Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Oct 2017, 04:31 (Ref:3777675)   #401
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Community at odds with race promoter
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50...ort-confusion/
I don't see it as a huge issue, assuming that it is a one-off.

I've been caught out in the past, where the teachers at the public school my daughter goes, called a stop-work meeting with less than a week's notice. You figure it out, suffer a little, and get over it.
Old 31 Oct 2017, 05:44 (Ref:3777689)   #402
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
so then, the truth is, you should have said, small part of community raises concerns with promoter, council and local member

Much more minor than your trolling attempt
Schools are minor parts of communities?
Old 31 Oct 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3777706)   #403
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the above video, this seems to be a very disruptive circuit to the community, especially compared to Townsville and Adelaide.
Old 31 Oct 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3777719)   #404
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyinsthoz View Post
Looking at the above video, this seems to be a very disruptive circuit to the community, especially compared to Townsville and Adelaide.
Newcastle is arguably not a master-planned town. There are old buildings and new ones all over the place, some rebuilt after the earthquake, others opportunistic along the sea shore.

When the 150,000 people show up across the 3 days, all won’t necessarily be forgiven, but context will have been drawn. Party atmosphere will lift the place. Having the championship still unresolved will be great for the event...

We shall see..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Oct 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3777734)   #405
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
When the 150,000 people show up across the 3 days, all won’t necessarily be forgiven, but context will have been drawn. Party atmosphere will lift the place. Having the championship still unresolved will be great for the event...

We shall see..
For example - like Homebush. That party atmosphere had a lasting legacy
Old 31 Oct 2017, 10:27 (Ref:3777735)   #406
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
For example - like Homebush. That party atmosphere had a lasting legacy
It was fine... until they took the event away...
Old 31 Oct 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3777736)   #407
Beages
Rookie

Beages should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coming from someone that lives in Newcastle I'm pretty sure Its going to be a pain getting there and getting out. They will learn what works and what doesn't. But I can assure you that the whingers (oxygen thieves) are very much the minority. The Newcastle Herald gives these morons a story a week to create drama and sell papers. Newcastle people are generally hyped for the event.
Old 31 Oct 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3777738)   #408
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Im just waiting for this page to be updated

Transport & Parking
Old 31 Oct 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3777743)   #409
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It was fine... until they took the event away...
So you got to think why did they take the event away? It's almost like the negatives of the event outweighed any positives.

And how has Homebush survived without the event?
Old 31 Oct 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3777748)   #410
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
So you got to think why did they take the event away? It's almost like the negatives of the event outweighed any positives.

And how has Homebush survived without the event?
No relevance in a thread about Newcastle
Old 31 Oct 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3777840)   #411
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
No relevance in a thread about Newcastle
Upset locals, impact of road closures/traffic congestion on residents & businesses.

Promises of party like atmoshere & v8sc making the city great again.

It has more relevant than you want to admit GTR

Last edited by D.R.T.; 31 Oct 2017 at 22:17.
Old 31 Oct 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3777846)   #412
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Upset locals, impact of road closures/traffic congestion on residents & businesses.

Quick i shall talk about Adelaide and Gold Coast and how awesome they are, just as relevant. Except they are not relevant
Old 1 Nov 2017, 00:02 (Ref:3777855)   #413
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I will point out that, even just looking at the basic track layout, this course stands out much more than either Hamilton or Homebush. And usually, those oddities in the layout stem from there being reasons that the roads had to be laid out like that to begin with. And those reasons often give you more with which to recommend the circuit and event.

Monaco, Melbourne, and Montreal aren't your typical non-permanent racing venues. They probably wouldn't still be around if the courses were as conventional as Detroit (1982-91) or Phoenix (1989-91), or as monotonous as Caesar's Palace (1981-82) or Fair Park (1984).
Old 1 Nov 2017, 00:12 (Ref:3777856)   #414
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

What part of Homebush being off topic don’t you understand?
It’s gone. It’s not coming back. That fact clearly still makes you joyous.
But isn’t relevant to the disvussion here.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 00:13 (Ref:3777857)   #415
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I will point out that, even just looking at the basic track layout, this course stands out much more than either Hamilton or Homebush. And usually, those oddities in the layout stem from there being reasons that the roads had to be laid out like that to begin with. And those reasons often give you more with which to recommend the circuit and event.

Monaco, Melbourne, and Montreal aren't your typical non-permanent racing venues. They probably wouldn't still be around if the courses were as conventional as Detroit (1982-91) or Phoenix (1989-91), or as monotonous as Caesar's Palace (1981-82) or Fair Park (1984).
From the image with Aaren Russell, the part where he is standing, the circuit looks narrow....
Old 1 Nov 2017, 00:37 (Ref:3777858)   #416
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
'Canberra narrow'?
Old 1 Nov 2017, 00:47 (Ref:3777859)   #417
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just found a drone lap of the track. Lots to take in, but there seems to be huge fluctuation in the width of the track like Homeb...Hom...Ho....

See it here: https://youtu.be/4D6R52s5I1Y
Old 1 Nov 2017, 00:51 (Ref:3777862)   #418
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It looks like it's about three road lanes wide from wall to wall, which isn't that unusual for a street circuit, really.

Seeing the latest flyover video, I'm glad that there is as much space as there is on the outside of Turn 1. Also, the exit of T1 appears to be wider than the entry, which is a good thing.

I'm still wondering just how quick Turns 3-5 (or 3-6) will be, and the same for that meandering run down to the hairpin (Turn 10 they call it). Main place for trouble with a bunched field might be Turn 2, actually. We'll see.

Mayhem beat me to the punch on the video.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 02:08 (Ref:3777871)   #419
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
'Canberra narrow'?

2 cars wide, funnelling into one..
Old 1 Nov 2017, 02:19 (Ref:3777874)   #420
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon 3 would fit.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 02:30 (Ref:3777880)   #421
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Is he standing at Turn 1 there?
Old 1 Nov 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3778029)   #422
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I think he's standing at the end of the straight a little before the turn-in for T1.

If they leave T1 as-is, following the profile of the inside curb there, it won't be an ultra-slow turn; it will be still a significant braking zone for these cars, but the compression and likelihood of a pile-up will be lower than if it was a tighter corner.

About the width, like I said, it looks to be about three road lanes there past start/finish. The front stretch at Surfers Paradise is basically three lanes. The back side of Surfers Paradise looks rather like this, with two full lanes marked in the middle and a partial lane on either side before the walls. And here, you don't have all those kinks in the "straight" like at Surfers, nor do you have that chicane mucking things up.

I think it'll be alright.

And it's not like a stalled car on the grid here is going to be any worse than one at Surfers, Barbagallo, Pukekohe, Symmons Plains, or Bathurst.