Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 May 2017, 00:06 (Ref:3730649)   #351
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're more likely to see an agt endurance round in Newcastle than we are a Formula E race
Old 3 May 2017, 05:22 (Ref:3730671)   #352
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The irony of Formula E running in the coal city of Newcastle....
Old 3 May 2017, 05:53 (Ref:3730674)   #353
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2244 View Post
We're more likely to see an agt endurance round in Newcastle than we are a Formula E race
At one point you were more likely to see an AGT Endurance round in Newcastle than a Supercars race
Old 3 May 2017, 05:55 (Ref:3730677)   #354
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
At one point you were more likely to see an AGT Endurance round in Newcastle than a Supercars race
highly doubtful
Old 3 May 2017, 05:59 (Ref:3730678)   #355
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
highly doubtful
Not doubtful at all. Not that i'm saying a GT Enduro would have happened though.

A few years ago Supercars wouldn't have looked twice at any proposal for a street race in Newcastle, it is hardly a place they were targeting to have an event, especially to end the season....
Old 3 May 2017, 06:03 (Ref:3730680)   #356
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Not doubtful at all. Not that i'm saying a GT Enduro would have happened though.

A few years ago Supercars wouldn't have looked twice at any proposal for a street race in Newcastle, it is hardly a place they were targeting to have an event, especially to end the season....
POLL: Newcastle V8 Supercar round 31 July 2013

Quote:
t is not the first time Newcastle has been linked to a V8 Supercar race or a new track development.

Plans for a street circuit using Wharf Road, Shortland Esplanade and Scott and Hunter streets were drawn up by local enthusiasts some 15 years ago.
Old 3 May 2017, 06:12 (Ref:3730685)   #357
one five five
Veteran

And?
Old 3 May 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3730694)   #358
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
The irony of Formula E running in the coal city of Newcastle....
Are you suggesting Newcastle isn't progressive and open to clean energy alternatives?
Old 3 May 2017, 07:26 (Ref:3730696)   #359
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
And?
Clearly it was being looked at a few years ago
Old 3 May 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3730699)   #360
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Clearly it was being looked at a few years ago
What, 2013? When the Sydney 500 was up for a contract renewal and Supercars were still wanting to get that event working? Seems like a good time to air thoughts on a counter proposal from another NSW event.

Or the proposal from 15 years earlier that is mentioned in the article? A proposal that never happened....abit like how you or me could propose a street race in Broken Hill tomorrow, it's proposed but it doesn't mean its taken seriously.

Bottom line is that when Homebush got cancelled, Supercars set their sights on Gosford, and when that didn't happen, they went for Newcastle.... third choice by the looks, and not where Supercars would have imagined itself a few years back, or wanted to end their season there, considering they consider themselves to be in the Top 5 of major Australian sports
Old 3 May 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3730701)   #361
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
What, 2013? When the Sydney 500 was up for a contract renewal and Supercars were still wanting to get that event working? Seems like a good time to air thoughts on a counter proposal from another NSW event.

Or the proposal from 15 years earlier that is mentioned in the article? A proposal that never happened....abit like how you or me could propose a street race in Broken Hill tomorrow, it's proposed but it doesn't mean its taken seriously.

Bottom line is that when Homebush got cancelled, Supercars set their sights on Gosford, and when that didn't happen, they went for Newcastle.... third choice by the looks, and not where Supercars would have imagined itself a few years back, or wanted to end their season there, considering they consider themselves to be in the Top 5 of major Australian sports
Ive provided evidence, you've provided opinion
Old 3 May 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3730702)   #362
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Are you suggesting Newcastle isn't progressive and open to clean energy alternatives?
I'm saying it has a history founded on the production/mining and transport of coal: the Antichrist to all things Formula E.
Old 3 May 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3730724)   #363
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I'm saying it has a history founded on the production/mining and transport of coal: the Antichrist to all things Formula E.
He has a point it looks like an oxymoron holding a clean energy based race in the hub of the mining industry
Old 4 May 2017, 04:39 (Ref:3730896)   #364
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ive provided evidence, you've provided opinion
Evidence that a poll was held 4 years ago, someone fantasised about a track 19 years ago, and that Wayne Russell thought Warbs' comments was "****ing in the wind".

