Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 10 Dec 2007, 22:47 (Ref:2086052)   #1
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No seat for Tracy?

According to Speedtv things look bleak for Tracy

Forsythe have told him to renegotiate his contract or go

hopes of Forsythe running a 3rd car seem extremely slim after Speedtv also revealed that the team has layed off "massive" amounts of mechanics

At the moment, a 2nd entry must be in serious doubt

This is bad news for Champ Car because with the loss of Seabass it needs to keep the likes of Tracy who could now be headed to NASCAR

i believe he ran a few NBS races though with little sucess

The apparent downsizing of Forsythe is also a major cause for concern

here is the article

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/42007/
Old 10 Dec 2007, 23:00 (Ref:2086060)   #2
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may not like Tracy as a driver BUT, if Champ Car lets Tracy go, the small chance that CCWS will last beyond the 2008 season will become NO CHANCE.

CCWS has 3 races in Canada next year, Tracy draws the Canadian audience. If Tracy is gone CCWS is DONE.

Finished.

Forsythe is out of his mind if he does not honor the Tracy contract.

Just when you thought things could not get any worse at CCWS, it does.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 23:53 (Ref:2086092)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Champ Car without Paul Tracy will be it for me. yeah he isn't what he once was, but he is Champ Car and without him and as we've seen without the Lola CC just isn't the same.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 00:07 (Ref:2086098)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An abrupt change of tune there luke!

Yes, I will miss Paul Tracy if he is canned or jacks it in. And yes it will hurt Champcar a bit.

But come on. The man is so past it it's unreal. One day there has to be an injection of new blood, so why not now?

I mean, lets say the choice came down to Servia and Tracy for arguments sake - one stays, one is left without a seat. Is anyone seriously suggesting that PT should be kept? His performances have nowhere near justified it the past two seasons and it hurts to say that as a fan. A man who seems to think that driving is done astride other cars rather than on the tarmac is clearly in need of the exit door.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 00:14 (Ref:2086103)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Knowlesy you do have a point..Tracy was still amazing up to 2005, then 2006 onwards he was just well, one or two good drives then shocking driving...He is past it, but I would still like to see Paul Tracy in Champ Car some how, maybe as a team owner or manager but that obviously won't be the case with Forsythe! I dono. I have been a big Tracy fan since I've followed this series and for him to stop racing would be it IMHO for me along with the Lola. Yes the series does need new blood, but him leaving is like Ferrari leaving Formula 1, it just isn't the same...
Old 11 Dec 2007, 00:20 (Ref:2086107)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Ferrari left F1 many would rejoice. Well, I would. But anyways, I've got us off topic slightly!

Yes, it would be strange. He is Mr Champcar I guess. But other big stars have come and gone lets not forget. And he can only remain iconic if he performs IMO. Last year I almost didn't realise he was there until I noticed chunks of Forsythe littered everywhere (admittedly, I didn't pay much attention to the races, it was a tad uninspiring). I just can't see it getting better for him at all and it is sad to see.

From Champcars point of view, next year could be a sort of much needed reset. The dominant champion is gone and the crown is up in the air for any number of new candidates. Perhaps now would be an ideal time for PT to slide away, almost unnoticed?
Old 11 Dec 2007, 02:18 (Ref:2086154)   #7
Tony Clifton
Racer

I do not like Tracy as a driver.
I do not think Tracy is in his prime anymore.
But if Tracy is gone from ChampCar, literally, nobody is left that has ANY name recognition.
Bourdais is gone, the filed is down to 17 cars, filled with mainly unknown drivers.
At least with Tracy you knew he was going to SOMETHING stupid and he does have a long CCWS pedigree.
CCWS NEEDS recognizable drivers to draw ANY type of crowd.

If Tracy goes CCWS is about done, unless a miracle happens.

And this is coming from a long time CCWS supporter.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 02:45 (Ref:2086165)   #8
agosling
Racer

agosling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy as a driver, I can't stand, but Champcar needs any name they can get, if he goes they don't have much left.

This isn't the place to say it and win any friends, but Champcar really is on it's last legs, two open wheel championships like this can't be supported at the best of times and given that NASCAR is smashing both of them, only one will be able to survive and IRL is in better shape if only because the have Indy.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 05:07 (Ref:2086205)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
hopes of Forsythe running a 3rd car seem extremely slim after Speedtv also revealed that the team has layed off "massive" amounts of mechanics
At the moment, a 2nd entry must be in serious doubt
Selective use of information here, stradlin.

As has been mentioned by Tracy and Mickelright the staff layoffs has been in line with an engineering restructure for 2008 and onwards.

The addition of Tom Brown, Kenny Seewik (from NHL) and the advertising for new employees leads to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
This is bad news for Champ Car because with the loss of Seabass it needs to keep the likes of Tracy who could now be headed to NASCAR
Was it not you who was recently suggesting that once a successful driver had lost his touch or motivation in a series, lets say Tracy or even for arguments sake Hornish Jr, that a new driver would be a better option. As the successful driver didnt have anything to prove and isnt really interested anymore.

You never know Tracy 'could' be replaced by someone in the same league as Ryan Briscoe.

All in all though, this does seem a strange action from GF. I cant blame him for wanting to renegotiate PT's contract when he is paying him $3 million + to a driver who has been regularly outrun by his team mate.

