Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Feb 2015, 12:54 (Ref:3503650)   #76
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

I have been browsing through some old tapes from our local radio station recently, where I report on motor sport, and I found that in 1993 I referred to the Footwoork F1 team testing a couple of promising young drivers for 1994, and I referred to "Dutch sensation Jos Verstappen, winner of the German F3 Championship".

Does that make me old?
20 years? Bloody hell, ancient!
Old 10 Feb 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3503656)   #77
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[
I look in the past and I see examples of young inexperienced drivers coming in and being quick. I also look in the past and see examples of older inexperienced drivers being quick - that doesn't happen now. So, was it easier in the past?[/QUOTE]

The major difference I think (stress 'I') is that there is very little danger attached to driving a Formula 1 car today, it took a particular type of person to willingly drive a car on circuits that when combined could, and frequently did, kill you. Whenever we have heard from current drivers driving cars from previous era's they usually comment that the safety standards were far removed from today's cars. A lot of people might be prepared to take a wire walk across a deep gorge, if there was a safety net below, however, few would try without such a device.

In other words it was not just talent that was needed back in the 50's - 60's for instance, but a certain kind of bravery.

Ask yourself; If your teenage son came home and said he was driving a 1960's Lotus Formula 1 car on rain swept circuit that ran through a forest, without seat belts and just a simple crash helmet. Would you worry about him?

Maybe Jos would not be so keen to promote his son under those circumstances.

PS; I was born in 1937 and am officially, according to Government, an OAP, but I am still waiting to get old, which I why I pose questions about how to decide that I am indeed old.

PS; No comments please Knowlsey.
Old 10 Feb 2015, 13:56 (Ref:3503669)   #78
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The major difference I think (stress 'I') is that there is very little danger attached to driving a Formula 1 car today, it took a particular type of person to willingly drive a car on circuits that when combined could, and frequently did, kill you. Whenever we have heard from current drivers driving cars from previous era's they usually comment that the safety standards were far removed from today's cars. A lot of people might be prepared to take a wire walk across a deep gorge, if there was a safety net below, however, few would try without such a device.
it's a fair point, but i'm not sure it carries much weight. the simple acid test i suppose has been the bianchi accident, and the affect it has had on a lot of the drivers. none whatsoever. perhaps if you were to say "right lads, we're turning the cars into death traps, no more squishy tyre walls and absolutely no tarmac runoff, instead we're installing crocodile pits" then those who feel they have the most to lose would walk away, but that's because of a contrast between the safe and the more perilous.

it has always fascinated me that often the young lads who have clearly been in the sport due to hefty parental influence and who aren't especially committed to the sport themselves are amongst the bravest when you watch trackside. it seems to be a complete conflict.
Old 10 Feb 2015, 14:16 (Ref:3503675)   #79
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I have been browsing through some old tapes from our local radio station recently, where I report on motor sport, and I found that in 1993 I referred to the Footwoork F1 team testing a couple of promising young drivers for 1994, and I referred to "Dutch sensation Jos Verstappen, winner of the German F3 Championship".

Does that make me old?
I still have the Autosport issue somewhere that had Jos on the cover and refered to him as "F1's hottest new boy" and talked about him going from karts to F1 in "just" 2 years

His son already broke that record
Old 13 Feb 2015, 15:01 (Ref:3504568)   #80
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Toro Rosso race engineer Xevi Pujolar, who has worked with Mark Webber, Juan Pablo Montoya and Eddie Irvine in the past has said Max is "the best he has ever seen".

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...est-i-ve-seen/
Old 13 Feb 2015, 15:36 (Ref:3504588)   #81
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Better than Eddie Irvine? Crikey.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 15:39 (Ref:3504591)   #82
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's actually the drivers that get the biggest eulogies in their pre-F1 stage that I find myself most non-plussed by. I call it the Barrichello effect. I expect Verstappen to be capable enough but I don't think he'll rewrite F1 history.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 15:53 (Ref:3504594)   #83
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Better than Montoya? I'm not having that!
Old 13 Feb 2015, 19:10 (Ref:3504640)   #84
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Better than Montoya? I'm not having that!
Come on, that's not really really all that difficult.......
Old 13 Feb 2015, 19:13 (Ref:3504642)   #85
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I'm not having it Ayse. I just ain't.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3504645)   #86
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sadly, there appears to be no choice matey.......
Old 13 Feb 2015, 19:38 (Ref:3504652)   #87
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now! Now! Lads, let's keep it peaceful, no brawling on a public forum, what would mother say?
Old 13 Feb 2015, 19:46 (Ref:3504656)   #88
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
She'd say that she never liked Montoya, was always more of a Ralf woman...
Old 13 Feb 2015, 19:47 (Ref:3504657)   #89
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't know that was possible.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 20:12 (Ref:3504674)   #90
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Have I missed a superhero?
Old 13 Feb 2015, 20:19 (Ref:3504677)   #91
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
She'd say that she never liked Montoya, was always more of a Ralf woman...

