Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 May 2007, 00:40 (Ref:1904639)   #1
GtiMagic
Racer

GtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brad Jones to Retire - *CONFIRMED*

It's what i'm hearing, so..

Whats everyones reaction going to be when its announced that David Benard will make a full time return to the Championship Series at Winton replacing the outgoing Jones Snr?

It also means he will have to hand back the spare set of keys for the Jeldwen car that he had in readiness for Sandown and Bathurst?

If true why would anyone who is trying to fight their way back in to this series give up a potential sandown/bathurst win to drive a BOC car? Why o why?
Old 2 May 2007, 00:54 (Ref:1904640)   #2
bentate
Racer

bentate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If true, maybe he views three quarters of a season with an ordinary team is better than two races with a good team?

If Brighty is any guide, Bezzy might be able to get more pace out of the BOC cars and therefore shift at least one of them into a possible top ten position ( personally I think Andrew Jones is hopeless).

After all, they use SBR engines and as Bright showed, there's plenty of speed in them with the right bloke on board.

I have to say that if this is true it's the right decision. Brad really should have given it away a couple of years ago and I don't understand why he bothered to start 07' (unless there were contractual issues to comply with or Bezzy was avoiding signing on the dotted line).

Either way, it will be sad to see Jonesy go. He's 'old school' and yet another driver from the early V8 days that the series will lose.

Good luck and happy retirement Bradley...
Old 2 May 2007, 01:12 (Ref:1904645)   #3
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brad Jones has been one of the characters in Australian motorsport, have been a fan since the old Klaas Starion in the old Group E days.

Shock is just about the right description about his replacement. I know we're all a little more green aware these days, but hiring David Besnard may be taking recycling too far
Old 2 May 2007, 01:27 (Ref:1904652)   #4
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When Bezzy drove the Hydraulink car in NZ in the NZ V8 Series, he did really well .... as long as the car got to the end of the event without trailing oil/smoke/a combination of both or spent time sitting in pitlane.

I'm still not 100% certain that his driving results when he was a "Stone's Temple Pilot" were entirely his fault, and he probably does deserve another go.

It makes a lot of sense given his SBR ties and the BJR SBR ties to give him some driving miles, but you would have to question the motives and cincept a little bit - a comeback drive in a BJR car could be worse than his last fulltime gig in some respects, as it could be some time before the cars are at a point to show the driver's true ability.

However, if he is getting some race miles before he takes over the Caltex car next year, then it's a very smart move....as long as that contract is inked, otherwise as a driver, I would be more than marginally nervous about the whole situation!
Old 2 May 2007, 01:30 (Ref:1904653)   #5
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It has being on the rumour mill & cards for a while now that BJ was hanging up the helmet, but I would of thought he'd wait till season end.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 2 May 2007, 01:38 (Ref:1904658)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentate
After all, they use SBR engines and as Bright showed, there's plenty of speed in them with the right bloke on board.
Umn, when did Mr Bright drive a BF Falcon with SBR engines aboard?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 May 2007, 01:55 (Ref:1904670)   #7
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not suprise really. Wheres the fun in being a backmarker for your career (has he had a win? i havn't been around supercars long enough to remember)

Guess that sponser on the bottom of his car wont be getting any coverage, guess he'll have to give Morris a call
Old 2 May 2007, 02:03 (Ref:1904675)   #8
bentate
Racer

bentate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I meant BJR use SBR engines and Bright showed (by using a BJR chasis) that a good driver can find plenty of time in the cars. My point being that a combination of a good chasis (that Bright showed was capabale) and SBR power should allow a good driver to get plenty more out of the BJR cars.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 2 May 2007, 02:07 (Ref:1904677)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if true well done Brad on a great career, and now we can get rid of DEnyer and have Brad as pit reporter.
Old 2 May 2007, 03:32 (Ref:1904695)   #10
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Rumour was Bright attended the BJR test before NZ to get an idea of their chassis, even though the one he was getting was built in 1948.

The story goes Brad did some hot runs, brought it in, Bright climbed in and almost immediately went a full second quicker than Brad, making some quip about Jones having the floor mat stuck under the throttle as he departed the car....
Old 2 May 2007, 04:06 (Ref:1904704)   #11
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr fan
if true well done Brad on a great career, and now we can get rid of DEnyer and have Brad as pit reporter.
AMEN BROTHER!

I can not stand the dwarf... Brad would be a great asset to 7 as a reporter. Infact i think anyone would be good for 7 as a reporter

Go the Datto!!!
Old 2 May 2007, 04:33 (Ref:1904708)   #12
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be a shame to see Brad move on if true, although the time comes foreveryone eventually.

