Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Feb 2010, 08:40 (Ref:2629722)   #1
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercars ME Onboard footage from Yas Marina [HD]

As all V8 supercar fans will know the Aussie V8s will be at Yas Marina in 2 weeks time.

As a taster here is some HD onboard footage from one of the V8 Supercar ME drivers Raed Raffii from this last weekend races there.

The ME V8s will be there in 2 weeks time also supporting the Aussies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfiDboTXZiQ

If you've never seen the Yas Marina circuit from onboard you should definitely watch this video, the circuit is fabulous.

There is also a compilation from the very first race at the Yas Marina circuit which again was the V8 Supercars ME. The video includes onboards from various drivers and external footage, all to the sounds of Areosmith who played live after the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBhZYtNZC8

If you enjoy these videos please Rank (5* would be nice ) and favorite to raise their exposure on Youtube.

Also, lots of other onboards from the V8s on my channel http://www.youtube.com/maxxuk

Maxx
Old 9 Feb 2010, 09:32 (Ref:2629745)   #2
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the links. 5 starred both of them

Love how you recovered from the spin, reminds me of me!
Old 9 Feb 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2630201)   #3
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed 2 different models in the races. We refer to the most recent one as the E series HSV, and the older one the VZ HSV.

In road going spec these cars are significantly different with the E series being a overall superior car.

How does the series control parity? Are they just body kits over identical chassis? or are they genuinely different cars.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2630248)   #4
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe! View Post
I noticed 2 different models in the races. We refer to the most recent one as the E series HSV, and the older one the VZ HSV.

In road going spec these cars are significantly different with the E series being a overall superior car.

How does the series control parity? Are they just body kits over identical chassis? or are they genuinely different cars.
Going by how quickly all the E's put the Z's out of sight, they'd be standard specs motor wise. Probably a similar thing to how the Production class was run, with different levels within the same race.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2630259)   #5
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Nafe,

I am no expert but these cars are referred to as SC06 (2006 model) and SC09 (2009) model. They run in 2 distinct classes the SC06 being around 6 secs slower around the (roughly) 2m35s lap of Yas Marina.

The SC09s are a bit more sophisticated with better aero, stiffer suspension and sequential shifters (which are the main problem that scuppered my guy, think they had to fix 9 gearboxes all weekend).

They both run slicks but neither have adjustable suspension (in terms of camber) so there is no camber in the cars. The SC06 use 1/3 of the tyre in the corners at best and the SC09s not much more, or maybe even less.

This coupled with very little feel (SC06 being worse) are why you see so many lockups and them running wide.

BTW, The SC06 cars shown are the same as we run at Rockingham for the V8 Supercar Experience, a few guys off here have done it.

Stealthy, thanks for the stars

Maxx
Old 9 Feb 2010, 22:43 (Ref:2630263)   #6
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Stealthy,

Yes, other than some intake and exhaust mods the SC06s are pretty standard. The SC09s have had more work with some nifty induction work and side exit exhaust, blows your bl**dy sock off when your standing next to one and it starts up !

Maxx
Old 9 Feb 2010, 23:28 (Ref:2630281)   #7
wechy
Rookie

New Zealand
WAIUKU
wechy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe! View Post

I read somewhere that the VE`s had BRUTE UTE running gear with a ME body built from a CR8 E series,The VZ`s are Clubsport race speck built in oz by HSV.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2630295)   #8
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MaxxUK, I find it interesting that you're using the term 'V8 Supercar' in all your Youtube headings and repeatedly in this thread.

Considering the horrendous look of the cars and the woeful driving standards seen in those videos, I'd be surprised if V8 Supercar Australia don't have something to say about having their brand directly planted on this.

I guess that's why the official website refers to them as 'Chevrolet Supercars', not 'V8 Supercars'.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 00:08 (Ref:2630296)   #9
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
V8 Supercars dont own the rights to the word Supercar. I'm pretty sure half of Europe would have had first dibs on that (real supercars).

Either way, there V8s, and there bloody super, and their cars

I just realised it wasn't actually you driving MaxxUK, so on my earlier comment, Love how you(r driver) recovered from the spin
How many races are they having as support category. And also, is there anyway to watch them, can Guarantee TC wont show it because he wouldn't want any similar cars showing him up....
Old 10 Feb 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2630859)   #10
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Holly,

My apologies, force of habit as these were called "V8 Supercar ME (Middle-East)" last season but the name has changed this season. I suspect because it might be mis-interpreted.

I do try and go to great pains to make sure I advise that these are most definitely not anywhere near the spec and performance of the Aussie V8s. Cost wise they are probably around 10% the cost.

Part of the cost cutting is on the suspension side as has been discussed above. These cars have 0 camber, 0 toe and are overly soft with no damper tweaks. The drivers ar enot allowed to modify the setup in anyway as it's aimed at a strict spec series with driver skill being the difference.

No camber means that no more than 1/3 of the tyre rubber is being used at maximum lateral loads and these falls off very quickly, hence to oft to be seen sideways moments.

I upload loads of onboards from lots of different series that I either race or coach in but thought this worth posting here so Aussie V8 fans can get an onboard site of the circuit before the big races next week.

