Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 30 May 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1924986)   #1
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Congrads to Dario

Congrads to Dario -- he was quick all month and has always been a class act.
Totally deserving of the 500 win.
Old 30 May 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1924994)   #2
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here here! 1st Scotman to win the Indy 500 since Jim Clark! Well Done Dario! We have 3 times F1 World Champion, a Le Mans winner, a Grand Prix winner and an Indy 500 winner in the Scottish Motor Racing Club now! Not bad for a wee club with not many members!
Old 31 May 2007, 02:46 (Ref:1925092)   #3
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Here here! 1st Scotman to win the Indy 500 since Jim Clark! Well Done Dario! We have 3 times F1 World Champion, a Le Mans winner, a Grand Prix winner and an Indy 500 winner in the Scottish Motor Racing Club now! Not bad for a wee club with not many members!
Not bad at all rcarr -- And as an american, of course I'd like to see us produce more great drivers. To this point, in my opinion, the only driver America has ever produced that belongs in that same rarified air as the great Jim Clark and the great Jackie Stewart is the great Mario Andretti. So hat's off to Dario and the rich tradition of racers from Scotland.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 31 May 2007 at 02:51.
Old 31 May 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1925425)   #4
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
Not bad at all rcarr -- And as an american, of course I'd like to see us produce more great drivers. To this point, in my opinion, the only driver America has ever produced that belongs in that same rarified air as the great Jim Clark and the great Jackie Stewart is the great Mario Andretti. So hat's off to Dario and the rich tradition of racers from Scotland.
It's an interesting question really, why there is such an apparent difference between US and European drivers.

With the exception of Mario, in street-racing US drivers have never really been able to touch European ones. There's been a few good ones, but considering the size of motorsport in the US, not as many as you'd expect. Maybe they all just ended up in NASCAR instead.

One thing I've often wondered (which the American members of this forum should be able to answer), is how big is the karting culture in the states? And also, do they run those in street-race like events, or also on mini-ovals?
Old 31 May 2007, 13:58 (Ref:1925437)   #5
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
A few years ago Sir Jackie was giving his speech at the annual dinner dance, he said that Scotland has more World Champions in motor sport per head of population than Brazil. Interesting! They must put something in the water to make us so good!

Just think of how many Scottish champions/winners there have been over the years!
Old 31 May 2007, 19:10 (Ref:1925606)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was the Italian bit of Dario that won at Indy. IMO.
Old 31 May 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1925634)   #7
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
It was the Italian bit of Dario that won at Indy. IMO.
There isn't much Italian left in him! His Grandad me thinks!
Old 31 May 2007, 23:45 (Ref:1925783)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, just a bunch of nobodies have been sent to Europe aside from Mario: Phil Hill, Mark Donohue, Dan Gurney, Peter Revson...

All Phil Hill could manage to accomplish was a WDC...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 01:09 (Ref:1925815)   #9
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The U.S. has plenty of road racing talent; it just ends up in sports cars. Watch an American Le Mans Series or Grand-Am race and you'll see a long list of American drivers hold their own against a very strong international contingent. Just because we don't make waves in Formula 1 doesn't make the American road racing scene irrelevant.

But this thread isn't about road racing, it's about Dario, and there are few drivers as deserving of the honor of Indy 500 champion as him. And unless you count Mario, it had been twice as long for an Italian to win Indy than a Scot. Lucky for me, I'm partly German-American, so I'll always have the Unsers. Thats nine versus three three and two, suckers!
Old 1 Jun 2007, 01:37 (Ref:1925825)   #10
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Yeah, just a bunch of nobodies have been sent to Europe aside from Mario: Phil Hill, Mark Donohue, Dan Gurney, Peter Revson...

All Phil Hill could manage to accomplish was a WDC...
And excellent drivers were they all!!! -- but not in the same company as Mario, Clark, Stewart, Senna, Schuey, and Fangio -- outside of Hill {very very good driver} I'd they were more on par with Alan Jones and Damon Hill.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 1 Jun 2007 at 01:42.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:36 (Ref:1926059)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Off topic, but as great as Mario was in his day, I am not thinking he belongs in the rest of the group you noted, bluewolf.

Back to topic, I always knew Dario had it in him! Yes, he seemed to have lost his way a bit but perhaps he will now re-energize his career. He is still a young fellow and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do these next few years. I too thought he was heading towards sports cars. He still may, but if he does, what an exclamation point he put on his career on ovals!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1926208)   #12
brandspost4a
Racer

Scotland
Tunbridge Wells, KENT
brandspost4a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Here here! 1st Scotman to win the Indy 500 since Jim Clark! Well Done Dario!

Also nice to see that Autosport's front cover was in blue to celebrate his win.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 12:48 (Ref:1926215)   #13
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandspost4a

Probably the main reason for that is because he refused to have a Union Jack beside his name on the car. They always say "Daaaaario from Scaaatland" on the tv coverage.

I wonder if he gets fed up of Ashley Judd if she calls his Daaaario all the time?

Last edited by rcarr; 1 Jun 2007 at 12:52.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1926299)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandspost4a

Sadly though, he didn't get the whole cover to himself like Dan did two years ago. Horrible oversight.

Still, the "truth" about Lewis Hamilton's failure to win in Monaco against British press expectations was far too important to be shifted from the cover.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 00:19 (Ref:1926628)   #15
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes well done to Dario and to Scott for the 2nd place.

I do have to say though that if that was me out there racing and got the win I just wouldn’t be happy. You would of cause take that the win, the points and the money but the problem I have is this race could have been anyone’s to win (a bit like a lottery). If this race had gone full distance I believe we would have a completely different podium with Dario and Scott finishing in around the top 10.

As a spectator I find this very frustrating and prefer the likes of F1 when it comes to wet races. I actually like wet races every now and then because it really shows who can react quickly and it just mixes things up.

I personally would like to see the IRL come up with other options to finish races like this. I haven’t thought too much of a solution either but wanted to know what the thoughts from the floor are.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 05:35 (Ref:1926675)   #16
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Yes well done to Dario and to Scott for the 2nd place.

I do have to say though that if that was me out there racing and got the win I just wouldn’t be happy. You would of cause take that the win, the points and the money but the problem I have is this race could have been anyone’s to win (a bit like a lottery). If this race had gone full distance I believe we would have a completely different podium with Dario and Scott finishing in around the top 10.

As a spectator I find this very frustrating and prefer the likes of F1 when it comes to wet races. I actually like wet races every now and then because it really shows who can react quickly and it just mixes things up.

I personally would like to see the IRL come up with other options to finish races like this. I haven’t thought too much of a solution either but wanted to know what the thoughts from the floor are.
Well I'm not sure if Firestone has the tires to accomodate really wet conditions at indy - I think the track is extremely smooth and going at those speeds in the corners might be a bit too much -- but Dario had many practice days where he was quite fast - and throughout the race he was competitive, so he may have ended up in the winners circle anyway. And although it would have been nice to see Michael Andretti win in what might be his final attempt at indy, I'm extremely pleased by this win by Dario because I respect him so much.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 2 Jun 2007 at 05:39.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 10:52 (Ref:1926783)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Michael has announced his retirement, so this race was it.

As far as racing in the rain. It is one thing to do so on road courses that have runoff areas and a fair amount of open space in which to safely make a fool of oneself, but ovals have way too much concrete around them!

While I am sure that a fairly adequate rain tire could be made, consider the results once the adhesion level is exceeded. Those outside walls get real big real fast at those speeds and a SAFER barrier will only do so much to help dissipate the speed/energy of the impact.
Old 3 Jun 2007, 13:52 (Ref:1927574)   #18
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=Bluewolf]
but Dario had many practice days where he was quite fast - and throughout the race he was competitive, so he may have ended up in the winners circle anyway. [quote]

Bluewolf, that is true Dario was quick but my point being had the race gone full distance the podium would have been very different and I believe Dario, Scott and Ryan would have been no where the podium.

All 3 of them had split from the rest of the packs pit strategy. We know Dixon only had enough fuel for another 6 to 7 laps before he was due to stop. I’m not sure how much fuel Franchitti or Brisco had left. I believe it was a very lucky break for Dario and Scott that the rain came when it did.

JohnSSC, good point on the walls at ovals and no run off. Sort of like Monaco.

Last edited by NAC; 3 Jun 2007 at 13:54.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 02:40 (Ref:1928982)   #19
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dario and Scott were still on the best strategy. Everyone had to pit one more time, but they already had track position. The Penske's were coming fast and I think it would have been between those 4 for the win... maybe TK would have had time to catch up as well. So top 5 at worst for those two but probably better.

Briscoe didn't really have the pace to challange though.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 02:42 (Ref:1928983)   #20
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
We know Dixon only had enough fuel for another 6 to 7 laps before he was due to stop. I’m not sure how much fuel
The Dixon camp felt they had 7 laps more fuel than Dario, and were hoping the rain would come in that window, when Scott would be in the lead for the "lucky" win.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 09:46 (Ref:1929184)   #21
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks deejay for the clarification on Scott's fuel. I must have heard it wrong
Old 5 Jun 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1929230)   #22
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
I should point out that info came from Ron Dixon's mouth, so might be biased...
Old 14 Jun 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1937165)   #23
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woooo! Sometimes you feel proud to be Scottish and this is one of those times! well done Dario!
Old 14 Jun 2007, 23:17 (Ref:1937340)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC

Running a race in the rain on an oval is, clearly, not an option.

Other than installing floodlights and waiting until it is dry to re-start (regardless of the time), or re-starting it at a set time the next day, or something, I do not think there is much you can do.

I must say that I think the IRL need to shift the % forward a bit for a race to be declared. 50% is just not adequate. Personally, I would set it at something like 80-85% (personally when taking into account likely practicalites that would ever realistically be accepted). I could settle for 75% (it certainly shouldn't be lower than that, IMO).

The ultimate-ultimate is not having a declared result until 100% of laps have been run. Whether this means waiting it out regardless, or re-scheduling the remainder for another day remains a debate of course. Well, I guess there would have to be some reasonable limit to this (like 90%). Having huge delays or re-scheduling for the sake of 5 laps, say, would be a tad extreme.

Last edited by Dutton; 14 Jun 2007 at 23:23.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 15:35 (Ref:1937765)   #25
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see Dario get some luck for a change.

Cool moody wallpaper (no idea what track) here:
http://www.troyleedesigns.com/company/wallpapers.php