Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Feb 2010, 04:26 (Ref:2630382)   #1
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
DJR gets Ford money??

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/djr-ge...6/default.aspx
Old 10 Feb 2010, 04:27 (Ref:2630383)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isnt the Triple F car a Falcon?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Feb 2010, 05:16 (Ref:2630389)   #3
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedcafe
The DJR cars competed last year without any financial support from Ford – the first time the blue oval did not back Johnson’s race team in nearly 35 years of racing.
This is very interesting and I would love to know if it's actually true.

This is claiming that money (not parts, etc) actually flowed between the factory itself (not Motorcraft, etc) and DJR through XCs, XDs, XEs, Mustangs, Sierras, EBs, EFs and so forth, right up until last year. I find that staggering.
"There is no need to do massively expensive windtunnel testing, or all the other things that they do to get the extra second or two." - Richard Branson, on the eve of the 2010 season. Good luck Timo, you'll need it.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 05:36 (Ref:2630401)   #4
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Isnt the Triple F car a Falcon?
Implying the media is accurate......

Great news for DJR. Now to dump JC, and hire a driver that DOESN'T bin it regularly.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 05:45 (Ref:2630405)   #5
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 10 Feb 2010, 06:35 (Ref:2630412)   #6
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood View Post

This is claiming that money (not parts, etc) actually flowed between the factory itself (not Motorcraft, etc) and DJR through XCs, XDs, XEs, Mustangs, Sierras, EBs, EFs and so forth, right up until last year. I find that staggering.
Wasn't until the early 90s that Ford signage appeared on the DJR Sierras, with it being written that Johnson was persona non grata at Ford during the early years of Group A.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 08:53 (Ref:2630450)   #7
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember DJR personnel and drivers always referred to the cars as "the Shell Sierra....." and never "Ford Sierra". I always assumed from this that Ford was not supporting them while they ran the car.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2630469)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dick Loves Ford, Ford Loves Dick

I wonder if Ford realise Mr Johnson doesnt actually operate the team on a day to day basis
Old 10 Feb 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2630473)   #9
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
What a quote!
Old 10 Feb 2010, 09:34 (Ref:2630475)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Implying the media is accurate......

Great news for DJR. Now to dump JC, and hire a driver that DOESN'T bin it regularly.
lets try again but this time give a real answer

who? and it has to be someone who can run at the front all the time, who is good enough to get on the new v8 commercial and who can promote the sponsor well

because that what DJR want from there driver
Old 10 Feb 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2630485)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Dick Loves Ford, Ford Loves Dick

I wonder if Ford realise Mr Johnson doesnt actually operate the team on a day to day basis
I think maybe you shoudl re-word that to I wonder if AAP realise Mr Johnson doesnt actually operate the team on a day to day basis

according to this article Paul gover it was charlie that ford have been dealing with
Quote:
But Johnson's partner in his race team, Melbourne businessman Charlie Schwerkolt, had crunch meetings with Ford at Broadmeadows last week about renewed support for the Jim Beam-sponsored outfit.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2630488)   #12
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
lets try again but this time give a real answer

who? and it has to be someone who can run at the front all the time, who is good enough to get on the new v8 commercial and who can promote the sponsor well

because that what DJR want from there driver
PM me if you really care, this thread is already off topic enough.....
Old 10 Feb 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2630502)   #13
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Why?

Dick Johnson's switch to the Ford product was facilitated by arguably the most-motorsport-active Ford dealer in the country at that time, Bryan Byrt, who was central to the Moffat Ford Dealers arrangement in addition to his own team.

Post-Rock, Ford provided a fresh bodyshell to DJ, a black XD ESP road car, and of course matched the public telethon dollar-for-dollar... and then starting surrepticiously kicking the tin via Doug Jacobi and the Motorcraft signage seen on the car from 1981 onward. And regardless of your (not Motorcraft etc) exception above, the Motorcraft money was coming straight out of the Ford chequebook.

If one looked more closely at pictures of the Greens-Tuf XE at Bathurst in 1984, the Blue Oval was prominent on her flanks, and while Dick had requested permission (from Peter Gillitzer, through Doug Jacobi, who had close links to the small DJR team at the time) to do so, they wouldn't have gone on the car without Ford's existing financial support.

The Sierras carried Ford badging at the rear for some time (1988?), and the E-Series Falcons had very prominent Ford branding, notably in 1993, and 1994. Mind you, following the '94 Bathurst win, DJR levered a bit more out of the Ford kitty via rumours that the team were considering a switch to Holden following the announcement of a bit of Ford money for Longhurst for 1995.

From that point, until 2008, it was taken as a given that Ford were contributing something to the DJR cause, even when there seemed like there was no prospect of forthcoming results, and no real resolve to turn the losing streak around in the post-Bowe, post-DJ driver line-up days.

So yeah, it's pretty much true, and it's no secret either.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2630507)   #14
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Hey, I don't know if it's true or not, I just said I'd be very surprised if it is.

90% of what you've just written covers dealer sponsorship, panel and parts support, and Motorcraft (who had a separate marketing budget to Ford). None of that is money from Ford's bank account to DJs, which is the only thing that was lacking in 2009. That's what the fuss has been about, marketing dollars.

Regarding all your Ford sticker spotting, as you well know signage does not mean dollars, from any sponsor let alone a car manufacturer. And that goes for all eras of Ford motorsport involvement.
"There is no need to do massively expensive windtunnel testing, or all the other things that they do to get the extra second or two." - Richard Branson, on the eve of the 2010 season. Good luck Timo, you'll need it.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2630513)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If you dont build your own car, should the car maker really fund your program?
Old 10 Feb 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2630523)   #16
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Lets Face It DJR out performed the Factory FPR team last year, so the deserve the funding they worked hard to climb back p towards the front. Plain and simple
Old 10 Feb 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2630526)   #17
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you dont build your own car, should the car maker really fund your program?
Whether you build them or buy them, they still cost money.

Great news for DJR, and well deserved!
Old 10 Feb 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2630564)   #18
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Hey, I don't know if it's true or not, I just said I'd be very surprised if it is.

90% of what you've just written covers dealer sponsorship, panel and parts support, and Motorcraft (who had a separate marketing budget to Ford). None of that is money from Ford's bank account to DJs, which is the only thing that was lacking in 2009. That's what the fuss has been about, marketing dollars.

Regarding all your Ford sticker spotting, as you well know signage does not mean dollars, from any sponsor let alone a car manufacturer. And that goes for all eras of Ford motorsport involvement.
However you want to slice it....
Old 10 Feb 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2630581)   #19
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Sorry, I didn't deliberately set out to make you look silly, but the differentiation between parts support and money is the whole topic of this thread!
Old 10 Feb 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2630614)   #20
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't deliberately set out to make you look silly...
I certainly don't need your help with that, I manage quite well by myself
Quote:
...but the differentiation between parts support and money is the whole topic of this thread!
Certainly, if you feel the need to conclusively differentiate, DJ might have some old bank statements laying around (Bank of Qld, naturally).

Still, what seems to be your main reason for discounting the Motorcraft dollars? In more than a few ways, it seems a bit like saying "I'm not interested in this money, because the account number it came from ends in a 4 instead of a 7".
Old 10 Feb 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2630941)   #21
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey retro - can you post a larger image next time? The last one only took 30 seconds to download (on cable even!)