That said why now. Why not when AJ was the future last year, why renegotiate a contract when there is not star teammate in the waking (apart maybe from Perrera who looks the goods)
Old 11 Dec 2007, 08:57 (Ref:2086287)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
That said why now. Why not when AJ was the future last year, why renegotiate a contract when there is not star teammate in the waking (apart maybe from Perrera who looks the goods)
Thats what Im interested in. Why try and cut the $$$ for Tracy now and not a year ago when he was trying to hang on to Allmendinger

Last edited by D.R.T.; 11 Dec 2007 at 09:01.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 10:23 (Ref:2086366)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
4 employees got let go apparently, with I believe most already replaced.

Considering the turmoil in the team and the fact he injured his back at Long Beach he did okay considering. If the team can pull together, plus put a permanent good driver in the other seat, I think Tracy can do a great job next year.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 10:57 (Ref:2086396)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Clifton
But if Tracy is gone from ChampCar, literally, nobody is left that has ANY name recognition.
Bourdais is gone, the filed is down to 17 cars, filled with mainly unknown drivers.
At least with Tracy you knew he was going to SOMETHING stupid and he does have a long CCWS pedigree.

Dead balls accurate.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 11:39 (Ref:2086425)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
would be a shame if Tracy missed out but remember last off season Forsythe were going on and on about money in an attempt to attract someone with money but they eventually gave in and ran 2 cars.

Could this possibly be a similar ploy ?

I really dont think if Tracy is out that its the end of Champcar , thats being very negative and not realistic in my view

I think all will work out by the time round 1 rolls around
Old 11 Dec 2007, 12:01 (Ref:2086442)   #14
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
everything moves on & champcar can survive without paul - they dont go to canada 3 times a year because of 1 driver. the series will be A Ok
Old 11 Dec 2007, 12:15 (Ref:2086447)   #15
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Clifton

it does seem to be slipping that way...

there is no confirmation that Tracy is going of course but with this and other rumours surrounding him it doesn't look good at all
Old 11 Dec 2007, 12:18 (Ref:2086448)   #16
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A poster identifying herself as "PT's Mom" started a thread at F-Troop about the fact her son had an ironclad five-year contract. I don't think there's anything "ironclad" about any five-year contracts connected with CC. The City of San Jose was supposed to make money in Year #9. Five-year contract with the City of Las Vegas but no promoter.

As someone at another forum pointed out, Tracy may have a five-year contract with Forsythe Championship Racing, Inc. But the assets of Forsythe Championship Racing, Inc., may have gone to Forsythe-Petit Racing, Inc., and he may not have a contract with that entity.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 15:55 (Ref:2086595)   #17
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The Toronto race already is under a certain amount of threat from the Steelback Brewery restructuring under court protection.
PT (the Thrill from West Hill) is a Toronto boy. West Hill is a district in the City of Toronto. I was half asleep during the Speed Report Sun. night but there was some indication that without PT Toronto was in more danger.
They love to hate him in Quebec but I don't think his loss will affect St. Jovite or Edmonton but he is likely the only Cdn. driver left and no Cdn. drivers will certainly affect Cdn. interest especially after this years mess of a TV program with Score TV.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 17:13 (Ref:2086639)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tracy does bring name recognition to the series, but one driver does not make a series. Plenty of young drivers are still to establish themselves, all that is needed is the correct exposure, and that comes from the right sort of television deal.

All this 'ChampCar is dead without Tracy' is a load of nonsense.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 19:07 (Ref:2086703)   #19
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And look how the treated Valiante and Ranger. And the Mexicans sure know how they treated Jourdain, Fernandez, Dominguez, etc.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 19:20 (Ref:2086710)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's loads of talent out there in ChampCar, with some amazing rookies in 2007. The trouble is, they are still largely unknown and unproven. It could be that Wilson is the only truly proven driver in a comeptitive car, so it will be hard for ChampCar to convince viewers that Doornbos, Ranger, Jani et al are as good as Bourdais or Tracy (or Castroneves or Hornish or Dixon, indeed). Only Graham Rahal really has the right level of name recognition to lead the series forward, and could he take the pressure yet?
Old 12 Dec 2007, 00:47 (Ref:2086936)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
How interesting would F1 be if the only "name" driver was Lewis and McLaren demanded to renegotiate his contract? How long would you watch a bunch of "talented" drivers you never heard of? How long would your patience last watching drivers get replaced multiple times during the same season?

I agree Tracy is past it and I agree one driver a series does not make, but he is the ONLY driver that most casual fans actually could name - maybe.

You can't build a fan base without recognizable drivers for the fans to be fans of.

This is the only series where instead of tire-warmers you need seat-warmers...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 04:13 (Ref:2086985)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could all be a ploy to see just how committed Tracy is.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 05:17 (Ref:2087001)   #23
Tony Clifton
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Could all be a ploy to see just how committed Tracy is.

In my opinion Tracy showed he was VERY committed through the years.
In 2003 he could have found a ride in the IRL.

In 2004, 2005 or 2006 he could have put a big effort into getting a NASCAR ride, but no, when the chips were down for CART/CCWS Tracy hung in there and acted as a draw for fans.

At this point Tracy does not appear to be turning his back on Forsythe rather Forsythe is turning his back on Tracy.

CCWS needs all the name brand drivers it can get.
Last time I checked nonbody was interested in watching Tony Clifton show up with a bag of money and race a champcar.

A big name racing series needs talents "name" drivers, otherwise it is nothing more than a sportsmans race.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 08:02 (Ref:2087044)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Yup I'm saying that from Forsythes perspective. Personally I think Tracy is all in.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 13:28 (Ref:2087206)   #25
indycool
Veteran

mountainstar, you're saying basically it's a controversy to stay in the news. IMO, they're not that smart.