Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2011, 20:07 (Ref:2897388)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
R.I.P. wet weather F1 racing

Why fanny around for so many laps under the safety car?
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2897501)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I Bet after the race we just witnessed you wished you had never posted that lol!
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2897502)   #3
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I Bet after the race we just witnessed you wished you had never posted that lol!
+1 Like!
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2897505)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I loved the race, but it does seem odd that the SC only comes in when the track is fit for intermediates. It makes one wonder why they bother having full wets at all.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:32 (Ref:2897509)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't.

It was a thrilling finale, but my point remains. It seems you are no longer allowed to have wet races on anything other than a damp track.

Tooling round behind the safety car for ages is a waste of laps. Yes, circumstances meant we got an excellent end to the Grand Prix, but how does that change my point?
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2897586)   #6
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
It was a thrilling finale, but my point remains. It seems you are no longer allowed to have wet races on anything other than a damp track.

Tooling round behind the safety car for ages is a waste of laps. Yes, circumstances meant we got an excellent end to the Grand Prix, but how does that change my point?

(Hurt your finger, Born Racer?)
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2897629)   #7
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

(Hurt your finger, Born Racer?)
Someone has finally got "The Finger".
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2897511)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's right though. Korea last year set a precedent. I said at the time that the Korean GP 2010 was the death of the full wet race and it seems I was right.

They should've not started behind the SC. The SC should've been in atleast 5 laps before it did on the 2nd restart. As DC and Brundle kept saying, these are the best drivers out there. Lets see them race.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2897526)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
He's right though. Korea last year set a precedent. I said at the time that the Korean GP 2010 was the death of the full wet race and it seems I was right.

They should've not started behind the SC. The SC should've been in atleast 5 laps before it did on the 2nd restart. As DC and Brundle kept saying, these are the best drivers out there. Lets see them race.
This says it all really.

SC start was bull****, and the dozens of laps tooling around behind the SC whilst it was "too wet" was bull**** too.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2897591)   #10
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
This says it all really.

SC start was bull****, and the dozens of laps tooling around behind the SC whilst it was "too wet" was bull**** too.

Can't argue with that
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2897514)   #11
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No I agree on this fully. Starting under the SC was ridiculous in my view. I will perhaps forgive it because they've not run these tyres in earnest before so didn't know what to expect. But still there was way too much safety car time. If you're going to leave it out for 20 laps why not just throw the red flag then and there?

And one lap after it came in we had drivers pitting for inters. Heck, D'Ambrosio followed it in! That's just stupid, the SC should have been in at least 5 laps earlier.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2897579)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Charlie was arguably over cautious today, but he probably saved (most of) the teams a small fortune in carbon fibre bits.

It's a difficult call, which needs to include consideration of the proximity of the barriers, no wet weather running all weekend, very little knowledge on the performance of the tyres, most/all of the cars set up for dry conditions at the start of the race, etc. etc.

In the end we got a great spectacle, and maybe avoided some expensive carnage.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 01:26 (Ref:2897697)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Charlie was arguably over cautious today, but he probably saved (most of) the teams a small fortune in carbon fibre bits.
But how much television revenue did they lose? And if contracts made them not lose a pennny, others did and will get revenge.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2897823)   #14
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
But how much television revenue did they lose? And if contracts made them not lose a pennny, others did and will get revenge.
I think this is exactly why Rupert and James Murdoch must watch F1 racing and think that they could not only do a better job but also make a fortune.

Whilst I accept Mr. Whiting's job includes looking after the safety of the drivers what is obviously lacking is any input from somebody interested in "the show", which is after all paying the lion's share of their salaries.

The Safety car start was ridiculous and if it's too dangerous when it rains red flag it straight away don't have the absurd spectacle of some of the most highly paid and talented drivers in the world trundling around at 60 mph line astern.

I imagine people switched channels in droves, their mistake as it turned out, but I bet the ratings were destroyed.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2897841)   #15
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
I think this is exactly why Rupert and James Murdoch must watch F1 racing and think that they could not only do a better job but also make a fortune.

