Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 22 Oct 2001, 22:45 (Ref:164176)   #1
aka Robbie
Rookie

aka Robbie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TSM Clio Scholarship

I was just wondering if anyone else on here is in the TSM Scholarship this year?

AT the moment it feels like I'm in that Pop Idol (or the Pop Stars) show. I turn up, show what I can do and then they let me know if I have made it through to the next round. Only this time the wait is slightly longer!!! The last round was 5 weeks ago and results get posted after 6 weeks.

Me nerves are building I can tell ya!!!

However Nick Beaumont (from the BTCC) was my instructor last time out and I have met him at the last few BTCC races. He reasures me that all the instructors had no hesitation in saying that I was trough to round three. However my nerves won't be settled until that letter of confirmation comes through my letterbox!!!

It started off back in July with over 350 in round one. Iam now (hopefully) through to the final 30 for round three.

I will let you know how I get on.

Peter
Old 4 Nov 2001, 19:04 (Ref:169798)   #2
Simon Pullan
Racer

Simon Pullan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm doing it too.

Nothing like a free season's racing.

I've got my round 2 on Nov 7th
Old 4 Nov 2001, 22:38 (Ref:169879)   #3
aka Robbie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Pullan
I'm doing it too.
Well I will wish you good luck in getting through to round three. Let us know how you get on. Hopefully the weather will be better for you than it was for me. To start with the track was covered in dust due to a farmer plowing his field with is rught next to the track. Then it chucked it down. Result...one very greasy track.

Are you at Blyton Park for round two?

Peter

Last edited by aka Robbie; 4 Nov 2001 at 22:39.
Old 4 Nov 2001, 22:52 (Ref:169884)   #4
Simon Pullan
Racer

Yes. I think all of the first three rounds are at Blyton. It's not so bad for me because I live in Lincoln.

Oh, the weather! Tell me about it. But that's just what you get for running it during the winter in Inbredshire. Not that they could run it in the summer though.

Thanks for the good luck. I wish the same for you. I'll see you at the final then. On a proper track!

Not Silverstone though. I hate Silverstone. Anywhere else is OK. It'll probably be at Croft since that is closest to Tim Sugden's.
Old 4 Nov 2001, 22:56 (Ref:169886)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm looking at trying this out, for the fun as well as the opportunity it could be(if i were any good!) at racing. You wouldn't mind telling me if it burns a small hole or avery big hole in your pocket??
Old 4 Nov 2001, 23:04 (Ref:169890)   #6
Simon Pullan
Racer

The maximum outlay is £600. Plus travelling to and staying near Blyton if you live down south.

It's £200 per round and you only pay for the first three rounds.

If you get that far, the last two (4 and 5) are free.
Old 4 Nov 2001, 23:25 (Ref:169907)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks, that doesn't seem too much.

I live in Scotland, so obviously travelling is the problem. Is there an age you have to be, ie do you need a Driving licence for the road? 'cos i'm only 16 at the mo.
Old 4 Nov 2001, 23:30 (Ref:169911)   #8
Simon Pullan
Racer

Not sure.

Why don't you ring Rachael Bateson at TSM on 01274664850 and she'll be able to tell you everything.

You should try it. Otherwise you'll just never know what might have been.
Old 5 Nov 2001, 18:47 (Ref:170334)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I'll do it once I have a job!!! I do have that money lying around, but that is to pay for my actual road license!

It might not be much of a good reason, but both my brothers have went to Knockhill to race in a Fiesta XR2i, and Formula Ford cars. They have a race with the Fiestas, and both my brothers came second each time they went. I know they could do well if given the chance, because they are both very determined, and so am I, so if you approach it with that attitude, well there's no stopping you!

A lot of people could be a racing driver if they ever thought about it and tryed, most people don't even notice motorsports, usually football is the only sport for many.
Old 6 Nov 2001, 23:39 (Ref:171189)   #10
aka Robbie
Rookie

Re: TSM Clio Scholarship

Quote:
Originally posted by aka Robbie
Nick Beaumont reasures me that all the instructors had no hesitation in saying that I was trough to round three. However my nerves won't be settled until that letter of confirmation comes through my letterbox!!!
My nerves are now settled. The confirmation letter came through the post this morning!!!!!
Old 7 Nov 2001, 12:28 (Ref:171371)   #11
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sounds like there are some very experienced racers in the scholorship, which is why i didn't enter.
Good luck to you guys anyway
Old 7 Nov 2001, 13:32 (Ref:171403)   #12
Simon Pullan
Racer

Just got back from Blyton.

