Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 May 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2468156)   #1
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brad Jones' Falcons

With BJR into the second year running WP spec Commodores, what has become of the fleet of Falcons in the BJR shed?

As mentioned in another thread, one went to Dean Neville (and is now for sale) but there were at least 3 other chassis lying around.

Anyone know where they are?
Old 24 May 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2468180)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
There is at least 1 possibly 2 at the Wodonga Motorsport tafe course thingy, they use them to practice pulling apart and put back together.

I know there is definately 1 there but they could have 2
Old 25 May 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2468697)   #3
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
This might be the chassis written of at Bathurst a few years ago ( with John Cleland at the wheel). But there are at least 2 others floating around...

I had in mind that BJR built 4 or maybe even 5 BA/BF chassis. One is in the hands of Dean Neville, one is written off so there at least 2 others.
Old 25 May 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2468738)   #4
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BJR built 4 BAs, 2 at the beginning of 03, Brad Jones using one of these in 04 with John Bowe having a new car. He used this until the end of 06, after which Andy Jones raced it. The final chassis was debuted at the 05 Sandown 500 and went on to become Brad's car and after he retired, Simon Wills. This was the car destroyed at Bathurst in 07.

I was under the impression that the car John Cleland rolled at Bathurst in 04 was repaired and was the car that Brad managed to roll twice in 05.
Old 26 May 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2469307)   #5
dirttrack
Racer

dirttrack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were 4 BA / BF Falcons with the one John Cleland and then Brad rolled twice sold to Dean Neville. The newest one was the one badly damaged at Bathurst now repaired. Leaving BJR with three Falcons. Wouldn't be a bad buy as they have proven to be quiet quick in the development series in the hands of Owen Kelly and Dale Brede.
Old 26 May 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2469371)   #6
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttrack View Post
Wouldn't be a bad buy as they have proven to be quiet quick...
Not to mention the speed shown by BJR chassis (#?) when used by Britek (albeit, with Britek engine/drive-train/running gear)
Old 6 Feb 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2628082)   #7
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
BJR Falcons

AA, the other week, reprted that the Russell family had purchsed the last of the BJR Falon inventory....two chassis and all the spares. They intend to run Drew and Aaren in two of the cars, with a third for a spare/possible lease.

With 3 BJR Falcons at the Russells, and one with Dean Neville, would anyone care to speculate as to which chassis went where?

And were there only 4 BJR BA/BF chassis (BJR#3 to #6) built? Even Noonz seems unsure, having to correct the chassis details in the Great Race book a few years ago, which referred to chassis#7.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2628094)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where is teh one Mr White snotted against the wall at Bathurst? Did the team repair it or did it get scrapped?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Feb 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2628143)   #9
B!tchie Renault
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
B!tchie Renault should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am of the understanding that BJR built 4 x BA/BFs.

BJR003 I think was used by Bright while his ex. FPR chassis (BM001) was being repaired. It was then sold to Dean Neville.

Yes there is confusion about a reference to a BJR007, but when one of the cars was badly damaged with Damian White driving, their was reference to A spare car which was revamped from Shopping Centre duty back to the race track. I have asked Noonz recently about the BJR chassis again, and awaiting his reply.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 23:32 (Ref:2628188)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does that include...

Old 7 Feb 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2628214)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That one looks quite show-caresque..
Old 7 Feb 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2628235)   #12
scuderus
Racer

scuderus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
standard fuel filler door gives it away...
Old 7 Feb 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2628283)   #13
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
as do tinted windows and 5 stud wheels
Old 7 Feb 2010, 04:48 (Ref:2628362)   #14
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What ever happened to Andrew?
Old 7 Feb 2010, 08:10 (Ref:2628396)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
There is also a BJR Falcon in NZ isnt there?
Old 7 Feb 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2628404)   #16
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Believe the AU Andrew Jones won the development series with in 2004 is in NZ. Understand there were 4 BA/BFs, 1 now owned by Dean Neville, the other 3 by the Russell family.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 10:47 (Ref:2628448)   #17
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime View Post
What ever happened to Andrew?
Still with BJR, just more of a management role, and he also co-hosts the trackside commentary as the expert commentator with Chris Jewell, and also Jewell and Jones do some shows for Big Pong's web coverage. Andy's pretty good actually worked with him at QR last year training him to use the "Statscreen 3000".
Old 7 Feb 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2628472)   #18
Noonz1
Rookie

