Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 12 Jul 2007, 02:37 (Ref:1961206)   #26
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
IRL is adding road courses though. I think this is a concession to the teams and drivers that want to race on them more than a desire to become CART 2 though. But 5 road courses is certainly a big step from the "all oval" series it was originally supposed to be.
Yes, and I do like the IRL racing on road courses, its good variety. I like the mixture of road courses, short ovals and super speedways, everything good about the CART of old. I would like to see the IRL add a road race in either China or South Korea to build international exposure in Asia.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 06:58 (Ref:1962141)   #27
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Marco will never go to GP2 {although I wish he would} --- It will feel like too much of a step down for him -- and he will have to give up the Indy 500 -- Also his ego will be at stake - if he's running mid pack in GP2, people will write him off quickly and the buzz on him will go from "we don't really know about his ability" to "The guy can't get out of mid pack in GP2. He's obviously not that good."
Old 13 Jul 2007, 07:24 (Ref:1962152)   #28
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, i'm not at all convinced by him yet. If you want to get to F1, GP2 is far higher up the ladder than the IRL, but i'm sure for a mis-placed reason, his advisors think that he's above it. I'm sure he could get a ride in a top team, for budget reasons more than anything, so if he's serious about coming over here, he should come over and learn before making the step up.

He's mid-pak in IRL, and if he came over here, joining Honda, i can't see him pressuring his team-mates. Maybe i should have more faith, but i'm not bowled over by him.

Come over, race in GP2, put yourself against the top junior drivers of Europe and see how he stacks up...
Old 13 Jul 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1962198)   #29
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as he's prepared to take a lower salary for a couple of years, GP2 is probably worth it. He would need 2 years to really challenge for the title, and maybe another year of testing before getting an F1 race drive, but if he believes he can do it and it's what he wants, he should do it now.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1962461)   #30
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
As long as he's prepared to take a lower salary for a couple of years, GP2 is probably worth it. He would need 2 years to really challenge for the title, and maybe another year of testing before getting an F1 race drive, but if he believes he can do it and it's what he wants, he should do it now.
The question is whether he wants to do that at all. As an American, even an open wheeler, F1 is far off the radar. Marco could carve out a very lucrative and successful career for himself in the IRL and NASCAR without the need to risk anything in Europe. I'm sure the 3 M's have discussed all of this among themselves and probably reached the same conclusion.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 17:32 (Ref:1962646)   #31
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With his name Marco Andretti may make it to F1 one day. If Marco would win the 500 or an IRL championship, his odds of getting a ride will greatly improve, in my opinion.

I doublt Ecclestone has given up on racing in the US, the market is so big. If honda wants him in F1, Ecclestone wants him in F1 and a big sponsor wants him in F1 he will probably land in F1. Like anywhere else, money talks in F1.Maybe with a mid pack team (if honda picks it up) and possibly an elite team in the future. Remember he is only 20.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 18:16 (Ref:1962664)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
With his name Marco Andretti may make it to F1 one day. If Marco would win the 500 or an IRL championship, his odds of getting a ride will greatly improve, in my opinion.
I'm not so sure its down to his odds of getting a ride [i.e. any ride]. Enough walla would get him a seat in a Spyker now. Michael's on record as saying he doesn't want Marco pottering around at the rear of the field... he wants him in a race winning car. The 500 and/or an IRL championship is not the route to a race winning team no matter what your name is. You don't see Ferrari or McLaren fighting over Dan Wheldon right now.

.. and all of this is on the supposition that he, Michael or Mario even want to go the F1 route.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 21:04 (Ref:1962754)   #33
cjent
Rookie

United States
FL & NC, USA
cjent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Rush and if you aren't in the car, you don't know what it drives like. Weather conditions change a car lap to lap. If it is off, it's off.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1962763)   #34
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's no way Honda would put him in their full team without at least a year's testing or GP2. Even Super Aguri have other drivers head in the pecking order.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 03:53 (Ref:1962861)   #35
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's not even close to what's needed from a driver's skill, mental strength, and commitment for F1. Right now another Michael ... or less.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 08:28 (Ref:1962916)   #36
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=davyboy]I'm not so sure its down to his odds of getting a ride [i.e. any ride]. Enough walla would get him a seat in a Spyker now. Michael's on record as saying he doesn't want Marco pottering around at the rear of the field... he wants him in a race winning car. The 500 and/or an IRL championship is not the route to a race winning team no matter what your name is. You don't see Ferrari or McLaren fighting over Dan Wheldon right now.

