Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Dec 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2352333)   #1
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst short track

Does anyone know anything about the Bathurst short track? I have heard stories over the years that it will be then it wont be. The last thing I heard it was linked to the stalled hotel complex at Caltex Chase.

It would be good, about the same distance from Sydney as Wakefield and another venue when Oran Park shuts down.

Jeff

Old 11 Dec 2008, 07:06 (Ref:2352335)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
imagine what you could do with $93 million at bathurst

Sorry heard nothing, but it would be a good addition
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2352515)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jeff, are you pushing a barrow here?

In this thread you ask if anyone knows anything about it, in another thread you described it as "much talked about".

I believe that i am as much involved in the sport as any amateur can be and this forum is the only place i've ever heard it mentioned.

I've already gone on record suggesting it is one of the dumbest ideas i've ever heard. Imagine entering a meeting and towing a car all the way to Bathurst, only to run around pit straight and the paddock.

Bathurst without that exhilerating ride across the top of the mountain is like eating a cone with no ice cream, going to a music festival and leaving before the headline act, buying a famous race car and sealing it in an air tight vault, dating a girl who wears a chastity belt, seriously why would you bother???
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2352519)   #4
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a map floating around in one of the mags at one stage, but that was a few years ago now. The idea at the time I believe was to lure the ALMS cars to run on the "Short Track" as thought had it their clearance woulldn't allow them to run over the top. I think it was never really more than an idea...
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2352549)   #5
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
[quote=DAVID PATERSON]Jeff, are you pushing a barrow here?

In this thread you ask if anyone knows anything about it, in another thread you described it as "much talked about".
[quote]

I don't know what you mean by pushing a barrow, but I will try to explain why I post this.

For many years I have heard about this short track, mainly in motorcycle racing circles. There is even a map of the proposed circuit in one of Jim Scaysbrook's books on Australian motorcycle racing.

One reason being that it would be unlikely to have the mountain licenced for bikes in this day and age.

I thought someone on this forum might know more about it. As a bike racer I started too late to race at the mountain, although I spectated there many times, mostly at bike meetings and as much as I would like to race on the current circuit I see it as unlikely.

Jeff
Old 11 Dec 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2352582)   #6
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff 8
Does anyone know anything about the Bathurst short track? I have heard stories over the years that it will be then it wont be. The last thing I heard it was linked to the stalled hotel complex at Caltex Chase.

It would be good, about the same distance from Sydney as Wakefield and another venue when Oran Park shuts down.

Jeff

Our local paper had a front page story this week on the short track.Go to [URL="www.westernadvocate.com.au"] and click on BIKE RACES BID ON TRACK it has a map and the cost is only 20 mill.A far better investment than Homebush
Old 11 Dec 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2352597)   #7
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 11 Dec 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2352644)   #8
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is a different track to the last map I saw.

This looks to be being driven by the bikes and if it was suitable for cars it would be a bonus.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2353064)   #9
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets stop this nonsense of renovating tracks and build something NEW!