Noonz1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*****ie ... yeah the BJR Falcon thing is one I have got on my list .. will have a sit down with the Russells and see what we can figure out with chassis numbers and the like when I get a chance
Old 7 Feb 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2628483)   #19
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Still with BJR, just more of a management role, and he also co-hosts the trackside commentary as the expert commentator with Chris Jewell, and also Jewell and Jones do some shows for Big Pong's web coverage. Andy's pretty good actually worked with him at QR last year training him to use the "Statscreen 3000".
Good to hear
Old 7 Feb 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2628509)   #20
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
I'm surprised that Andy's isn't a test and car development driver aswell.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2628511)   #21
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'm surprised that Andy's isn't a test and car development driver aswell.
As long as he's a potential enduro candidate - and with Brad retiring and three cars to staff he almost certainly is, he'll get some miles, but with test dates so few and with Bright and Jas Richards on board, and in Reindler a guy who will need every mile he can get, he testing opportunities might not be as many as might be hoped for. But still he might be able to hop into cars while drivers take potty breaks.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2630285)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
From what I have managed to gather so far, BJR built 4 BA Falcons all built as BA's initially, with some later converted to BF.

The first two BA's were built side by side for the 2003 season as BJR04 and BJR05. BJR04 appears to have used a prototype shell, as it was not the same in dimensions as the sister BJR05, or the later chassis, needing different front suspension settings and parts than the others

The Beehag shell to construct BJR06 was delivered to BJR mid 03 and built up and finished in Jan/Feb 04. BJR07 was built new for Sandown 06.

It also seems that BJR 04 was the first BA supercar to test not counting the BA 'T car'.

BJR04 was raced by John Bowe for the 03 season.
BJR05 was raced by Brad Jones for the 03 season.

BJR06 was raced by John Bowe for the 04 season, this chassis finishing third at Bathurst.

Season 04 was a tough one for BJR05 being involved in the big pile up at Adelaide, then getting tipped on its lid at Bathurst with Mr Cleland driving.

Mr Jones stepped back into BJR04 for the balance of the season

BJR06 once again did duties for MrBowe taking a race win at the Grand Prix.

BJR05 was repaired, then rested for the rest of the 04 season resuming its race duties at the beginning of the 05 season in the hands of Mr Jones. Mr Jones put this car upside down at both Pukekohe and Barbagello. but did finish 2nd at the AGP to Mr Bowe in one heat.

BJR05 is also the chassis which ended up with Dean Neville and won the wet Fujitsu series race at Oran Park, with Owen Kelly starting from pit lane. This car was sitting for sale on my105 until recently.

BJR07 was built new for Sandown 06 and became Mr Jones' car after the enduros.

Christian Murchison crashed the BJR07 chassis in testing and Damian White crashed heavily at Bathurst during qualifying 07. This car was sent back to Beehag for extensive repairs and is yet to see a racetrack again.

BJR04 was used to finish the 07 season for Mr Jones.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 23:53 (Ref:2630289)   #23
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
BJR06 debuted at the Sandown 500 in 2005. I am guessing BJR05 was the car leased to Britek for a few rounds in 07 before being sold to Dean Neville. Hopefully Noonz will be able to clarify when he chats to the Russells.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2630528)   #24
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
The chronology above looks pretty right, except I think the chassis numbers aren't right.

The first BA was chassis #3, not 4. This followed the two chassis #1 and #2, which were the AUs built in house by BJR. The first BJR AU was the ex Longhurst car, which retained its TLR chassis designation.

This means the chassis were numbered #3 to #6. This is consistent with Noonz's analysis in the great Race Books of 2003 and 2004. The car tipped on its lid with Cleland at the wheel in 2004 would be #5 (built in 2004), meaning #3 was pressed back into service for the rest of that year. I think #4 is the Neville car.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2630531)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
What do the stamps in the rollcages say?