We once had a Ralf Schumacher fan on this very forum. Literally the only one in the world it seemed!

Ralf had less right to be in F1 than Verstappen.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 20:21 (Ref:3504678)   #92
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised nobody's mentioned this Jacques Villeneuve yet, or were you just getting there...
Old 13 Feb 2015, 20:54 (Ref:3504691)   #93
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Max Verstappen should NOT race in F1 for 2015

People know better.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3504702)   #94
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Surprised nobody's mentioned this Jacques Villeneuve yet, or were you just getting there...
Well Jacques does have two young sons. Maybe in a handful of years we can argue about if they should be in F1 or not!

Richard
Old 13 Feb 2015, 22:17 (Ref:3504710)   #95
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Nah, they'll be too old for F1 by then......
Old 14 Feb 2015, 07:40 (Ref:3504769)   #96
bauble
Veteran

England
I believe that the Settrington Cup is a round of the F1 World Championship this year.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 10:22 (Ref:3504803)   #97
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I'm happy to agree to differ on whether we should allow children to drive Formula One cars, however fast they are in a go kart, since it appears the FIA have sensibly introduced new rules to prevent this ever happening again.

Yet we still have well funded and clearly talented youngsters going straight form a kart to a Formula Three car.

My question is this:

What on earth is the point of Formula 4, if you can simply dodge the requirement to prove yourself against your peers because you have the funds?

It simply doesn't make sense?
Old 14 Feb 2015, 10:53 (Ref:3504815)   #98
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Well, I'm happy to agree to differ on whether we should allow children to drive Formula One cars, however fast they are in a go kart, since it appears the FIA have sensibly introduced new rules to prevent this ever happening again.

Yet we still have well funded and clearly talented youngsters going straight form a kart to a Formula Three car.

My question is this:

What on earth is the point of Formula 4, if you can simply dodge the requirement to prove yourself against your peers because you have the funds?

It simply doesn't make sense?
it's not about funds, it's about talent.

Max tested in Formula Renault 2.0 first and set lap records at tracks he had never driven before so they chose to skip that series and go straight to F3.

And since he won 10 races last season (more than anyobe else) he proved it to be the right choice.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 11:21 (Ref:3504819)   #99
F1 lobby
Rookie

Netherlands
F1 lobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
it's not about funds, it's about talent.

Max tested in Formula Renault 2.0 first and set lap records at tracks he had never driven before so they chose to skip that series and go straight to F3.

And since he won 10 races last season (more than anyobe else) he proved it to be the right choice.
The very few vinegar peeƫrs(dutch expression) like Jackass Villeneuve, and uphere Flavio Frivole as well as Mekulo just can't live with the fact that so now and than a wonder kid jumps out of the box and therefore they rather burn the rookies down to the ground instead of supporting them and hoping for the best to show..all those unreal moments which youngster Marquez gave us all you wouldn't want to see neither just because of his toooo young age??

Come on man those very few aliens on this planet bring racing to a whole other level, just be thankful that they are willing to risk their lives just to put up an awesome show for us. And in speaking dutch terms, watch this season to become one of the most exciting with another dutch pride which is actually wayyy too young to race on top level: Michael van der Mark
Old 14 Feb 2015, 11:57 (Ref:3504828)   #100
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^Very good and true point.

Everyone thinks of changing the world, nobody thinks of changing himself.

Verstappen is a world class talent, there's no doubt.

As to the point of F4, the karters who step into F3 are the elite and 16+yo, whilst the top karters who step into F4 are going to be 15 because of the FIA age limits. FR2.0 gets a lot of kart graduates and is surprisingly close to F3 in terms of pace.

And people jump steps all of the time. In recent years the FR Eurocup champ has gone into FR3.5 and been very competitive. It has worked many times in the past for many drivers. Max's jump is bigger but crucially has more coverage which means more haters know about it