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 23:29 (Ref:2353103)   #10
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Lets stop this nonsense of renovating tracks and build something NEW!
Where???
Old 11 Dec 2008, 23:54 (Ref:2353119)   #11
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why? is more the point, I think track variations are a great idea, especially if the land is available to do the work. The map above looks seriously interesting, uses the existing pit facilities, and really only lacks a high speed straight. It doesnt affect the original layout, and could probably allow access to houses etc at the top of the hill while an event is being run at the bottom. If done well, an idea like this could be a good money spinner re track hire etc, which in turn could be used to upgrade facilities further and therefore lessen reliance on government hand outs.
Building new tracks is a pipe dream in this economic climate in my view, and Id like to bet that many people here may agree. But I promise, if I win a lotto mega draw to the tune of 30 to 40 million, I'll build you boys and girls a new race track hehe.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 00:33 (Ref:2353142)   #12
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only one (well a BIG one) stumbling block in its way - it would require the change to an Act of Parliament and, failing that would only allow it to be run once a year (provided either the 12 hour or 1000km race was scrapped). Would anyone seriously invest under these conditions?
Old 12 Dec 2008, 01:03 (Ref:2353149)   #13
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
Only one (well a BIG one) stumbling block in its way - it would require the change to an Act of Parliament and, failing that would only allow it to be run once a year (provided either the 12 hour or 1000km race was scrapped). Would anyone seriously invest under these conditions?
They are allowed 5 full track closures a year now. We have the 1000,12hr,FOSC easter and Drive Bathurst(now).
Using the short circuit may not even come under the "full" track closure rules anyway.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 12 Dec 2008, 01:34 (Ref:2353155)   #14
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
They are allowed 5 full track closures a year now. We have the 1000,12hr,FOSC easter and Drive Bathurst(now).
Using the short circuit may not even come under the "full" track closure rules anyway.
Speaking of DriveBathurst, are spectators allowed over the weekend?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 12 Dec 2008, 02:00 (Ref:2353164)   #15
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i like the look of that wouldn't mind seeing it happen.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 03:06 (Ref:2353183)   #16
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I totally agree with David-take away the top of the mountain and you might as well go to Wakefield Park.Also the chief advantage of a short circuit is that spectators can see most of the track.All the buildings in the paddock at Bathurst would mean the viewing wouldn't be much better than a street circuit.I think any 5 minute cost/benefit analysis of this proposal would have been enough to put it in the bin.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 03:16 (Ref:2353185)   #17
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the talk was the proposed short track was going to involve the car park at the bottom of the circuit?
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 12 Dec 2008, 04:26 (Ref:2353203)   #18
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
This track shouldn't block access to the properties up the mountain, so being only a partial road closure should be classed like the hillclimbs, street luge or similar events held there now or recently.

Jeff
Old 12 Dec 2008, 06:00 (Ref:2353216)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=Jeff 8][quote=DAVID PATERSON]
Quote:

I don't know what you mean by pushing a barrow, but I will try to explain why I post this.

For many years I have heard about this short track, mainly in motorcycle racing circles. There is even a map of the proposed circuit in one of Jim Scaysbrook's books on Australian motorcycle racing.

One reason being that it would be unlikely to have the mountain licenced for bikes in this day and age.

I thought someone on this forum might know more about it. As a bike racer I started too late to race at the mountain, although I spectated there many times, mostly at bike meetings and as much as I would like to race on the current circuit I see it as unlikely.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, i didn't think about bikes. From your perspective i guess it might make sense, but as a car guy i stand by my original opinion and it's not in any scuttlebutt i've heard.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 06:24 (Ref:2353219)   #20
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Badgerys

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseIII
Where???
Badgerys Creek where people thought they were getting those noisy aeroplanes or Wilton
Old 12 Dec 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2353255)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
Jeff, are you pushing a barrow here?

I believe that i am as much involved in the sport as any amateur can be and this forum is the only place i've ever heard it mentioned.

I've already gone on record suggesting it is one of the dumbest ideas i've ever heard. Imagine entering a meeting and towing a car all the way to Bathurst, only to run around pit straight and the paddock.

Bathurst without that exhilerating ride across the top of the mountain is like eating a cone with no ice cream, going to a music festival and leaving before the headline act, buying a famous race car and sealing it in an air tight vault, dating a girl who wears a chastity belt, seriously why would you bother???

I think you owe some one an apology David. it appears there has been short track talk about bathurst this week in the media.

I guess Just because someone drives a race car, doesnt mean they know anything, where as just because someone doesnt drive a race car doesnt mean there opinion or questions should be ignored.

I did some research and no track has a top of the mountain like bathurst, so that is no reason to exclude racing a short track, Its just a couple of hours from western sydney has a fantastic pit complex and museum, lots of accomodation, you can can catch public transport. seems perfect to build a new track.

As for acts of parliament, well all it takes is an act of parliament to fix it, its not really thta difficult
Old 12 Dec 2008, 11:27 (Ref:2353390)   #22
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar

I did some research ..... you can can catch public transport.
Do some more research. Just because Bathurst has a railway station doesn't mean it has good public transport.
http://www.visitbathurst.com.au/inde...know/transport
Old 12 Dec 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2353393)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
but I never said good, just that it had public transport
Old 12 Dec 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2353630)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any Bathurst 'short' track will be viewed in the same way as the modern Nurburgring or the Bugatti circuit at Le Mans...
Old 12 Dec 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2353817)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
while you are correct racer, that does not mean people wont use them, especially if it opens up year round racing