Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Apr 2008, 07:36 (Ref:2170880)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
CSCC Classic & Jaguar Weekend - Snetterton, 5/6 April

A bit of an odd meeting with its mix of ancient and modern, but it actually works well in practice. Having weathered heavy rain, hail, a cold wind along with the occasional sunny break in the clouds, I'm trying to motivate myself to get back down there this morning, particularly as it appears to be even colder.

Sorry, Sarah (H) but I didn't realise that you were going to be there on the first day until I saw you race, but still couldn't find you or your car in the paddock after. Oh well, next time!

I will post pics up but will restrict myself to those races where the content was predominantly historic!

Last edited by John Turner; 7 Apr 2008 at 07:12. Reason: A spelling error!
Old 6 Apr 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2170900)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see you again John,Sarah,I did come over to Race Control but it was packed out.Glad the "500" boys got out eventually[brave souls].
Had contemplated going over today but I remembered the sleep therapy program is on at 11.30,so I'm staying here!!
Old 6 Apr 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2170945)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some of the FJs and 500s on Saturday.

Old 6 Apr 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2171708)   #4
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
restyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just thawed out from CSCC Snett. Good to meet you John. Expect AK was tucked up in front of the tele watching paint dry in the far east. Have popped a few pics off to the comic for Thurs report. Wonder why I shot about 800 frames over the 2 days when the report will carry 2 shots max !! Thank goodness for digital ! I do remember doing an entire meeting on a single roll of B&W in the olden days. I believe it was sometimes a 24 exp too !!
Old 7 Apr 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2171952)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to meet you, too, Richard, and welcome to 10-Tenths. Don't be a stranger on here. Since AK has published a few pics above he obviously wasn't tucked up warm the whole time! Despite the occasional short flurry of snow, I didn't think it was quite as cold as Saturday, since the wind wasn't so strong. Nevertheless, it wasn't exactly shirt sleeve weather on either day!

This was a good meeting, with some very strong grids, particularly for the 'Equipe GTS' and Swinging Sixties Series.

That most extraordinary machine depicted in Andrew's first two shots above is the 1947 Monaco, a very early example of an F500 and which participated, albeit briefly, in the John Cooper Memorial Race on Saturday. It was 3 years older than any of the other F500 participants, and was, it has to be said, rather slow, but it was great to see such a historic machine out on the tracks and all credit to John Potts for bringing it along. Whether it, and indeed the other F500s, should have been sharing the track in qualifying with the latter FJ boys is debatable, given the substantial disparity of performance. It also led to a huge delay in getting out the qualifying times for both races, since, apparently, each lap for each car had to be scanned individually to establish the qualifying order. In this day of modern technology? However, this was a small blip. A slightly larger one was the overrun, on both days, of the racing programme, caused by red flag/clear up stoppages, which meant that the last race of each day was terminated prematurely. Of course, it is very difficult to legislate for the number of stoppages and clear up times, and both this issue and that of the qualifying times mentioned above would have affected the drivers rather than the spectators who enjoyed an excellent and well organised event.

Last edited by John Turner; 7 Apr 2008 at 15:46.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 07:55 (Ref:2171960)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good to see you have signed up Rich! Was only there for a short time Saturday, mainly to catch the FJs. I understand all of the 500s were called in from their session for being too noisy! They then went out with the FJs later. However many FJs were not allowed on track for this session either, some had the wrong colour noise test stickers on apparantly - frantic scenes of stuffing exhausts and much ugly heated debate in the assembly area.
It's all getting a bit ridiculous. Dr JP should buy that house (where the woman lives who complains the most) and open it up as a B&B for weekend race teams or mid-week testers. On Sunday, I was watching paint dry Rich, but of a different acrylic kind!
Old 7 Apr 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2171982)   #7
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We raced the Peerless in the Swinging Sixties on Sun. Left home in fairly heavy snow at 0700 thinking we must be mad, but all in all a pretty good albeit cold day weatherwise. Unfortunately Peter Peerless broke his back axle, the crowd at Russell saw him spin with Ian driving on the last lap, it had probably been going for some time, Ian reporting banging and vibrating,(thinking it was the rear bump stop,) and let go altogether when loaded up at Russells! He still did the slowing down lap though (after all the spring was keeping the wheel on!) So a spell in Ians' workshop is necessary as I am out mid May with the CTCRC. Terrific mix of cars in the Swinging Sixties and it will be interesting to see how the handicap for winning rule that has been implemented for this season works out.