And if this keeps Besnard out of #4 for the enduros, I support it whole-heartedly
Old 2 May 2007, 04:39 (Ref:1904710)   #13
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would think that Brad will stay on with the team, if true, it doesn't say he is selling the team, just not driving anymore.

Don't get all carried away
Old 2 May 2007, 04:40 (Ref:1904711)   #14
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71
Will be a shame to see Brad move on if true, although the time comes foreveryone eventually.

And if this keeps Besnard out of #4 for the enduros, I support it whole-heartedly
I'll drink to that.
Old 2 May 2007, 04:44 (Ref:1904712)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The whispers from the powder room suggests that there are 4 contenders for this seat, and that is may not be a lay down misere for Mr Besnard to take the BOC ride... especially if there is a possibility of replacing Mr Ingall permanently in Mr Besnards old #9 ride........

Co-contenders are allegedly as listed in AA, including Mr Wills, Mr Murchison, Mr Brede and Mr Besnard.... with an outsider according to the spin merchants is FDVS points leader Mr D'Alberto...

..presuming any of this actually happened....
Old 2 May 2007, 04:52 (Ref:1904716)   #16
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just thinking about the timing here and I am surprised that Brad would step aside before he has a last-time attempt at the 2 enduros. The last few years, I felt he was only still in the seat so he could tackle the mountain again.

Time will tell
Old 2 May 2007, 07:38 (Ref:1904770)   #17
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiMagic
It's what i'm hearing, so..

Whats everyones reaction going to be when its announced that David Benard will make a full time return to the Championship Series at Winton replacing the outgoing Jones Snr?

It also means he will have to hand back the spare set of keys for the Jeldwen car that he had in readiness for Sandown and Bathurst?

If true why would anyone who is trying to fight their way back in to this series give up a potential sandown/bathurst win to drive a BOC car? Why o why?

Can this forum please stop inventing David Besnard rumours please? Towards the end of last season he was in a quater of the cars on the grid, even though some had been confirmed elsewhere, and he ended up getting none of them.

I mean seriously, it's not even funny any more.
Old 2 May 2007, 07:55 (Ref:1904780)   #18
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Can this forum please stop inventing David Besnard rumours please? Towards the end of last season he was in a quater of the cars on the grid, even though some had been confirmed elsewhere, and he ended up getting none of them.

I hear that Besnard is testing for Skoda in the Latvian ice circuit rally-cross team

Go the Datto!!!
Old 2 May 2007, 08:37 (Ref:1904806)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore

This one has more presence than any of last year's assertions Falcadore... would be nice to see one of the options come to fruition
Old 2 May 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1904815)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont know.

Brad still Loves driving , allthough not totally enjoying it at the moment , but he still loves doing it.

His home track is Winton so maybe he wont step down for that and have one last blast.

and surely he would do the enduro's ??

seems all strange to me , people are quick to jump on people when they are down , I dunno maybe Im looking through rose coloured glasses as I am a local fan of Brad and his efforts in all racing not just V8's.

surely if this rumor is true then it would be for next year not and half way through this year ?

can anyone shed some more information on this at all ? and not just rumour ?

Last edited by marcus; 2 May 2007 at 09:03.
Old 2 May 2007, 08:56 (Ref:1904817)   #21
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.... with an outsider according to the spin merchants is FDVS points leader Mr D'Alberto...
Doubt that one...with the family owning a Holden dealership.... now that would very surprising.
Old 2 May 2007, 08:59 (Ref:1904819)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana
Doubt that one...with the family owning a Holden dealership.... now that would very surprising.
They own a Nissan dealership too... maybe he can run a GT-R
Old 2 May 2007, 09:01 (Ref:1904821)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
can anyone shed some more information on this at all ? and not just rumour ?
The mysterious powder room suggests that the scenario is accurate... that Mr Jones has allegedly decided to replace himself... with immediate effect.

It would take a very strong character to do that... to realise that for every beginning there has to be an end... I hope Mr Jones has made peace with his choice, assuming it has happened of course , and doesnt want to try a comeback.....

... presuming any of this actually happened...
Old 2 May 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1904829)   #24
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am thinking that Brad could once again share the seat along side with one of his old team mates Neil Crompton...............Behind a mike at 7! If all is true!
Old 2 May 2007, 09:30 (Ref:1904846)   #25
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
brad was a commentator on v8's with 7 before (back in the days when it was on late at night), it would be good to see him back.

however, i would much rather see brad have one last crack at the mountain, with John Cleland as co-driver.