Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jun 2010, 08:34 (Ref:2706546)   #51
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Agree about the cars, as for tracks at least there are no Tilkedromes in Indy.

As for your preferring to watch a race void of spectators etc, why not get yourself a copy of rFactor and create your own series? If you feel so inclined you can even create your own tracks; problem solved.
And do either of you go to many club races at any of the circuits in UK ? Where the racing is better than both F1 and Le Mans? Or do you just go 'for the location' -forget the racing.

My suggestion would be go to a club meet at Cadwell Park or Oulton - better circuits you are not likely to find. Entry fee, about £15, great viewing, chance to walk round the pits, talk to the drivers, watch great racing. F1/Indy/LMP are not the only or best forms of racing you know.

With regard to S. Korea - spent some time there last year - they have a work ethic that would put Europeans/Americans to shame. Not sure about their motor racing interest though - although the guys I was working with were interested in pictures of my race car. Saw some kart tracks I think, and they have a lot of cars (because there are a lot of people in Korea)
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 09:21 (Ref:2706578)   #52
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
With regard to S. Korea - spent some time there last year - they have a work ethic that would put Europeans/Americans to shame. Not sure about their motor racing interest though - although the guys I was working with were interested in pictures of my race car. Saw some kart tracks I think, and they have a lot of cars (because there are a lot of people in Korea)
At the turn of the century, marshalled the Korean F3 Superprix with 20/30 other British marshals for four years (missed the first one). Drivers included Button, Hamilton and many other young "hot-shots". 4 or 5 local support races -- GT, saloons, single-seaters -- so there is experience

It was a street-circuit in Chongwan, near to Pusan (SE corner) and the majority of marshals were students shipped in from Seoul. As James says, they were all keen to learn and we had no problems with work attidude. If British marshals had been invited to assist at the GP (as in Abu Dhabi), I am sure there would have been no problem in getting the numbers required.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2706624)   #53
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And do either of you go to many club races at any of the circuits in UK ?
UK is a bit far from Australia, so no.

Quote:
Or do you just go 'for the location' -forget the racing.
Your kind of missing the point anyway. As I said earlier I watch most F1 races on TV (as you do by the sound of it) so the geographical location of the track and crowd at the circuit are of little importance to me. Its what's on the track that matters most.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2706842)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And do either of you go to many club races at any of the circuits in UK ? Where the racing is better than both F1 and Le Mans? Or do you just go 'for the location' -forget the racing.

My suggestion would be go to a club meet at Cadwell Park or Oulton - better circuits you are not likely to find. Entry fee, about £15, great viewing, chance to walk round the pits, talk to the drivers, watch great racing. F1/Indy/LMP are not the only or best forms of racing you know.

I go to Brands, which is my local track over here and Laguna Seca in California but I've not been to any club races this year, or any races for that matter, as my ankle got broken.

Though you are certainly free to make your point, it isn't really relative to the discussion I was having with dsg, which was about locations and race tracks pertaining to F1.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2708538)   #55
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Agree about the cars, as for tracks at least there are no Tilkedromes in Indy.
F1 Tilkodromes feel like the same, but IndyCar have this year four cookie-cutter 1.5-mile ovals, which have the very same layout.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2708559)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
F1 Tilkodromes feel like the same, but IndyCar have this year four cookie-cutter 1.5-mile ovals, which have the very same layout.
Indeed there are those cookie cutters but they are looking to bring more variety as far as tracks go next season. There's the Baltimore race and lots of talk with regards to returning to some of the tracks that were raced in the CART era, e.g. Cleveland.

However if they must run the cookie cutters I wish they spread them out more, rather than having a block of them, one after the other.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 23:44 (Ref:2708810)   #57
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

)
This is why I get so frustrated with F1 in particular!
It suck all the resources out of the rest of motor racing and then puts on such a POOR RACE!
Instead of being a motor racing show piece and encouraging people to watch and participate in local motor racing they take one look at the "big show" - GP and decide that motor racing is boring and not worth the effort!

