Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 15 Dec 2001, 17:24 (Ref:186231)   #1
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Park

CONCORD, N.C. -- For some drivers, the wait to return to racing can be worse than the injuries that forced them to sit out. Just ask Steve Park.
Park suffered head injuries during a Busch Series race at Darlington in September. Since that time, Kenny Wallace has driven the No. 1 Pennzoil-sponsored car for Dale Earnhardt Inc. with admirable results. Park, meanwhile, has made very few public appearances and has not been to a race since the accident.

"It's hard to go back to the track and not do the things you love to do," Park said. "I couldn't go and smell the gas, the burning rubber and enjoy myself. So, why go back to the track when you can't do the things you love to do." Park has had some major hurdles to overcome during his healing process. Lingering effects of the accident include impaired vision and diminished strength. The 34-year-old native of East Northport, N.Y., suffered from double vision after the accident and has also lost some weight. Park said his vision is basically fine now, from the horizon upward, and that has enabled him to drive his personal vehicle for the past month. However, he continues to have problems with his vision from the horizon down. Behind the wheel of a race car, it is important for a driver to have a full range of vision to spot passing opportunities and trouble on the track. To improve his vision, Park has been doing rehabilitative eye exercises for 2-4 hours a day to ready for his return.
"I feel good, I really do," Park said while taking part in the third annual Race Fans Beach Bash in Jamaica. "This is the first time I have had any injury to the eyes, and that's been tough to deal with. I've been going to the gym and getting my strength back almost every day. That way, when the eyes do come back I'll be ready to go. Right now I'm at about 90 percent on the vision part and the doctors said it could come back overnight." There has been some speculation about Park's condition and when he will return to the car. DEI has announced that Kenny Wallace will continue driving the No. 1 car until Park's return, which the team is hoping will be the Daytona 500 in February. But because Park may not be able to test in January, and since there is no telling when his vision will return to 100 percent, he is prepared to wait. "I talk to Kenny all the time. He's a great guy and a friend of mine," Park said. "He's done a great job in the car filling in for me. You know, if I come back for Daytona like we've planned -- that's fine. "If I come back two weeks later -- that's fine with me, too. I couldn't think of a better person than Kenny to put in the Pennzoil car."

When the accident forced Park out of the car 24 races into the season, he was 10th in points with one victory, five top-fives and 12 top-10s. Three of those top-fives were second-place finishes and he led eight races for a total of 508 laps. That may be the main reason Park is not rushing himself to get back into the car. "I was winning races when I was in the car," he said. "I want to be able to win when I get back. Winston Cup racing is so competitive it makes you want to come back and win. "I'll never take my eyesight for granted again. When you wake up and all the focus and work goes into trying to see perfect, you just can't ever take your eyesight for granted. "That's the main thing we're doing. We left winning and I want to come back and not endanger myself, or anybody else, and try and win."
Old 16 Dec 2001, 02:23 (Ref:186389)   #2
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get me wrong, I feel for the guy. That must be a hard thing to deal with. But I would love to do what he doesn't want to do. Just go to a race and watch. I can understand why he feels that way, though. That's one of the reasons I don't go watch bands play any more. I would want to get up on the stage and play too, and due to my own health, I can't do that anymore. So if I was a driver, and couldn't race for any reason, I wouldn't want to go to a track either.
Old 16 Dec 2001, 05:00 (Ref:186398)   #3
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He knows himself better than anybody. I would want to avoid a heartbreaker too- That's what he's doing.

I think that his appearance has been affected. His eyes certainly do NOT look focused. He wishes to avoid the camera's until he's in better shape.

Did ya see what RCR29 said about his apperence on SCF? The kid still has some problems.
Old 16 Dec 2001, 08:13 (Ref:186411)   #4
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was on TV tonight at a tribute for Dale Earnhardt with Michael Waltrip. He seemed to not be able to see all that well. I really feel for the guy.
Old 16 Dec 2001, 16:52 (Ref:186547)   #5
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim B
He was on TV tonight at a tribute for Dale Earnhardt with Michael Waltrip. He seemed to not be able to see all that well. I really feel for the guy.
That's too bad...he's a great kid.
Old 18 Dec 2001, 00:14 (Ref:187127)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
such a shame for steve park and the #1 pennzoil machine, i have become a fan of his over the last 2 years with that car running consistently up the front end of the pack