Whilst I accept Mr. Whiting's job includes looking after the safety of the drivers what is obviously lacking is any input from somebody interested in "the show", which is after all paying the lion's share of their salaries.

The Safety car start was ridiculous and if it's too dangerous when it rains red flag it straight away don't have the absurd spectacle of some of the most highly paid and talented drivers in the world trundling around at 60 mph line astern.

I imagine people switched channels in droves, their mistake as it turned out, but I bet the ratings were destroyed.
I switched channels but kept an eye out for the restart using that new fangled device the remote control- what's so difficult about that?

And whilst the broadcasters need input, they should NEVER have input that may affect the safety of the race. Which is the specific reasons why the SC was used so much.

Nobody here can really comment accurately as we were not in the cars, and the view from the visor is very different from the view from the camera. I would imagine the problem is not the grip from the tyres and whether they work or not, but more to do with visibility. If you cannot see, you cannot race, even if you are the best in the world - its too dangerous. Simple as that.

That said, they were maybe a bit overcautious and the SC could have come in a couple of laps earlier.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2897852)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Nobody here can really comment accurately as we were not in the cars, and the view from the visor is very different from the view from the camera. I would imagine the problem is not the grip from the tyres and whether they work or not, but more to do with visibility. If you cannot see, you cannot race, even if you are the best in the world - its too dangerous. Simple as that.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was wasn't for the precedent that has been set over x number of years previously. Bringing out the safety car used to be the exception when things got REALLY bad, and even then it was for the majority of cases when cars were aquaplaning off the road rather than being down to visibility. Now it seems to be the rule. Drivers dealt with spray in the past so why not now?

The red flag was of course justified once the rain got as bad as it did, but starting the under the safety car and staying out as long as it did after the restart was just ludicrous. They were ready for inters within a couple of laps of the safety car coming in after the restart! Something is wrong here.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2904238)   #17
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
most/all of the cars set up for dry conditions at the start of the race, etc. etc.

The race was declared a wet race before the off, if I remember rightly? It seems a bit odd that all they could do is change tyres. I know that cars are in parc ferme after qualifying, but if there's a change of weather, surely they should have 10 mins to set the car up for the wet? At least then the race may have been able to start properly?
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2897593)   #18
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. Totally over the top with the safety car today. We will have to stop racing in Britain if those conditions weren't safe! It was a great race in the end but the safety car start was ridiculous.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2897644)   #19
Lennon
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Lennon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Safety car driver had the biggest fun of the race.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 23:34 (Ref:2897648)   #20
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was a spectacular race in the end, but I do think the SC was over the top. In the past it seems bringing the SC out for rain was a rarity when things got absolutely extreme, but it seems to be becoming the norm which is worrying.

In the end it was right to red flag it, but I was alarmed at how fast the SC came out after it started to rain. Also on the restart there was practically a dry line forming when it came in.

With blown this and blown that it seems that the reliance on aero is even more extreme despite the measures they have tried to bring in to kerb it. The cars need to have more mechanical grip if they are that undriveable after a bit of rain.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 02:48 (Ref:2897723)   #21
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much safety is too much? They should race in the rain. Aren't they called rain tires?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 03:16 (Ref:2897727)   #22
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh I don't think the extreme wets are that extreme at all..
Old 13 Jun 2011, 04:29 (Ref:2897736)   #23
MikeManNZ
Racer

MikeManNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well for me it SUCKED.

Two laps at race speed and then I had to go to work

Did not find out the result until late in the day and now wish I had not and could watch the replay tonight!!!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2897780)   #24
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely agree about the over-use of the safety car.

If the cars are that undriveable in the wet then the cars should be changed. All they need to do is say to the teams that races will not be stopped or SC'ed in the rain. It would be up to the teams to design something that works in all kinds of weather conditions. If they don't and they aquaplane off the track - well tough you won't win the race.

Bet the teams would find a solution pretty quick!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:41 (Ref:2897803)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Charlie did exactly the right thing!

Any other decision would have been TOTAL STUPIDITY!