Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Do you like the new lmp1´s
Yes, they are lovely. 16 34.78%
Yes, but they could be better. 22 47.83%
No, they where better last year. 0 0%
No, the proportions are killing them. 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Mar 2014, 13:18 (Ref:3386584)   #1
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
FIA petition

Good day forum. People are not enjoying much the looks of the new LMP1´s. The fact that they are slimmer and have taller cockpits is the main issue. So I think there are many fans here and that we could in an organised form tell the FIA about our opinions. I already sent them a twitter saying that I disliked the fact that making them narrower does not make any sense (making them taller is for safety reasons mainly visibility). So I ask to anybody who has a twitter to tell them your opinion today or in a close period and to leave your opinion below and in the poll. Thank you
Old 30 Mar 2014, 13:28 (Ref:3386588)   #2
Pandemonium
Racer

And Fernando Rees from Aston Martin just marked my tweet as favorite. Come on gusy we must not stand with our arms crossed. No way we will let things get as ridiculous as with F1 where even Bernie said he hates the new V6 and Vettel said "they sound like ****".
Old 30 Mar 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3386590)   #3
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't find them that bad actually. I prefer the new Audi over the old one from last year, and they all are better than the original Peugeot 908. If they want to make them look nice and easy to see out of they could start with taking the roofs off, for me.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3386591)   #4
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, if we really want to get them sexed up - no fins and normally aspirated petrol engines of 10 or 12 cylinders. But that's not going to happen, ever.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 14:01 (Ref:3386601)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
well i think they juST don't look as good as previous years IMHO
Old 30 Mar 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3386605)   #6
Pandemonium
Racer

But I haven´t made this thread to complain about the fins because they are there for a good reason. Cutting the withd of the cars and tires though is just silly.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3386607)   #7
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Can we all please stop pretending that petitions in motorsport have any relevance to the decision process?

Also, narrower cars - less frontal area - less drag - less power needed for the same lap time - less fuel - MORE EFFICIENCY. And that was the goal of the new LMP1 rules from the start.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 15:55 (Ref:3386655)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
(1)Lower the ride height

(2)full width rear wing , front wing element allowed .

(3)open up engine rules .

(4)Get rid of hybrid and other mad tech that is pricing privateer teams out of competing

(5)Adjust the cockpit dimentions for a more p-leasing look

(6) Reintroduce the carriage of a 5th wheel or mandated baggage room .

(7) Get rid of that abortion of a fin

(8) Integral design of pax seat of reasonable dimentions .

Just my 2 pence ..... I voted for option 4 .
Old 30 Mar 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3386678)   #9
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Send your complaints to Ulrich & co. directly since they have sat in the commission/working group meetings too.

I was disappointed because 2014 was a chance to make even bigger chassis revamp, i.e. new underloor design (ground effect) and maybe that way making the fin redundant. If there even were such ideas I think the teams might have preferred to keep status quo anyway, as happened with F1...

Audi is a bit awkward, Toyota is a bit... different at least but I think the Porsche is from certain angles the best looking LMP since Acura '08. Too bad the livery is a joke.

Last edited by deggis; 30 Mar 2014 at 16:43.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3386721)   #10
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Literally an hour into the first race we'll all be used to them. I'm already used to them to be honest. Agree with deggis on his point about them missing an opportunity. But I think there are bigger things to worry about.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3386737)   #11
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get rid of the wings and put the engines back in front!

Oops, wrong forum.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 18:50 (Ref:3386743)   #12
Pandemonium
Racer

Not sure about getting used to them. Low wide cars will always look awesome. I will miss the 2013 cars.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3386763)   #13
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last year's cars weren't even that low compared to a TS020 or a Bentley EXP.

Each to their own but I don't think it's a massive issue.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 19:39 (Ref:3386769)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
Not sure about getting used to them. Low wide cars will always look awesome. I will miss the 2013 cars.
They were ugly last year, they are ugly this year

I'm excited for the upcoming year.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3386789)   #15
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think they're ugly at all. If this year's race is close, then the next generation in 20 or 30 years' time will be bemoaning that the Le Mans cars don't look enough like a 919, or an R18.

If you really believe that strongly, go for it, but I won't sign it. There's more important things in life to put your name to.

Enthusiast I may be, but in reality these cars are only something for my eyes to look at and my ears to hear, beer in hand, on one particular weekend in June.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3386808)   #16
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
We're looking at the most exciting sports car season that I care to remember, most likely the most diverse since 1999....so I really can't get myself to care about cars that are slightly narrower than last year.

Non-issue for me, sorry.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 22:08 (Ref:3386832)   #17
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
The return of full width rear wing helps a lot with the new cars (or actually: iirc the max width of the car is still 10 centimetres wider than the wing but it doesn't make a big difference visually, if the cars are even built to the max width in the first place). The Toyota-invented extensions look ugly in comparison.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 01:54 (Ref:3386896)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
if I were to change the LMP1 rules for esthetics...

o- I'd lower the front wheelarches, they shouldn't be so fat.
o- Front noses should be much longer and lower, not vertical.
o- Wheelbase should be much shorter. They're race cars, not limousines.
o- Remove the fin, as long as it's safe.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 03:58 (Ref:3386918)   #19
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see what you guys are complaining about. I was at the Prologue and not for 1 second did I think " hey these cars are 10cm less wide then last years". They all look incredible and they look even beter moving. So please stop complaining about this non-issue and go see them in real life before slagging them off on the basis of seeing them on a screen.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 07:38 (Ref:3386951)   #20
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
People can complain if they like. Its a big world with many differing opinions right? I like the new body rules for fenders behind the front wheels. They didnt need to make them have a higher roof height imo. Theres not a huge difference though. I think altering the seating position and the fender height was enough for visibility. Narrower cars arent my favorite but 10cm is the length of your index finger, so its not a big deal. I like them about as much as last year. Ideally Group C or late 90's GT1 would be my choice though
Old 31 Mar 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3387079)   #21
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have three manufacturers, each committing two cars with completely different solutions to how to propel the most technologically advanced racing cars in the world forward. I'm in heaven personally, the regs are obviously working in at least some way.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3387102)   #22
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will have a Petrol V4 Turbo Hybrid, Petrol V8 NA Hybrid, Diesel V6 Turbo Hybrid, Petrol V8 NA and Petrol V6 Turbo.

5 different LMP1 models and 5 different engines, just realise how special this is! Who cares about the looks of the cars?

Ofcourse i prefer sexy looking cars, but these big differences are great. No "cup racing" like F1 but real technical freedom.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3387120)   #23
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard117 View Post
We will have a Petrol V4 Turbo Hybrid, Petrol V8 NA Hybrid, Diesel V6 Turbo Hybrid, Petrol V8 NA and Petrol V6 Turbo.

5 different LMP1 models and 5 different engines, just realise how special this is! Who cares about the looks of the cars?

Ofcourse i prefer sexy looking cars, but these big differences are great. No "cup racing" like F1 but real technical freedom.
100% agree - the current era has great potential. Variety is the spice of life and it should make for great racing. We all crave for the return of the group C days, but in reality that became far more like a spec series than many people admit as for years it was dominated by large numbers of the same car.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3387164)   #24
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anything can be improved, but they look pretty good. Certainly good enough that the thought that people should throw away their new cars to build different ones is simply ridiculous.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 20:17 (Ref:3387177)   #25
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard117 View Post

Amen brother! And the 3 hybrid systems are all different too! Porsche utilizes a battery system, Toyota a super capacitor, and Audi a flywheel.
Let's just hope Lotus actually shows...