It went as smoothly as it could which was good, and I had a couple of unexpected surprises which was nice. Rob Jenkinson was instructing (I bought my current car off him. Anyone want a double championship winning Caterham Superlight? ) and Robert Huff was there as a punter. He was lightning in the Silverstone Zeus when I did my Jim Russell course in '99.

So it was a fun morning, despite the weather.

Last edited by Simon Pullan; 7 Nov 2001 at 13:34.
Old 7 Nov 2001, 16:59 (Ref:171498)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
well done on getting through to round three, aka Robbie. as for serious racing drivers only being there - didn't undertaker Drummond Low win the scholarship last year?

Last edited by touringlegend; 7 Nov 2001 at 17:01.
Old 7 Nov 2001, 17:19 (Ref:171513)   #14
Simon Pullan
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
well done on getting through to round three, aka Robbie. as for serious racing drivers only being there - didn't undertaker Drummond Low win the scholarship last year?
You're right. They are much more likely to take a newcomer that is quick, than one of us old codgers trying to grab a free drive.
Old 7 Nov 2001, 23:29 (Ref:171702)   #15
aka Robbie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Pullan
You're right. They are much more likely to take a newcomer that is quick, than one of us old codgers trying to grab a free drive.
So what have you done before?
Old 7 Nov 2001, 23:45 (Ref:171706)   #16
Simon Pullan
Racer

Just quickly.

8 years karting
1 year Locosts + selected Jim Russell FF1600
1 year Caterham Roadsports
this year Caterham Superlight Eurocup

and now I'm nearly 19.
Old 8 Nov 2001, 19:01 (Ref:172043)   #17
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon,

How come you're allowed to enter the competition?? What happens if you win it?? I just thought it was for total newcomers, I'm not having a go or anything, but just interested...

Glad to see something came of your season in Locosts, and that something has come of Locosts. An excellent concept, although i'm amazed how much second hand race cars go for. Was tempted to build one until reality struck!!
Old 8 Nov 2001, 19:12 (Ref:172051)   #18
Simon Pullan
Racer

Anyone's allowd to enter.

There are much more experianced people than me in it. Like FRenault racer Robert Huff.

And if I win, I get a free drive in a Renault Clio and hopefully win the championship.

The aim is to find a future talent, who may or may not already be racing. It's unfair that people should be discounted just because they've managed to cobble a few pennies together to do a season already.

Lo-costs is a great championship to start in. I would reckomend it for anyone trying to get into motorsport on a shoestring. Very close racing and a large spread of talent so you'll get a race no matter how good or bad you are.
Old 8 Nov 2001, 19:32 (Ref:172064)   #19
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Has this changed from last year, Simon ? I recall talking with the people behind the scholarship at the start of the season and one point they were keen to stress about it was that it's aim was to discover a new talent who was brand new to the sport of racing - such as Drummond Low.

Obviously to allow a contender for this year's McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver Award would go somewhat against this aim...?
Old 8 Nov 2001, 19:58 (Ref:172078)   #20
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know how Rob must be feeling doing the sholarship as I have known him for about 2 years now and won a couple of endurance championship at Daytona with him. Shame he couldn't complete the season in FRenault last year.

I did the original TSM Vauxhall Junior Scholarship way back in 1998 I think. Got to the final but spun as I had never driven a single seater before but I was just over a second quicker in the first two sectors than the eventual winner Tom Ferrier. Spun = DQ though

I also did the Clio Scholarship last year but didn't get to the final. Was disapointing as all my instructors said at Round 3 that I would definatly be going through but I didn't and thats that. Its a great idea though for what you get as a prize! Good luck to you Simon and to Rob Huff, and everyone taking part!
Old 18 Aug 2003, 08:42 (Ref:690897)   #21
tally-bally-ho
Rookie

tally-bally-ho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprise Surprise all the best drivers bar one eliminated before the final.