like to have turn 4 called the pouch ..... dont ask why or the knife edge......
Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1175401)   #7341
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Well, we have to decide for a theme of the corner names. The first time around, we all had a choice of corners. This way, most of the corners ended up as Royksoppian Esses, Mandetti Chute and so on, which was pretty stupid. The second time around, the theme was "lesser known deceased F1-drivers", ie. Jo Bonnier, Onofre Marimon.

I though about calling the track McCarthy Raceway, after Mac, but that'd perhaps be a bit too personal? It could be Janotta too...
Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1175410)   #7342
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
You couldn't really make the spoon more spoony. You wouldn't have had enough room for sufficient run-off. I do understand the other changes, though.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:58 (Ref:1175418)   #7343
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
ive just realised pirenzo hasnt edit the track ..... would he like to change anything ????? and corner names urm a theme would be good but as you said can be cheesy ........ but im down for whatever. ....... anyway back to san andreas what a game but i wont say any more as there is a dedicated thread already :P
Old 9 Dec 2004, 17:16 (Ref:1175435)   #7344
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll have a go editing it if you don't mind waiting until tomorrow. I'm kinda distracted by other stuff atm. I might even have a go later.

So far I like CG's version the best.
Since then Martin's 'more interesting' bits have kinda spoiled the flow, sorry...
Old 9 Dec 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1175443)   #7345
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wishing Well Circuit

Evenin folks. Long time no see

Been trying to slowly ween myself off the net, but still doing the occasional bit of track drawing. Very nice MTR3, can't fault the current version at all. As you say TR, all that's left is to name the corners and the track itself. My vote goes for some more "traditional, clubby track" names which describe the nature of the corners themselves (like "Thunder Esses"), or named after "local legends" (which we make up of course, can base on ourselves even - "Fish Flake Garage Curve" - based on the local entrepreneur who funded the construction of the track ). Or for my next circuit (pictured below, intended as a more natural track, inspired by Bathurst), I had the idea of naming it with kinda hippy values - howz about stuff like Rainbow Bend, Everlasting Love Corner, etc. Or perhaps I'll just shut up now

Anything else I've missed? Not much I assume, after all, this was a "dying thread" cos of the image restrictions last time I was here

Last edited by crozier74; 9 Dec 2004 at 17:26.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 9 Dec 2004, 17:40 (Ref:1175463)   #7346
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
crozier damned nice track buddy i like it !!!
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1175492)   #7347
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Flake
You couldn't really make the spoon more spoony. You wouldn't have had enough room for sufficient run-off. I do understand the other changes, though.
I found out too. You still could, but then you'd have to move around with the corner after the spoon. Which'd be kinda stupid, so i left it as it is. It's quite good anyway .

Nice, croz!

P, eager to see what you cook up! .

Last edited by the_royksopp; 9 Dec 2004 at 18:07.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1175572)   #7348
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozier74
...or named after "local legends" (which we make up of course, can base on ourselves even - "Fish Flake Garage Curve" - based on the local entrepreneur who funded the construction of the track ).
Hooray! I'm the eccentric millionaire!
Old 9 Dec 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1175659)   #7349
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=7286

I've just decided.
THis is my edit
Old 9 Dec 2004, 22:06 (Ref:1175690)   #7350
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK guys, here are my thoughts on the MTR III. I didn't change too much regarding the GP circuit. I did add a number of club variant shortcuts, though.