Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Dec 2004, 23:53 (Ref:1179626)   #1
v8race1
Racer

v8race1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
newcastle race precinct

can anybody inform us on what is happening with the new race complex near williamston??? I figure this would be the ideal replacement seeing that oran park is closing, otherwise I would fully support another street race around the newcastle foreshore/beachfront. I would think that an event held there would be fully backed and in years overshadow indy knowing the novocastrions love for motorsport.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 00:35 (Ref:1179653)   #2
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hopefully i will be working in williamstown in about 3 years, so ill be all for it! just dont expect the gov to had over some RAAF land!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 01:13 (Ref:1179671)   #3
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WHAAAT???

A Civllian not expecting the handing over of more crown land???

In Newcastle alone in the past 10 years, we've handed over Gan Gan, Fort Wallace, the old 8CER base at Waratah, and NEARLY lost a large chunk of Adamstown....

Seriously, a race around the bay area would be awesome! Might even finally forcce the upgrade of Nelson Bay Road.....

The only other option around here for a permanant circuit would be some of the masses of land in Maitland, Raymond Terrace or West Wallsend....

As good as the street idea sounds, unlike the Gold Coast, where there's multiple CBD's and lots of pedestrian access for the circuit, the CBD in newcastle would almost certainly be crippled.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 01:15 (Ref:1179672)   #4
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would the Government have to lose by it though ?

The Government/Local Goverment could buy land, or use land it already has.

It would mean that there would be a smaller capital outlay if the existing land was already used.

Im sure an RAAF base would have roads already layed down, so it would simply be a matter of adding some gravel here, a barrier or two there... and hey presto... racetrack !
Old 15 Dec 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1179673)   #5
v8race1
Racer

from what I understand the fight still goes on with the residents of the area about the noise In relation to the base and the new raceway. This being the case, resisturban you may need in three years to pick a new posting, maybe amberly which is right beside QR.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 01:25 (Ref:1179678)   #6
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Noise issues aside, thats not half a bad idea........

Using some of the existing taxiways, if using a weekend when the majority of jet's are on exercise, that could have some practical merit. It works for Champcar at Mid Ohio (i think it's Mid Ohio).

Only problems will be the shared runways with the commercial airport. Not being a RAAFie, I'm unsure fo the extent of the sharing. I do know that the blast walls in the bomb loading area are visible from the airport and dogs compound, to let you all in on how close they are, though.

Whats happening with the old Motordrome??? Maybe biuld up a cicuit/drag/dirt track out at Tomago - there's no one to annoy out there!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 01:33 (Ref:1179680)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
I once drew up a circuit design for newcastle..

Quite an interesting layout.

It involves the areas of Newcastle known as "East Newcastle" and "The Hill"

The start finish line is on King St.

Turn 1 is a left hand 90deg into Watt St.

Turn 2 is a right hand 90deg into Scott St

Turn 3 is a tight Right hander onto the Shortland Esplanade.

Turn 4 is the kink in the Shortland Esplanade (Ocean St)

The track follows the Esplanade up the Hill. Through all the twists and turns.

It exits the Hill Precinct on York Drive

A tight hairpin into the Terrace to head north again.

A Quick chicane leads from the Terrace into Wolfe St.

The final turn is a right hander onto King St for the S/F

Any thoughts on the layout ?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 01:42 (Ref:1179683)   #8
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, here's the latest (as far as I can tell): The proposed race track complex (circuit, drag strip and speedway) was knocked back by Port Stephens Council and others on 18 points of contention (I won't bore you with the details) but to do with traffic management on the Pacific Highway, pollution run-off into Grahamstown Dam and noise.
Peter Lee, the developer, has tried to meet council individually on these issues but recently announced he would take PSC to the Land and Environment Court, most likely sometime next year.
In the meantime, speedway types are looking for another location for a track to replace the Tomago facility sold-off by owner David lander about two years ago. They have looked at locations near Cessnock and also at Williamtown near the airport.
The former Newcastle Speedway will never be revived in its present location. It is currently a collection of warehouses and small businesses and is still under development.
Ironically, a friend of mine who used to race litre cars now works for Komatsu. His office is about where he used to set-up in the old pit area and if he goes upstairs he can look over what remains of the track.
As for a street race in Newcastle, believe me when I say it won't happen. Our council couldn't organise a chook raffle in a pub on Friday night so trying to get their heads around a car race meeting would be totally impossible.
A couple of weeks back a local promoter was full-on with plans to run Super Moto in EnergyAustralia Stadium car park. Council shut him down two days before it was due to happen. Their technicality cost this bloke somewhere between $20,000 and $50,000.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 01:50 (Ref:1179685)   #9
v8race1
Racer

