Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Sep 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2764769)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If $100,000 can buy you 7 points, just what are the rules for the rest of the season?

Can anyone else use team orders now or is just the favoured team?

Do you have to pay $100,000?

No doubt the tifosi will say this is sour grapes, but it's a genuine question? Has there been any consensus on whether it's allowed for the rest of the season? Martin Whitmarsh and Christian Horner in a BBC interview yesterday seemed to not know.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2764778)   #2
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an interesting point I noticed during the race, where Alguersari was close to Buemi. Brundle said "If I were Torro Rosso I'd be asking Buemi to let his team mate through". OK, it didn't happen, but he wasn't even reminded of Hockenheim when he said it. You can guarantee nobody would have cared if Torro Rosso had used team orders.

So it's only the top teams that would have to pay up
Old 26 Sep 2010, 14:15 (Ref:2764779)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
No doubt the tifosi will say this is sour grapes,
I am not tifosi and I think it is pure sour grapes. Nothing else. Pure and simple.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2764790)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, you're wrong ralf fan. Only I know what I think. Or maybe you would know if you had read my posts. Or maybe you just don't believe what I say and are therefore calling me a liar.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2764799)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I understand your point however I was against the team order ban anyway so I am not particularly bothered.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 14:28 (Ref:2764804)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I'm not bothered you're not bothered but refrain from calling me a liar.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 14:29 (Ref:2764807)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
I don't see where I called you a liar?
Old 26 Sep 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2764808)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

You said it was sour grapes. I had already said that it wasn't.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2764893)   #9
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Girls! Girls! Put your handbags away.

Ralf Fan, please clarify for me. Do you think other teams should be allowed to apply team orders if they pay $100,000? Or should they be allowed to apply team orders for free. Or should no-one be allowed team orders? Or something else?
Old 26 Sep 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2764906)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

< Do myself and ralf fan really look like this? We probably do, but it's worth it to justify my point.

It's a fair question, i.e.

1. Are we to presume that a team order is applied and if spotted the team gets a $100,000 fine?
2. A line has been drawn under this and until such time as the rule is changed, a team and/or drivers will get a bigger punishment for doing it again?
3. It's now okay and you will get a lesser punishment?
4 and beyond. Any other permutations?
Old 26 Sep 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2764996)   #11
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
< Do myself and ralf fan really look like this? We probably do, but it's worth it to justify my point.

It's a fair question, i.e.

1. Are we to presume that a team order is applied and if spotted the team gets a $100,000 fine?
2. A line has been drawn under this and until such time as the rule is changed, a team and/or drivers will get a bigger punishment for doing it again?
3. It's now okay and you will get a lesser punishment?
4 and beyond. Any other permutations?
There is a fifth possibility: everyone including all the teams and the stewards know that it would be a PR disaster if this issue re-surfaces before the end of the season. The stewards will ignore it unless it is so blatant as to be embaressing and the teams will make very sure they do things reasonably discretely.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2765005)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Girls! Girls! Put your handbags away.

Ralf Fan, please clarify for me. Do you think other teams should be allowed to apply team orders if they pay $100,000? Or should they be allowed to apply team orders for free. Or should no-one be allowed team orders? Or something else?
I think all teams should be allowed to use team orders without fear of any punishment.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2765009)   #13
dgpearson
Rookie

England
kings newton nr Donington Park
dgpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If ur well in front in the championship u get a penelty if ur behind you get off
Old 27 Sep 2010, 08:58 (Ref:2765317)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh great, this again!
Old 27 Sep 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2765319)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's pretty clear that it's allowed, but you'll be fined $100,000 if it's for the lead (that's basically how i'd read it). Which is nothing, really.

Selby
Old 27 Sep 2010, 09:34 (Ref:2765345)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Oh great, this again!
It's a different question to one I've seen elsewhere and has been put in its own thread to avoid debates about the lack of merits (or merits) of team orders.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 10:11 (Ref:2765361)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Can anyone else use team orders now or is just the favoured team?

Do you have to pay $100,000?

