Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 11 Jan 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1198123)   #1
Espen
Rookie

Norway
Bergen, Norway
Espen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track near Newcastle?

Hello, I've been watching your very nice forum for a while, and I have a question. Could someone help me with some info on tracks taht are within reasonable distance from Newcastle?

Thanks
Old 11 Jan 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1198145)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
The nearest circuit to Newcastle is Croft - about 40 miles. After that, it's something like a two to three hours' drive to Knockhill, Oulton Park or Cadwell Park.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1198147)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about that circuit at Middlesbrough - a kart circuit that I think was extended for car testing. Do they have track days there?
Old 11 Jan 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1198149)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe they do, I'm sure I've seen it advertised.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1198156)   #5
Espen
Rookie

Norway
Bergen, Norway
Wow, that was quick. Thank you!

Were thinking of going there for a track day, Croft looks pretty nice.

Edit: the track at Middlesbrough sounds interesting, anyone have any more info?

Last edited by Espen; 11 Jan 2005 at 14:39.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1198161)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Teeside Autodrome its called
Old 11 Jan 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1198165)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.teessidekarting.co.uk/index.html may be worth a look.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1198219)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.teessideautodrome.co.uk/
Old 11 Jan 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1198224)   #9
Espen
Rookie

Norway
Bergen, Norway
Again, thank you. Friendly people!
Old 11 Jan 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1198286)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I correct in thinking that you intend coming to the UK on the Ferry - hence the interest in tracks near Newcastle? If so, what about trying Knockhill in Scotland - It might be "doable". Alternatively how about taking a low cost airline flight and hiring a car !!!! Hertz/ Avis/ Eurocar will never know!!
Old 11 Jan 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1198321)   #11
Espen
Rookie

Norway
Bergen, Norway
Andy, you are not that far off, no

We're looking to bring a bunch of friends along. Last time we had 25 cars along, this time easy double that. Hence plane and rentals a bit impractical.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1198388)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Can you take a rental car to a track day?
Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1198399)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Can you take a rental car to a track day?
Nobody would ever do that, would they................
Old 11 Jan 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1198498)   #14
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Espen... 25 cars from different places coming to Newcastle?? Sounds supiciously like a 7 owners club meeting. For smaller cars like that if the drivers haven't been on the track before then Teeside is a good bet. My mate tried it in his Caterham and said that it was fun, but not for the serious track driver... too small. Croft, on the other hand, is only for the brave of heart. Awesome track! One of my favourites
Old 12 Jan 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1198635)   #15
Espen
Rookie

Norway
Bergen, Norway
Thank you dtype, very useful input. I really should'nt say too much I guess, because this is such a good idea someone is bound to copy us. But Bergen is so far away from the nearest track that Newcastle is actually relatively close. At least I know I'd rather have a beer aboard than ride a modified car for ten hours straight at 50 mph

We are going to be assembling a group of friends and aquaintances with a bunch of rather nice cars - last time there were cars like 996, Impreza turbos, Opel Speedesters, Mitsu evo, BMW M3 CSL, Skyline GTR, Delta Integrale and so on. We try to make fun meets where drivers get to drive and ride as much as possible, so a fun track would certainly add to the experience
Old 12 Jan 2005, 09:21 (Ref:1198784)   #16
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espen
last time there were cars like 996, Impreza turbos, Opel Speedesters, Mitsu evo, BMW M3 CSL, Skyline GTR, Delta Integrale and so on.
With cars that quick I'd definitely suggest Croft. It's very near Darlington not far off the A1 about 40mls south of Newcastle. It's a big, mostly quite wide track and will be much more suited to things like a 996, M3 or Skyline. Why not check it out at www.croftcircuit.co.uk
Old 12 Jan 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1198816)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Yes Teeside is tight...

but It should stil be fun - why not do both?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1198870)   #18
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Security at circuit

Espen, check with the people at Teeside Autodrome about secure parking. They were having a lot of trouble with items being stolen from cars.

Croft do run track days and for some reason have it in mind that there is one at Easter (Friday 25th March to 27th). If there is stay over for the Easter Monday sprint meeting at the circuit!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1199060)   #19
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've raced at Croft - excellent circuit - fast - challenging - not too short - I guess for you its like lots of Brits going to do track days in France
Old 12 Jan 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1199107)   #20
Espen
Rookie

Norway
Bergen, Norway
Thank you again for your helpful input. We've decided to postpone till september, as there are a lot of track days and motorsport events here in may. Croft sounds nice, Teeside has a very helpful attitude and quite reasonable prices. And we've still to contact other tracks that have been mentioned here.

Teeside has some Seat Leons and Mini Coopers that were quite reasonable to rent, Croft offers a four car experience, but frankly we'll be bringing along far more interresting cars ourselves so it's not that interresting.

Of course, we'd like to try one of the great experience programs that are offered elsewhere featuring some real exotic machinery. However noone seem to offer this at Croft. Does anyone know if such packages are available at Knockhill, Oulton Park or Cadwell Park? There are som many companies to contact, and som many tracks to look up... although of course it is a luxury problem!

Whatever we end up doing, I think I'll be visiting this forum regularly. God athmosphere in here
Old 12 Jan 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1199429)   #21
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
God athmosphere in here
Not quite sure we rank quite that highly, but I think we know what you mean.

As for "track days" and "track experience days"... these two things are very different in the UK. I'm not sure if we have the wrong idea of what you want, but a track day is where you bring your own car and drive it on the track for the day. Usually they are arranged in sessions based on level of experience and type of car and range from £100-£250 for a day which normally would give you around 2 hours of on-track time. Most tracks also offer half days for £80-£180. If, however, you were thinking of leaving your car in the carpark and going on track, that's a completely different thing. There are all sorts of companies offering anything from a fast couple of laps around a track with someone else driving from £30 a pop, to a full day of professional tuition at well over £1000 a time.

I'd thought you wanted a track day, but your last email sounds more like you want a "tack experience". If that's the case then try something like www.buyagift.co.uk and look in the driving section.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1199473)   #22
Espen
Rookie

Norway
Bergen, Norway
dtype, we are looking into various ideas. One being to arrange a track day one day, and an "experience" day next day.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1209785)   #23
buster bram
Rookie

buster bram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
dtype, we are looking into various ideas. One being to arrange a track day one day, and an "experience" day next day.
try www.tracksport.co.uk went with them sat great lads then can sort out a package at oulton park or any other circuit open pit lane for mat see there site ask for craig or graeme
Old 27 Jan 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1211392)   #24
Espen
Rookie

Norway
Bergen, Norway
Thanks for the heads up
Old 4 Feb 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1217364)   #25
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Espen. I can highly reccomend Croft, done my first couple of track days there in my mark II mexico. Great fun, but I am biast as its my local circuit and I marshal there all the time. PM me and let me know when you have definite plans as I'll come down and say hello, might even marshal it if the circuit staff need a hand.

Good luck with your plans. Regards Grahame