from what Ive heard the "drome" is dead never to be revived, as a new track was supposed to be included in the draft plan for the new complex which also featured a dragstrip. The raaf base which incorporates the civillian airstrip is a definate non event;too little room, too many whingers, and zilch facilities to speak of. I would of thought the new foreshore incorperating king st and nobby;s would be an excellent start for a track.
st/finish line being on the forshore, last turn being nobby;s beachhouse, mid straight being part of king st.
shall look over x-mas when there!!!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 01:54 (Ref:1179687)   #10
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Why are councils against making 20 million for their cities ?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 02:26 (Ref:1179691)   #11
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud1
resisturban you may need in three years to pick a new posting, maybe amberly which is right beside QR.

more like RAAF Tindal near Darwin.

There are only two bases in Australia where the F/A-18's are run from, Williamstown and Tindal, and the latter only has a handful of them!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 02:53 (Ref:1179700)   #12
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Awww, whats wrong with the Hawks??? *giggles and awaits slap*

Jason, that track sounds really good - remembering a few "slightly illegal" runs my mates used to do in their VL's around that similar lay out (Long version, groung around Strezlecki and back down), that would have been a good track, but we all know it'll never happen. Over 3 days, that would simply cripple town, unless a few underpasses/overpasses were made.

Maybe one mattara we can lobby to have the hill climbers do a few laps of that?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 06:23 (Ref:1179748)   #13
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hunter Street Straight = terminal velocity!!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 06:24 (Ref:1179749)   #14
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
I think a street circuit that could incorporate "The Hill" Area would be fantastic.

It just needs to be designed in a manner that both 'showcases' newcastle, and offers minimal disruption to its inhabitants.

This is the reason why both Adelaide and Albert Park are so successful.

Albert Park is completely contained inside parkland in Melbourne.

Adelaide is on the fringe of the CBD and half in Parkland as well.

An ideal street circuit is close enough to a CBD that people will want to go there, but not that close that it disrupts daily activity.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 09:25 (Ref:1179815)   #15
moses
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
moses should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that any sort of race in any of Newcastle's council areas is being a bit optimistic, NCC has taken two and a half years just to decide what to do with a rock that fell onto the road (albeit 20 tonnes worth), PSC has too much infighting with the rest having their heads stuck up their proverbials, and LMCC would take six years to consider it, would put it up for public opinion for another three then take two more years to carry out an environmental impact study, say yes to the proposal, than postpone it because a councilors brothers, uncles, neighbors wife was a cleaner for the company that submitted the application.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 09:37 (Ref:1179819)   #16
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always thought that a street circuit in Newcastle has been an impossible dream since it was knocked on the head some 10 years ago by council.

In my opinion the easiest place to set it up would be around the ISC precinct.

Start Finish and pits in ISC carpark and Hockey centre. Block only half of turton road (allows traffic) head south, temp grandstands along the hockey centre. left onto half of Lambton road. little complex section down perth road (behind maccas and lexus) more stands and pit area for support on district park. back out ont lamton road.

Left at the Tennis centre down Curley road left at Denny and quick right down australia road and another quick left into broadmeadow road. Wave to my nan and then left down griffiths road again only blocking half before a sweeping left (any time with care) back onto turton road.

The punters can keep happy with a go at go karts go and maybe a stadium cross in the ISC at night. it is the "sports" district of newcastle with plenty of open space and room for grandtsands without stopping traffic.

Now if I only had 9 Mill for track setup and another few for appearance money we could be in business..........
Old 15 Dec 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1179833)   #17
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ross Cadell - Lord Mayor of Newcastle, Street Race Approver.....!

Dreams are free, reality costs a motsa!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 11:12 (Ref:1179884)   #18
v8race1
Racer

well done ross, never even thought of that area!!! ross for mayor i say
resisturban: been to the dust bowl at tindal too too many times to care!!
I still wonder though if not newcastle, what other curcuits/locations may be a viable proposition???
Old 15 Dec 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1179893)   #19
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Ross, thats genius!

Still get access to Lambton, Waratah, Broadmeadow and Hamilton without any major fuss! And, it'd be a plain Jayne set out, but it would be seriously fast!