Hardly something worthy of "I rest my case your honour, and request the prosecutions scurrilous allegations be thrown out"
Old 4 May 2017, 05:08 (Ref:3730900)   #365
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Evidence that a poll was held 4 years ago, someone fantasised about a track 19 years ago, and that Wayne Russell thought Warbs' comments was "****ing in the wind".

Hardly something worthy of "I rest my case your honour, and request the prosecutions scurrilous allegations be thrown out"
Actually it did. The idea of a Newcastle race is not something new which is what the unsupported speculation suggested

Got any opinion yourself, or do you just want to troll me and ignore the poster who made the commentt
Old 4 May 2017, 06:55 (Ref:3730915)   #366
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Actually it did. The idea of a Newcastle race is not something new which is what the unsupported speculation suggested
I never said a Newcastle race was never proposed before or was anything new, all I ever said was that Supercars a few years back would never have seen itself racing, and especially ending their season, at a place like Newcastle
Old 5 May 2017, 04:02 (Ref:3731119)   #367
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Actually it did.
Did what?

Quote:
The idea of a Newcastle race is not something new which is what the unsupported speculation suggested
Sorry forgot about the semantics. My apologies.

Quote:
Got any opinion yourself, or do you just want to troll me and ignore the poster who made the commentt
I don't have any issue with that particular comment, so why would I question it?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 02:29 (Ref:3770210)   #368
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
'We essentially live inside a racetrack'

Supercars noise study 'like putting lipstick on a pig'

Quote:
Mitigation measures suggested in the plan, that the Herald revealed on Monday, range from two metre high curtains to reduce sound, hearing protection for residents and encouraging people to either move to the back of their homes or leave during some of the peak noise period.

Last edited by mayhem; 28 Sep 2017 at 02:38.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 02:39 (Ref:3770211)   #369
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, a racetrack that gets used for 4 days of the 6 weeks a year it exists...
Old 28 Sep 2017, 02:42 (Ref:3770212)   #370
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
If it's me, I wouldn't care if Supercars ran through my loungeroom as long as I had good seats, but trying to place myself in someones shoes who doesn't like car racing, well, bugger that...

How would Supercars go if a local resident claims they are having a family reunion that weekend and will require 100 wristbands for friends and family...?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 07:36 (Ref:3770236)   #371
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like there could be some legal activity post event coming.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 07:40 (Ref:3770238)   #372
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Sounds like there could be some legal activity post event coming.
Guess it will depend on the reality of actual noise during the event (rather than the simulations so far). Parts of the article certainly read like lining up for compensation post event.

Save Albert Park group are still around - wonder how many claims for compensation came out of the reality of running the GP there?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 07:49 (Ref:3770239)   #373
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Guess it will depend on the reality of actual noise during the event (rather than the simulations so far). Parts of the article certainly read like lining up for compensation post event.
I think compensation would only be part of it.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3770240)   #374
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think compensation would only be part of it.
Possibly - will depend on reality though won't it?

Right now the residents have had months of works around them, as the council pulled forward something like 5 or 6 years of planned works and did the lot in one hit. Once it's all done (before the supercar event) then it's done. Same with the works through park areas, they are still work areas but as it's all finished, the end result will be visible for the first time.

Same for the various claims some residents are making about problems they'll have from the event. Once the event has been run, it'll become clear whether or not those claims are accurate.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 08:44 (Ref:3770248)   #375
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Possibly - will depend on reality though won't it?
Reality will be key Tourer, and it could be telling to the future of the event.

We have seen the effects local residences have had on motor racing, live music and public establishments before.