Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 1 Jun 2007, 21:39 (Ref:1926553)   #76
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it is surely best not to rise to that kind of thing if you feel it is unfair?

Doesn't bother me personally mind you.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 02:11 (Ref:1926645)   #77
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
It is very sad, but it doesn't pay to have it rammed down your throat all the time.
Not sure if anyone was ramming it down anyones throat. The figures were only provided, not much else.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 06:32 (Ref:1929033)   #78
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
A shame the race ended already at lap 166 because of the rain but with Franchitti they have a good winner. Congrats to him.

BTW In Holland they showed the full race.
Of course the race would have gone the full distance - or at least nearer, had not the last ten on the grid been such stiffs - perhaps some over the hill, some inexperienced, but stiffs none-the-less.

This was one of the best fields in a long time through the top half of the grid, and they generally succeeded in giving us a very good race - when the tail-end-ten weren't running into walls.

http://lastturnclub.com/index.php?op...=125&Itemid=71
Old 5 Jun 2007, 09:28 (Ref:1929168)   #79
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I would put forward that if you looked at the back ten in the early CART years you would find even bigger stiffs than the last ten this year. Further, while Moreno and Al Jr might be past it, they are not now and never were stiffs.

Can you say: "Pat Bedard?"
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 13:36 (Ref:1929353)   #80
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Can you say: "Pat Bedard?"
Yes, I think Emmo learnt his name as well as one of the drivers who outqualified him in 1984.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 23:34 (Ref:1929786)   #81
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's always disheartening to me how American open-wheel discussion boards always center around the relative politics/popularity of the "other guys" rather than the actual racing. Ten-Tenths is one of the few "neutral" respites from that. Let's keep it that way eh?

</high horse>
Old 6 Jun 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1930058)   #82
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
There will always be moments when the stiffs do better than expected...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1930119)   #83
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I know...and I suppose hanging it together for 4 laps on your tod is different to 200 laps with 32 others...but I still find it quite amusing that on one weekend at least Bedard was faster than Emmo.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1930563)   #84
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
It's always disheartening to me how American open-wheel discussion boards always center around the relative politics/popularity of the "other guys" rather than the actual racing. Ten-Tenths is one of the few "neutral" respites from that. Let's keep it that way eh?

</high horse>
I have no such perspective. Mine is NOT that the "other guys" are better as a group. They aren't. Simply that when you split a group of drivers into two, you dilute each of those groups and the bottom of the grid on one side is less capable. If you add the two together, you push this year's last ten off the grid - most of them anyway. Who you replace them with is the likes of Bourdais, for instance. That perspective doesn't take sides at all, nor does it "fault" anyone. It is what it is. If you have one series in North America (take your pick), you have a better race at Indianapolis. Period.

It's as valid an editorial point of view, AFAIK, to comment on the weakness of a part of the entry as it is to comment on the strength of another. I said that the front of this grid - through a dozen or more - was as competitive as ever, or more so. This point of view is no different than saying a football league is strong at the top, but very weak at the bottom - for whatever reason - as apposed to one that is pretty competitive throughout. Here is what was written...in full.

If you can "draft" the best ten from the "other guys" to Indy, then you have a better race. Less cautions. Period. If you read "relative politics/popularity of the other guys into that, you're trying way too hard.