Perhaps if we got on the Herald's case, the power and push of the local media would gather some attention.....
Old 15 Dec 2004, 20:02 (Ref:1180477)   #20
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
.....as long as that twack, Brian Rudman, doesn't have a brother who writes for the paper in NSW.....he'd wreck it, because he hates change and anyone else having fun.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1180598)   #21
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
Ross (the new Lord Mayor of Newcastle) should use his considerable influence to contact some bloke at the Newcastle Herald and get things moving!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 00:58 (Ref:1180672)   #22
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
Ross, I looked at your plan this morning and would suggest you go alittle further with it. I'd avoid the Griffith Rd section, crossing over it and continuing on Broadmeadow Rd, across Christo Rd onto Georgetown Rd before hanging a hard left (not quite the Symmons Plains hairpin but still pretty good) back onto Turton Rd.
Doing that run almost doubles the track length and chucks-in a couple of good, long, flat-out straights.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 01:21 (Ref:1180687)   #23
Ross Cadell
Racer

Mr Pony,

That would make one hell of a straight, roaring over that hill then down past the stadium. Bathurst Diffs for sure, that would be about 1.87 Km long straight,with a tight left hander at the end. A few of the boys would end up half way to Garden City (Wetsfield Kotara) I am sure.

Another bit that needs a hand is the storm water drain at the runoff from Australia Road. You could go right around the police boys club and then join broadmeadow road at the railway line.

I guess I was just avoiding going right in front of my nans so i could park in her driveway. Also her and her neigbours would undoubtably give me hell no matter what so why not rip down past the houses.

Anyhow all in dreamland as i think I am only around 12-13 mill short of the 11-12 mill it woudl cost to run.

It may be urban myth but I am sure that leigh maughan had the cash backing and details to run a race many moons ago (mid 90's) but got knocked back by council i think McNaughton was mayor (in this version anyway). There was also a petition started by some people a few years ago but i dont know what happened to it. If the port Stephens Complex goes ahead I would personally try to fund a Konica round at the track.

I offered to lobby the Gov for some extra funding to improve the planned facilities so a round may be considered (at no cost) but was never taken up on the offer.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 01:27 (Ref:1180694)   #24
Just Do It!
Veteran

That's determination if ever there was!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 02:05 (Ref:1180704)   #25
Ross Cadell
Racer

From an entirely mercenary point of view JDI, I think I could make a buck even with Konica as this place is mad for V8's.

The Hunter is probably best descibed as a White Anglo-saxon/Celtic socially conservative blue collar society. We represent the old schools foundation demographic that this series is built upon. Generally speaking we love out cars, we love our sport and we participate.

From my one day of real work a year in a business mum and dad have up at Singleton to my lazy Wednesday jaunts down to Garden City in Kotara to pick up the "Hot Sheets" (AA & MN) there is more HRT/SBR/FPR gear worn as everyday wear per capita than anywhere else in Aus I have been. (With the exception of the dude in the tatty FPR roundneck drinking Moet at the summit restaurant in Brissy last week. Spun me out that!)

This place is the the home of True Blue and Royal Red motorsport fans who can argue the merits of Cleveland versus Windsor and A9X v L34. Steve and Adrian at Klosters get over 5000 people to a bloody interview and autograph session with the Ford drivers every two years. That says something about the support in this town.

Would a street event in the Hunter be like Indy or Melbourne or even Clipsal. No. It wouldn't.

This would not be a glamour event. It would be a true Motorsport fans event in the spirit of Bathurst (no blasphemy intended) attended by punters that love the smell of exhaust fumes in the morning, believe the roar of a V8 is better than any melody and the sight of a supercar in flight more sexy than a supermodel.

After the days running Wests Leagues would be inundated by potential inhebriates looking to win their fortune on the pokies or even the upstairs horsey gamey thingy (that rocks!) and then walk out the doors as the sun rose, just in time to nude up and run through the sprinklers at harker oval as a shower and re suit up for another day at the track.

Fathers would not point at a car and say look son a broom broom. But rather discuss the ride height, set up and what times each car could do down Kooragang (in a controlled and safe environment of course!) because thats just how into it we are in this region.

I am aware of at least 12 guys (in 1's and 2's) that have attended over 7 rounds each year for the last two years all around australia (just for fun) because like many of us here they are nutters (but they obviously have spare wedge)

Will we ever see it. I doubt it ! but other than the skinny dip run through sprinklers it does make a pretty dream.