No doubt the tifosi will say this is sour grapes, but it's a genuine question? Has there been any consensus on whether it's allowed for the rest of the season? Martin Whitmarsh and Christian Horner in a BBC interview yesterday seemed to not know.
Whichever side of the fence one sits on the team orders debate, this remains an unanswered question and exposes the FIA's total incompetence in trying to deal with the matter.

Edit: And no it isn't sour grapes - Ferrari need to know were they stand for the rest of the season just as much as the other leading teams. If Ferrari did it again, would it be another $100,000 or a more severe punishment for a second "offence"??
Old 27 Sep 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2765472)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Exactly, garcon. I know we sit at other ends of the opinion scale on this issue, but one does wonder what the situation is now. You raise a good point about Ferrari's present situation in this matter.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 23:10 (Ref:2767518)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
If the FIA was trying to please everyone they partially succeded..... but no one knows whetehr or not it is allowed, because they stuffed it up.

The regulation is still on the books so its still an offence..... which means another team could protest a rival.....
They should have been a little tougher on Ferrari, enforced their position that the rules are the rules, which would have shown some strength, then signalled a change at the end of the season. What we got was weakness, in spades.

Arguing that there was not enough clear evidence was just plain head in the sand stuff and in my opinion Todt failed the first real test of his leadership. Yes he was right to stay away from the decision making but he should have signalled to his lieutenants a more definitive outcome.

What happened was a mess and poorly handled.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 23:51 (Ref:2767533)   #20
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did penalize Ferrari tho, infact they gave them the hardest possible penalty (100k fine). Maybe they should have gone for a smaller penalty instead, say a stop and go penalty after the race was finished (25 second penalty). Altho who would receive it, Massa or Alonso. Probably Massa as he was the one doing the illegal stuff. Or possibly both
Old 1 Oct 2010, 00:06 (Ref:2767541)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
They did penalize Ferrari tho, infact they gave them the hardest possible penalty (100k fine). Maybe they should have gone for a smaller penalty instead, say a stop and go penalty after the race was finished (25 second penalty). Altho who would receive it, Massa or Alonso. Probably Massa as he was the one doing the illegal stuff. Or possibly both
I would have gone for a time penalty for Alonso as he ostensibly made the gain....but not as much as 25 second, say 10 seconds.....as well as the $100,000 (or $50 000 just for Alonso). That way if a team manager thought it was a gain to him he could have taken the risk and he'd know what the gap needed to be..... at any time in the remainder of the season....

Of course it could always back fire if the 'faster' driver didn't manage to make enough gap or the safety car came out.....
Now no one knows what the rule or the penalty could be....?
Old 1 Oct 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2767964)   #22
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
The financial penalty was a nonsense, and the FIA should have applied a sporting penalty. But what should that be? As the objective of breaking the rules was to improve Alonso's standing in the WDC, any sporting penalty should reverse that situation. BUT:
You can make a case for penalising Ferrari because they told Massa to move over
You can make a case for penalising Massa because he actioned the team orders
It's harder to make a case against Alonso because all he did was overtake a slow-moving car.
Now what's that nickname that everyone uses for Alonso?
Old 5 Oct 2010, 20:26 (Ref:2769953)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is only 7 points for $100k if you manage to get both your cars in 1-2! In old money it us to be free!

Finding a new way to say an outrage doesn't make it any different. Ferrari should be allowed to run their team how they want. However I agree, the fine is silly.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2769958)   #24
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
.... and wont this discussion liven up if Alonso were to win the WDC by less than 7 points!
Old 5 Oct 2010, 23:57 (Ref:2770045)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
The financial penalty was a nonsense, and the FIA should have applied a sporting penalty. But what should that be? As the objective of breaking the rules was to improve Alonso's standing in the WDC, any sporting penalty should reverse that situation. BUT:
You can make a case for penalising Ferrari because they told Massa to move over
You can make a case for penalising Massa because he actioned the team orders
It's harder to make a case against Alonso because all he did was overtake a slow-moving car.
Now what's that nickname that everyone uses for Alonso?
Don't agree.
The team gave an order against the regulations to penalise a driver (Massa)and benefit another driver (Alonso).
From the conversations its ludicrous to suggest Alonso is an innocent party in all this.