.. and all of this is on the supposition that he, Michael or Mario even want to go the F1 route.[/QUOTE

]I think Dan Weldon had a serious offer from BMW last year but turned it down. As for Marco, no where near good enough for F1 at this time and with the possibility of no US F1 race on the calender it might never be possible. For him to be looked at for F1 though, he would need to be dominant in Indy Car.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 09:21 (Ref:1962933)   #37
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
I think Dan Weldon had a serious offer from BMW last year but turned it down.
Wasn't it a test role, not a race drive he was offered ?
Old 14 Jul 2007, 14:17 (Ref:1963071)   #38
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As i understand it, they wanted Dan to commit without any solid commitment on their behalf, so of course he was not prepared to do that. I suspect that NASCAR will prove very profitable when he finally pitches up there.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 14:27 (Ref:1963075)   #39
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
As i understand it, they wanted Dan to commit without any solid commitment on their behalf, so of course he was not prepared to do that. I suspect that NASCAR will prove very profitable when he finally pitches up there.
Right. Staying in the US would have been a better option for him for sure.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 16:35 (Ref:1963144)   #40
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Also, Wheldon has been a very poor qualifier on road courses, which is so critical in F1.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 00:46 (Ref:1963362)   #41
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Wasn't it a test role, not a race drive he was offered ?
I'm not sure he was offered anything really. There was talk of a testing role offer, although he didn't even set foot (bum?) in an F1 car. Plenty of chances to go over for a testing weekend (as Marco has done) so I don't see why Wheldon would turn that chance down.

I got the impression it was more spin from Wheldon’s publicist than any serious interest from BMW.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 04:35 (Ref:1964056)   #42
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
A lazy $20 says Danica will get to F1 before Marco.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 06:20 (Ref:1964097)   #43
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
A lazy $20 says Danica will get to F1 before Marco.
While I think it is great she’s got another podium I don’t think she is that good to enter F1 - unless someone at the rear of the F1 grid wants a little more lime light

Marco to F1 – I feel he would have more of a chance to get a drive than Danica but still not sold on the idea (yet)
Old 16 Jul 2007, 10:16 (Ref:1964267)   #44
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
I find it entertaining that at times we get these posts from folks who profess that they have no interest in the IRL. Better, the posts imply that they somehow have inside knowledge of actual tactics used in a series that they have deemed to be inferior and not really Worth Watching. Further, without benefit of a link or hint of competent evidentiary matter state that Herta would somehow be someone you could convince to spin themselves out in order to get a yellow so someone else can win a race.

I mean, if your opinion is that Marco doesn't have it, say so. If you are going to state that Bryan Herta intentionally spun out on some sort of team orders thing in order to "gift" Marco a race win (thus proving Marco is not really worthy of an F1 drive) I think that you are engaging in some speculation that I am pretty sure neither Marco nor Herta would appreciate hearing/reading.
Oh calm down John. I hear what you're saying but I remember the race too and I'm wholly with Mountainstar. It was a highly dubious looking half spin from a driver under no pressure at all. Racing is all about team orders sometime and some managers happen to like professional fouls.......

To balance it out however Marco was of course robbed of a win when Mr Cheever forced him off the road last year so that's that one evened out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Back to topic - as I have posted elsewhere, the best thing for Marco is to take the next steamer to Europe, do a year of Formula Renault, or maybe avoid that and do 2 seasons in GP2 and then see how he matches up. He is wasting his time here (in either series) if F1 is his goal.
Agreed with that. Marco hasn't yet set the world alight but has showed some useful speed. 2 seasons of GP2 to get his act together should do it and then we'll all know what he's worth.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 23:39 (Ref:1965267)   #45
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Oh calm down John. I hear what you're saying but I remember the race too and I'm wholly with Mountainstar. It was a highly dubious looking half spin from a driver under no pressure at all. Racing is all about team orders sometime and some managers happen to like professional fouls.......
Even leaving out the herta bit, we have not seen the type of dominant performance from him that is going to have F1 bosses serenading him from under his window at night.

If he didn't have the last name and the connections we would have never heard of him.

Regardless, if one argues he has some potential there, and I'm not ruling that out, I don't see the problem in letting him develop in GP2 or Champcar if he really wants F1 or something. I think these days people are overly concerned with getting to F1 or reaching success way too fast. It wasn't that long ago when many F1 rookies were in their 30's.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 23:58 (Ref:1965275)   #46
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How was Marco robbed of a win by Cheever? He was like 5th and well behind the leader. He was robbed of a podium maybe.

I don't doubt that AGR is one team capable of orchestrating a yellow flag though.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1965640)   #47
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
How was Marco robbed of a win by Cheever? He was like 5th and well behind the leader. He was robbed of a podium maybe.
Fair enough - it's a long time ago but that's not how I remember it. I thought he was catching the leader (Dixon?) hand over fist. Anyway, as normal I'm taking us nicely off topic