This is what some other big formulae also do on a more local level.

Imagine what $1.2 billion dollars or whatever is invested in an asphalt parking lot would do for local motorsport. Then Indy car loses $27 mill in a year and is theoretically not viable - go figure!
Old 11 Jun 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2708917)   #58
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
$1.2bil would resurface every track and circuit car park/paddock for every track that needed it in the UK. With cash left over to improve spectator facilities. Probably even some left over to reduce track hire costs to get more people racing.

Is F1 killing motorsport?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 08:26 (Ref:2708938)   #59
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
$1.2bil would resurface every track and circuit car park/paddock for every track that needed it in the UK. With cash left over to improve spectator facilities. Probably even some left over to reduce track hire costs to get more people racing.

Scary thought!

All for the price of a Tilkedome!
Old 11 Jun 2010, 12:50 (Ref:2709142)   #60
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
F1 is certainly killing race tracks.

I lose count of the number of classic tracks that have been destroyed / redeveloped to cater for F1.

Recent victims; Fuji, Donnington, going further back...Imola, Osterriechring.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2709166)   #61
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh it's true. I mean what's next? It's very sad. I love seeing tracks develop, I don't think there's much wrong with that, but butchering is another thing.

Hockenheim is a crying shame. Was that done for F1?

Selby
Old 11 Jun 2010, 15:21 (Ref:2709233)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
F1 is certainly killing race tracks.

I lose count of the number of classic tracks that have been destroyed / redeveloped to cater for F1.

Recent victims; Fuji, Donnington, going further back...Imola, Osterriechring.
There's that new section at Silverstone but from what I've heard it works because they really thought it out, when designing it.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2709245)   #63
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We'll have to wait and see really - however that section was put together when they got the bike GP, rather than when they regained the car one.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2709313)   #64
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Hockenheim was a tragedy. I do like the current Imola and the A1-Ring.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2709409)   #65
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Hockemheim certainly was but I don't like A1-Ring, give me the Österrichring any day.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 06:58 (Ref:2709590)   #66
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as Silverstone has been kept nearly intact I wouldn't call that a butchering. Only club has been changed permanently and I've heard positive sounds from one driver at least.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 10:11 (Ref:2709661)   #67
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What I dont fully understand, is that we have all these massively safe tracks now, with acres of run off that look like a car park with painted white lines on it, yet the F1 circus turns up to Monaco or Montreal and can somehow turn a blind eye to the close barriers and zero run off in some sections...
Old 14 Jun 2010, 02:28 (Ref:2711609)   #68
MikeManNZ
Racer

MikeManNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If a replacement race run or not will come down to TV dollars and the contracts for such.

If CVC have to run 19 races under the TV contract they will have to run an additional race somewhere.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2711820)   #69
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a thought. The question is where ...
Old 14 Jun 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2711965)   #70
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Really? This is what the current A1 Ring looks like: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs26/f/20...y_sevenpix.jpg
Old 14 Jun 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2712020)   #71
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Really? This is what the current A1 Ring looks like: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs26/f/20...y_sevenpix.jpg
Oh No, Gillet has been their too.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2712070)   #72
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
What a mess.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2712072)   #73
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
I'm pretty sure Red Bull are in the process of rebuilding it to host DTM events.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2712485)   #74
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Did that get put on the shelves though? I'm sure I heard they ditched that idea.

It's definitely a shame. I always quite liked the A1 Ring too. It made for some great racing, and yes, although a complete shadow of its former, it was still entertaining and nice that they at least raced in the same area as the Osterreichring.

Saying this, would it not have been possible to use a corner or two of the Osterreichring and encorporate that in to the A1?

EDIT - Just checked out a map of the two. I didn't realise how much of the A1 used Osterreichring! They actually share some of the same tarmac.

Selby
Old 15 Jun 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2712528)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A1-Ring is in red: