Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Nov 2003, 18:33 (Ref:794313)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Alfa joins DTM

From German magazine Auto Motor und Sport:
Quote:
DTM: Alfa kommt zurück - Schumi schiebt mit
Mit dem Nachfolgemodell des aktuellen Alfa 156 wollen die Italiener mit Hilfe von Ferrari und Unterstützung von Michael Schumacher und Willi Weber ab 2005 wieder in der größten deutschen Tourenwagen-Rennserie mitmischen.
Für die Technik - Motor und Chassis - wird Ferrari verantwortlich zeichnen. Eine der Triebfedern hinter dem Projekt ist Michael Schumacher. Geplant ist der Einsatz von zunächst vier Fahrzeugen mit dem Nachfolgemodell des Alfa Romeo 156, der in zwei Jahren auf den Markt kommt. Alfa ist in der DTM ein alter Bekannter. Von 1993 bis 1996 traten die roten Renner mit einem allradgetriebenen Alfa 155 an. 1993 eroberte Nicola Larini für Alfa den Meistertitel.
Nach diversen Werbungsversuchen der DTM-Dachorganisation ITR in der Vergangenheit kommt die Initiative diesmal aus Italien. Alfa-Markenchef Daniele Bandiera prüft derzeit diverse Technik- und Budgetkonzepte. Er wird von Alfa Romeo-Deutschland-Chef Marc Pasture und Marketingleiter Dino Damiano unterstützt. Als Fahrer sind Gabriele Tarquini, Nicola Larini und Timo Scheider im Gespräch. Opel-Fahrer Scheider könnte bereits 2004 bei Alfa in der Tourenwagen-Europameisterschaft oder mit einem Ferrari in der GT-Meisterschaft fahren. Michael Schumacher protegiert Sebastian Stahl, den Sohn der Freundin seines Vaters. Schumacher-Manager Willi Weber will ein eigenes Team einsetzen.
Fahrerkarussell in vollem Gang
Derweil ist das DTM-Fahrerkarussell für 2004 in vollem Gange. Bei Abt-Audi kommt neben Christian Abt, Mattias Ekström und Martin Tomczyk Le Mans-Sieger Tom Kristensen neu dazu. Emanuele Pirro und Frank Biela wechseln zusammen mit ihrem Joest-Team von der American Le Mans-Serie in die DTM. Bei Opel ist Ex-Audi-Pilot Laurent Aiello im Gespräch.
Short translation:
In 2005 Alfa Romeo will join DTM again with the successor of the Alfa 156. The Italians get support from Michael Schumacher, Willie Weber and Ferrari. The chassis and engine will be developed by Ferrari. They have planned to bring 4 cars on the grid.
Drivers who are named: Gabriele Tarquini, Nicola Larini, Timo Scheider (drives now an Opel in DTM) and Sebastian Stahl (step brother of Michael and Ralf).

This is great news!!!

Last edited by FIRE; 25 Nov 2003 at 18:34.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 19:57 (Ref:794382)   #2
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is great news!!!
Too right! Great to see more manufacturers coming into the DTM. The presence of the Italian marke will make the series an ever more international one. One problem with this though: does this mean the end of the works Alfas in the ETCC?

FORZA ALFA!!!
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 25 Nov 2003, 21:13 (Ref:794421)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very good news! How reliable is this source ?

crozier - good point about Alfa's ETCC involvement. Maybe they see DTM as a better route to the proposed WTCC which will evolve from the ETCC ?
Old 25 Nov 2003, 23:17 (Ref:794498)   #4
HJS
Rookie

HJS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto, Motor and Sport is a very reliable source.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 01:38 (Ref:794583)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OTOH, the '05 DTM is very far away? Why bother announce their future participation now? hmmm, will Schumacher return at the end of '04 for a more "relaxing" retirment career in the DTM, like Alesi?
Old 26 Nov 2003, 03:14 (Ref:794632)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa in DTM?! this is so cool a rear driver and V8 alfa, i am stunned and so excited about this...
Old 26 Nov 2003, 06:39 (Ref:794712)   #7
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But that won't be until '05. And so much can happen between now and then? Not that I don't want to see Alfa racing in the DTM again.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 10:21 (Ref:794835)   #8
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rough translation by Babelfish, but you get the main idea:

Quote:
DTM: Alfa returns
- Schumi pushes also with the successor of the current Alfa 156 wants the Italians together by Ferrari and support of Michael Schumacher and Willi weber starting from 2005 again in the largest German route car running series to mix. For the technology - engine and chassis - Ferrari will have responsibility. One of the mainsprings behind the project is Michael Schumacher. The use from first four vehicles with the successor of the Alfa Romeo 156, which comes in two years on the market, is planned. Alfa is in the DTM an old acquaintance. From 1993 to 1996 the red racers with a all-wheel-driven Alfa 155 began. 1993 conquered Nicola Larini for Alfa the meistertitel. To various advertisement attempts of the DTM controlling body ITR in the past the initiative comes this time from Italy. Alfa Markenchef Daniele Bandiera examines at present various technique and budget concepts. It is supported by Alfa Rome EO Germany boss Marc Pasture and marketing leader Dino Damiano. As drivers the Gabriele Tarquini, Nicola Larini and Timo Scheider are in the discussion. OPEL driver Scheider could already drive 2004 with Alfa in the route car European championship or with a Ferrari in the GT championship. Michael Schumacher promotes Sebastian steel, the son of the friend of its father. Schumacher manager Willi weber wants to use its own team. Driver roundabout in full course meanwhile is the DTM Fahrerkarussell for 2004 in full course. With abbott AUDI abbott, Mattias Ekstroem and Martin Tomczyk Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen is added again beside Christian's. Emanuele Pirro and franc Biela change together with their Joest team of the American Le Mans series into the DTM. With OPELS ex AUDI pilot is Laurent Aiello in the discussion.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 11:23 (Ref:794905)   #9
Portello
Racer

Portello should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by crozier74
does this mean the end of the works Alfas in the ETCC?

[/B]
Definitely NO! This (rumour?) is reported in that magazine again and again. 'Wish is father of thought' , as we say here
Old 26 Nov 2003, 11:27 (Ref:794908)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
crozier - good point about Alfa's ETCC involvement. Maybe they see DTM as a better route to the proposed WTCC which will evolve from the ETCC ?
It would depend i suppose on what market they are after. AT the end of the day the DTM is fundamentally a national series. Also worth remembering that Alfa ran dual DTM and Super Touring factory programs in the mid-90s.

Great news though, will be interesting to see how they fare in 2005.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 12:04 (Ref:794952)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems as if they'll be bringign some of their top drivers over to the DTM project, whcih will clearly impact on ETCC, even if they do continue. They didn't fare so well against BMW this year, and would probably consider pulling out if 2004 goes badly.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 13:14 (Ref:795017)   #12
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Very good news! How reliable is this source ?

I wouldn't imagine DTM being a route to any proposed WTCC- I'd guess that to be successful a WTCC is going to need to be based on widely used regulations, like the current ETCC ones
Old 26 Nov 2003, 14:04 (Ref:795058)   #13
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Alfa joins DTM

Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
From German magazine Auto Motor und Sport:

Short translation:
In 2005 Alfa Romeo will join DTM again with the successor of the Alfa 156. The Italians get support from Michael Schumacher, Willie Weber and Ferrari. The chassis and engine will be developed by Ferrari. They have planned to bring 4 cars on the grid.
Drivers who are named: Gabriele Tarquini, Nicola Larini, Timo Scheider (drives now an Opel in DTM) and Sebastian Stahl (step brother of Michael and Ralf).

This is great news!!!

My view: Forget it! AMS has written some untrue gossip...
Old 26 Nov 2003, 15:06 (Ref:795104)   #14
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I second that.

I mean, Alfa rushing to sign Timo Scheider for 05?!!!
Old 26 Nov 2003, 15:14 (Ref:795113)   #15
DiscoGoober
Racer

DiscoGoober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news.

As far as Alfa staying in the ETCC, I suppose they would. Otherwise, why would they be testing so many drivers for the series next year? JMO, though.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 15:15 (Ref:795114)   #16
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AMS has written some stuff in their past that's just silly, but they have had some good stuff as well...
Old 26 Nov 2003, 15:47 (Ref:795148)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I presume that any Alfa assault on the DTM would be primarily to boost sales of Alfas in the countries in which the DTM runs. I'd love to see a Ferrari-designed 156 successor with rear drive and a (Ferrari?) V8 plonked in the engine bay - indeed, I've said so many times before - but I'm holding off on this one until we have a little more to go on.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 17:54 (Ref:795283)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Maybe this Alfa DTM project is a birthday present from Michael for his step brother?
Old 26 Nov 2003, 19:45 (Ref:795384)   #19
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news

It'll be interesting to see how competitive Alfa are when they return.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 07:04 (Ref:795786)   #20
Portello
Racer

Portello should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by HJS
Auto, Motor and Sport is a very reliable source. [/B]
Sorry, not in this case ! They've reported Maserati to be in DTM 2003, what happened ?...
Alfa/Autodelta (N.Technology's touring car department) will stay in ETCC (from 2005 with a new car, but there is no final decision) and in FIA-GT, possibly with the new 8c competizione in future. DTM ? No subject in Italy.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 15:16 (Ref:796147)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
They didn't fare so well against BMW this year, and would probably consider pulling out if 2004 goes badly.
Didn't fare so well? Tarquini won the championship.
Old 29 Nov 2003, 21:56 (Ref:798453)   #22
johanv
Rookie

johanv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont know there i heard it, but I think that I have heard that autodelta/nordauto is involved with the etcc organization in some way...
Old 29 Nov 2003, 22:50 (Ref:798481)   #23
HJS
Rookie

HJS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Portello
Sorry, not in this case ! They've reported Maserati to be in DTM 2003, what happened ?...
Alfa/Autodelta (N.Technology's touring car department) will stay in ETCC (from 2005 with a new car, but there is no final decision) and in FIA-GT, possibly with the new 8c competizione in future. DTM ? No subject in Italy.
What makes you think/say that?
Old 30 Nov 2003, 00:58 (Ref:798563)   #24
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Claudio Berro just said that DTM was interesting for Maserati....
Old 30 Nov 2003, 10:24 (Ref:799049)   #25
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SFonseca
Claudio Berro just said that DTM was interesting for Maserati....
But a statement like this could also be understood like this: The DTM is interesting for the Tropheo Maserati