Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2003, 13:45 (Ref:696551)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Mechanics sweep dirty side of track for start?

I wonder if we will see the teams for the cars starting on the dirty side of the grid sweeping the dust before the start of the green flag lap?

What are teams legally allowed to do to the track? Can they lay something on the track?

I wonder if they have hoover-type devices?
Old 23 Aug 2003, 14:16 (Ref:696583)   #2
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funnily enough, i was reading the regulations not too long ago - after the Euro GP (After the MS incident).

And although i read that a few years ago, JPM's team used a broom on the track to sweep the dirt away, as he was starting on the dirty side of the track, but i dont think its allowed.

There is a rule which says that no team can artificially clean the track or do anything to improve the grip levels of the track, except for the laying down of rubber when the car spins its wheels away.

So to your question, no they cannot.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 14:19 (Ref:696586)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think you will find it is, and always has been common practice to clean (sweep) the track. It's not dust anyway, but more the oil etc that does'nt get destroyed as the cars go over it.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 14:22 (Ref:696588)   #4
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, after just reading over the regulations again, i was wrong, here is what it says:
--------------------------------------
b) Other than tyre rubber left when cars leave their pit stop position, Competitors may not attempt
to enhance the grip of the surface in the pit lane unless a problem has been clearly identified and a solution
agreed by the FIA Safety Delegate.
--------------------------------------

So that is to do with the pit lane, and not the race track.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 14:30 (Ref:696595)   #5
Rocktracer
Racer

Rocktracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so expect to see those tyres lighting up on the warm up lap...

what races are prior to the GP? I guess a few bribes could be floating around to encourage drivers to drive on that side of the road
Old 23 Aug 2003, 14:47 (Ref:696607)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Whats the bet that JPM will get an abysmal start and get swamped by 5th and 7th place guys?

I bet JPM is glad that TGF is on the dirty side too.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 17:42 (Ref:696702)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster

I bet JPM is glad that TGF is on the dirty side too.
And Rafe!!!
Old 23 Aug 2003, 19:00 (Ref:696748)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This situation is really unfair, it's an age old problema dn one which can surely be solved somehow. Allowing teams to clean teh trakc themselves seems only fair,because the changes of position at the start are too artifical.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 20:28 (Ref:696792)   #9
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with boots. You shouldn't have a situation where the second place qualifier is getting screwed for beating out the thrid place qualifier. It defeats the purpose of qualifying.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 20:58 (Ref:696813)   #10
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WE WANT OVER TAKING IN F1, time and time again we hear it. So sweep the track before every race and let the guys have some clean tarmac to overtake on. After three days of **** from F1, F3000, Porsches and other F1 invites and you have a racing line governed by the "marbles" of 3 days of useage. Clean the track and let the guys have more overtaking space!
Old 23 Aug 2003, 21:31 (Ref:696840)   #11
Svend
Rookie

Svend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by CATMAN
After three days of **** from F1, F3000, Porsches and other F1 invites and you have a racing line governed by the "marbles" of 3 days of useage. Clean the track and let the guys have more overtaking space!
When was the last time you went to a Grand Prix?
I'd wish they had some more non F1-races during a weekend.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 21:44 (Ref:696853)   #12
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
look at it another way, the guys who get a bad start are supposed to be faster, right? If they get overtaken at the start it should mean that they have the strategy to reovertake!

Should be interesting though!
Old 23 Aug 2003, 22:01 (Ref:696875)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track owners normally send street sweepers out to try and clean the track a bit...

The Ferrari launch control has been abysmal of late - Schumi and Barrichello are going to get eaten for breakfast by the midfield - Raikkonen and Alonso are going to be the main benefactors, I think.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 20:51 (Ref:698644)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Race starting proceedure (wheelspinning)

Did anyone notice that the Williams boys didn't exactly light up their tyres much on the warm up lap? :confused:

Last edited by Sodemo; 25 Aug 2003 at 20:51.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 20:57 (Ref:698653)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Proberbly too dusty to allow for the smoke as the wheels were spinning on cr@p!
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:11 (Ref:698671)   #16
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would think they would spn them hard to clean the area and lay down some nice rubber for a launching pad.
Never forget #99
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:46 (Ref:699273)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The dirty side of the start line

This problem has plagued nearly every circuit in motor racing, but at Hungary it was particularly bad. Why is it not possible to sweep the track during the hour before the start with some street sweepers? Surely 3 street sweepers in staggered tandem could sweep not only the start line but the entire track proprly beffore the start.
When teams spend millions of dollars to put cars onto a race track for a major race, the cost of hiring a number of street sweepers is insigniicant.

Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:00 (Ref:699296)   #18
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i agree with Valve. ( i'm biased the dirty track cost Ralf a win.) Bernie and the Fia are rich enough a few extra employess will do no harm.And if the FIA dont want to make the effort the least they can do is allow the teams to sweep the area where their car is going to start!!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:04 (Ref:699306)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it possible that they don't want to accidentally clean off the rubber from the racing line, or even worse only partially clean it off?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:06 (Ref:699310)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess it's part of the show... like rain.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 13:07 (Ref:699402)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I guess it's part of the show... like rain.
Yeah but when a race is affected by rain all the cars are disadvantaged , whereas with a dirty track only half the grid is affected which is not fair.
But as Bononi says its part of the game.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 13:19 (Ref:699425)   #22
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but when it rains, it rains on everyone. I think a large hoover is in order.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 13:27 (Ref:699436)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not just dust and marbles though. The side of the start line that is one the racing line has 3 days worth of rubber built up on it - which will naturally provide a lot more adhesion than even the cleanest pavement that hasn't been run on at all. I don't think cleaning the other line would have much effect. It might have been worse at Hungary because of the pavement or that fewer cars had gone down that side of the straight.

I just see it as a reality of standing starts - nothing you can do about it.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 Aug 2003, 13:34 (Ref:699441)   #24
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion the drivers should realise that they have a 50% chance of starting on the Dirty line. Why not do a significant percentage of your laps to clean it up? IF all the drivers put in say just 10 laps each on the dirty side then that is 200 cars going down there that should help a bit.

Now where is my medication....

Last edited by 903cc; 26 Aug 2003 at 13:35.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 14:16 (Ref:699482)   #25
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know, that is a good suggestion...! Not only would it clean up the track, but you would also get some rubber laid down. Admittedly not as much as on the racing line, but still. Good thinking!