Last edited by Celia Stevens; 7 Apr 2008 at 08:19.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 08:32 (Ref:2171991)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
It's all getting a bit ridiculous. Dr JP should buy that house (where the woman lives who complains the most) and open it up as a B&B for weekend race teams or mid-week testers.
Yes, agreed; I've often thought that. Make her an offer she can't refuse, JP!
Old 7 Apr 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2172029)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I should have took my collection of SuperTrapps I would have made a fortune! Seriously though why don't organising clubs carry a few sound reducing silencers and hire them or sell them to guys that fall foul, I notice Merlin down at Combe always seem to sell a few on the day and they aint exactly cheap. I have just put a monster transverse silencer on my black car I got in from the US one inlet in and two outlets, yet to fire her up but if that don't do the trick I may as well resort to fitting a standard road system!
Old 7 Apr 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2172055)   #10
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Good to see you have signed up Rich! Was only there for a short time Saturday, mainly to catch the FJs. I understand all of the 500s were called in from their session for being too noisy! They then went out with the FJs later. However many FJs were not allowed on track for this session either, some had the wrong colour noise test stickers on apparantly - frantic scenes of stuffing exhausts and much ugly heated debate in the assembly area.
It's all getting a bit ridiculous. Dr JP should buy that house (where the woman lives who complains the most) and open it up as a B&B for weekend race teams or mid-week testers. On Sunday, I was watching paint dry Rich, but of a different acrylic kind!
The episosde was as confusing as it was farcical. The limit of 118db is easily achievable; I fitted my usual silencer which passes the 106db limit at hillclimbs. I'm sure none of the participants would have had any problem meeting the limit.
One of the bugbears of running a 500 is the need to avoid lots of stopping and starting which made Saturday's episode extremely frustrating. We were all supposed to be tested for noise on the way to the assembly area so the problem should have been dealt with far sooner than it was; assuming there was a problem in the first place which I doubt.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2172323)   #11
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
snett fan55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really enjoyed what I saw of yesterdays meeting,original plan was to stay inside in the warm and watch BSB ,well we all know what happened there!So we decided to brave the weather and drove down from Norwich, and the SUN was shining!Yes it was cold but I have to say the races were so good I did,nt really notice. It has been a long time since a 40minute race has been over quicker than I hoped!Excellent racing, great variety and proper racing commitment. I commend it to anyone who might be "thinking" of attending the next outing.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 14:44 (Ref:2172369)   #12
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a competitor's viewpoint I have to say that it was an excellent meeting. It is some time since I have competed in such a well attended and diverse meeting. Being able to walk around the paddock in between track duties and look at anything from a 500 via FJ to MkII Jag, XJS to Monopostos was a real trip through club racing history! The Swinging '60's grid which I had the pleasure to be a part of was sublime from Kurtis 500 to Corvette and everything in between. Well done to Neil Howe for his 2 TR4 victories in the Equipe races and Celia - I hope you get the Peerles axle repaired in good time - it created quite a roundabout in the middle of Russell!
Well done all at CSCC - you even managed to find some sunshine for us.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2172379)   #13
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw some good racing. I was there as photographer for Monoposto championships.