Maxx
Old 10 Feb 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2630866)   #11
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post

I just realised it wasn't actually you driving MaxxUK, so on my earlier comment, Love how you(r driver) recovered from the spin
How many races are they having as support category. And also, is there anyway to watch them, can Guarantee TC wont show it because he wouldn't want any similar cars showing him up....
Stealthy,

Yes, not me at the wheel, almost, as I was offered a drive but i'm full time looking after my drivers.

As far as I know there will be Radicals and UAE GTs supporting the Aussie V8s and the ME V8s.

The ME V8s are currently being shown on MotorsTV in UK and Europe, as you say though prob not in Australia although I think it would only serve to show you guys what an awesone series you have.

Keep an eye on my channel, there may be some more external and certainly lots of onboard footage to come.

Maxx
Old 10 Feb 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2630876)   #12
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood View Post

Considering the horrendous look of the cars and the woeful driving standards seen in those videos
I think thats a bit unfair, yes, they are not pro drivers, nor are they pro cars. They cost less than a tenth the cost of an Aussie V8 and I in no way meant to compare the two as I hope i've made clear.

I'm not going to go into all the hurdles these guys have to deal with but check out the amount of sand on the circuit here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkC5iWuW9e8

It's there sometimes and not others, so fine you cant see it normally.

In this race was an ex European Radical Champion, an ex (succesull) WRC driver, a succesful British F3 driver and many guys had podium finishes in top European and Asian races.

Just feel the need to speak up a bit for these guys all of whom are now getting to grips with these cars.

Maxx
Old 10 Feb 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2630961)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They look a handful, certainly. Sound good, though.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2631258)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
please can we get some of that 3 cameras in one shot in V8Supercars
Old 11 Feb 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2631282)   #15
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
please can we get some of that 3 cameras in one shot in V8Supercars
They don't have the technology to do that, they struggle with 2. Only low budget racing series' can have that
Old 11 Feb 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2631285)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am wondering if its edited post race, but apart from that we are in agreeance
Old 11 Feb 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2631324)   #17
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I am wondering if its edited post race, but apart from that we are in agreeance
Our first 2 rounds will be post race, so no excuses then?
Old 12 Feb 2010, 10:21 (Ref:2632038)   #18
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
The system I use and the drivers have is the vide4 from Race-Technology. As the name suggests it takes 4 (bullet) cams, 1 main cam and 3 x PIPS (picture-in-picture).

Some of my videos (maxxuk) on Youtube also have telemetry overaly which is all done in real-time and we have broadcast this to both pit garages and streamed to internet in the past.

I use the 4 cams for coaching and I like to see the drivers feet and head, eye and wheel movements.

Some recent interesting videos here :

Side-by-Side Onboards of the 2 leading/battling drivers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSbtTcJw1I

One of the above drivers (Raed) inset over HD (real) external footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn1TWon5DSk

One of the above drivers (Abdul-Aziz) inset over HD (real) external footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fe7XjaFNQ0

The circuit is the Zain Reem circuit in Saudi Arabia.

Heres just one of many with Telemetry overlay. Not great quality these as I just did a basic upload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnFOrbhzCtA

Malcolm
Old 12 Feb 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2632059)   #19
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And there folks is the perfect highlight of what is wrong with tarmac runoff. There is no penalty at all for getting it wrong. In fact these guys look like they treat it as part of the track.

Be that as it may can you show this to V8 stupor coverage bosses while they are over there.
We might actually start getting some decent coverage.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 11:15 (Ref:2632065)   #20
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
I think from memory it was the Aussie's Onboard coverage that was ground breaking at the time with onboard, on-car, movable, buried on tarmac type cams in the Bathurst race which I used to watch every year.

I must confess to not watching much recent coverage so not really sure of the current state of the coverage.

Malcolm
Old 12 Feb 2010, 11:19 (Ref:2632066)   #21
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Someone posted the external Dubai Sports Coverage on Vimeo

Malcolm
Old 12 Feb 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2632417)   #22
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
They don't have the technology to do that, they struggle with 2. Only low budget racing series' can have that
The three view is pretty good isn't it? The Supercar guys often have six cameras in each car but choose to only show footage from one or two at any given time - maybe they don't like the look of too many screens or something? Then again, there are the position headers etc to allow for I guess.

Liked this though - good to watch.
Old 13 Feb 2010, 02:37 (Ref:2632532)   #23
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The three view is pretty good isn't it? The Supercar guys often have six cameras in each car but choose to only show footage from one or two at any given time - maybe they don't like the look of too many screens or something? Then again, there are the position headers etc to allow for I guess.

Liked this though - good to watch.
They'll always do what they think looks good. Remembering someone actually got paid to make the fuso start grid......
Old 13 Feb 2010, 08:13 (Ref:2632574)   #24
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They'll always do what they think looks good. Remembering someone actually got paid to make the fuso start grid......

.....and update/maintain it ????

Old 13 Feb 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2632612)   #25
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
.....and update/maintain it ????

As wrong as it is, i'm sure someone is still in a job because of it.
Even an ingame view of Forza is more realistic.