Got rained on...
Got snowed on...
Got hailed on ...
Got blown about a bit...
and a bit of sunshine for good measure!
Old 7 Apr 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2172494)   #14
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
I love that Monaco 500 seen it a couple of times before. Think it ran at Snett last year. It reminds me of an early fifties surgical boot ... But in a nice way you understand. All in all a brill meeting I thought, even though the weather could have been kinder. My thanks to all the participants who may take a look at this thread for making such an enjoyable weekends racing.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2172888)   #15
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great day too. Managed to spin on the first corner of the out lap in qualifying at such a low speed I was somewhat worried that all the winter work on the suspension had gone horribly wrong. However, a few laps on the tyres and a slight damper setting change sorted it and all was fine for the race.

Big thanks to all the marshalls for standing out in the bitter cold.

Looking forward to my next CSCC meeting at Mallory.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2173222)   #16
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesholland
The episosde was as confusing as it was farcical. The limit of 118db is easily achievable; I fitted my usual silencer which passes the 106db limit at hillclimbs. I'm sure none of the participants would have had any problem meeting the limit.
One of the bugbears of running a 500 is the need to avoid lots of stopping and starting which made Saturday's episode extremely frustrating. We were all supposed to be tested for noise on the way to the assembly area so the problem should have been dealt with far sooner than it was; assuming there was a problem in the first place which I doubt.
Well I was one of the unfortunates who failed to pass the noise test, albeit in my FJ, despite fitting the silencer that has always served me well in the past at Brands and other circuits. I actually went through twice and, even at 40% of the max revs, I was still over at 108db. So rather than hanging around, trying to argue my case, or fabricating a lashed-up device, I went home. I am now looking to buy a new silencer!

What is worrying is that these instances are increasing and those who complain do not distinguish the type of vehicle. Their only concern is the noise. What a shame if we reach a point when historics and vintage racing cars sound like dysons.

What I will say is a fantastic turn out of 500s. Mr Potts should receive a medal.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2173282)   #17
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead
Had a great day too.

Big thanks to all the marshalls for standing out in the bitter cold.

Looking forward to my next CSCC meeting at Mallory.
Agreed Moose - I have already thanked Marshals and etceteras on the Marshal's Forum, but they are great orange people out there! Hope you all waved thanks to them as you circulated.

I would also like to thank all the competitors - we wouldn't have such a great entertaining meeting without you all - Cheers
Old 8 Apr 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2173338)   #18
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner

I will post pics up but will restrict myself to those races where the content was predominantly historic!
Do you have any pics of the historic (10 year old) Citroen Xsara in the Tin Tops race?
Old 8 Apr 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2173388)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I think I might have, although stretching it to call it historic especially as the programme suggests it's 9 years old. I wasn't going to include that race in my review but when I get around to this meeting, I'll include one of this car, because I'm nice like that!
Old 8 Apr 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2173389)   #20
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
Hi Carrera. I have one not particularly good shot of the Xsara. I will attempt to attach it but not done that before so anything could happen. Just hope it does not take 2 weeks to download. Should be ok as I have resized it pretty small. Not convinced this is going to work.
Attached Thumbnails
2008_04_05_1210-copy.jpg  
Old 8 Apr 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2173391)   #21
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
Good lord !!!!!!!!!! It did work.

Saved you a job John !
Old 8 Apr 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2173393)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by restyles
I will attempt to attach it but not done that before so anything could happen. Just hope it does not take 2 weeks to download. Should be ok as I have resized it pretty small. Not convinced this is going to work.
Who's a clever boy then!
Old 8 Apr 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2173396)   #23
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
OK, now I can do it if anyone wants to look at anything that has raced at Snett since 1967 just let me know !!!!!!!!!!!!

Only joking !
Old 8 Apr 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2173405)   #24
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Torquewrench: Oh yes, waved to the boys & girls in orange, always do.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2173651)   #25
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera
Do you have any pics of the historic (10 year old) Citroen Xsara in the Tin Tops race?
I thought you had all worked it out by now : GPR Tin Tops Series is not just for classics (like Mini Cooper), but for anything right up to yesterday!!!

Tags
classic sports car club, cscc