Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Jun 2003, 04:31 (Ref:641033)   #1
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8Supercars on the Thunderdome?

I'm not sure if this has been discussed on this forum before, but has anyone (including AVESCO) ever looked into the option of running the V8Supercars on the thunderdome?

I know people will jump up and down, saying the cars aren't designed for oval racing, that it's too dangerous, or that calder park needs alot of work.

Look at the bigger picture.

Seeing V8 Supercars on the thunderdome would be a spectacle in itself, a saturday night qualifying system under lights and a long distance race on the sunday would be ideal during summer, it could help bring back other types of stockcar racing to the dome, turning it into an oval racing festival.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thunderdome doesn't appear to have many (if any) races on it anymore.

It would most definitely take V8Supercars to new heights, it could only be a win/win situation.

What are your thoughts?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 04:43 (Ref:641037)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wouldnt the crocodiles in the moat in the centre snap at the cars as they drove past??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Jun 2003, 05:00 (Ref:641039)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
blaarg - this has been discussed before and you are correct - it will never happen.

Why?

First track licence - the Dome is NOT licensed for CAMS racing on its own - never has been and never will be.

The only times the cars have run on the dome were as part of the two racs held there in 1987 as part of the International Circuit - the main track that then led onto the dome, back off and back onto the main track again. A number of cars reported major problems because of the high G forces experienced when on the dome section.

Surface - the dome CANNOT be used when it is wet or even damp - it is simply far too dangerous - all racing STOPS on the dome with even a light drizzle and even a dump from a radiator is evough to shut an event down.

And finally - maintenance - the surface of the dome is no longer suitable for racing without some major work being done on it and Bob Jane isn't currently about to spend any money on it. He had a proposal to the NASCAR drivers 12 months ago to resume racing on it but it required around a starting figure of $150,000 just to get the track up and running again for a club level event.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 06:06 (Ref:641070)   #4
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and why would you want racing which is anything like NASCAR?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 06:11 (Ref:641073)   #5
RaceTime
Veteran

Dome racing is a totally different type of racing and - to be honest - would never suit V8's anyway.

NASCAR/AUSCAR racing involves the involvement of the crews to the point that they will more than make or break a teams chances of winning.

Driving around the Dome isn't as easy as it looks - especially when you factor in the high G-forces etc.

One thing I forgot to mention before - setting a car up for Tri-oval racing is a hell of a lot different than circuit racing - HQ's - who used to race regularly on a 23 degree banking and circuits had two seperate cars - the dome car wasn't used (without complete suspension mods being done) on flat tracks.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 06:31 (Ref:641086)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I still reckon the crocodiles would be a worry

The surface is stuffed, Bob has lost interest, and wont throw another couple of million dollars at something that wont hold his beloved NASCARs ever again
Old 24 Jun 2003, 06:44 (Ref:641096)   #7
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weren't they ment to run out there on the weekend just gone???????????????

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 24 Jun 2003, 06:45 (Ref:641098)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

Actually - the crocodiles are't the worry - its the pirahna that come out when the really heavy rain does fall (during a meeting) and both tunnels get flooded out

Last edited by RaceTime; 24 Jun 2003 at 06:53.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 06:54 (Ref:641101)   #9
RaceTime
Veteran

There were a number o fmeeting s'scheduled' for this year but only one has happened so far AFAIK. And the information I had at the time was that it was so poorly attended by competitors that Calder weren't prepared to waste any more money on them.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 06:55 (Ref:641102)   #10
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from an entertainment point of view it would work very well, considering entertainment is what V8Supercars are all about.

RaceTime, if what you originally stated is all that's wrong with racing on the superspeedway, then it's barely a problem.

PS. Since when has the pit crew in V8Supercar not had any influence on a teams chance of winning or losing?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 07:10 (Ref:641115)   #11
Onlooker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by blaarg

PS. Since when has the pit crew in V8Supercar not had any influence on a teams chance of winning or losing?
Car 99 springs to mind
Old 24 Jun 2003, 07:14 (Ref:641116)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

blaarg - are you suggesting safety is not a problem? CAMS and drivers alike were, for once, united in their thinking and reasoning on using the Dome - it is simply too dangerous for cars that are NOT specifically built for that type of racing - as I said - HQ's (and even some NASCAR teams) had two cars built. Event the current circuit racing NASCAR drivers have said that they could no longer return to racing at the Dome as all of their cars have been modified for circuit racing and the cost to convert them back to oval racing was prohibitive.

Thge G forces along were a problem in 1987 the Nissan team were monitoring this during all sessions because both drivers were complaining of excessive loads on the cars going through turns 2 and 1 (NASCAR number style btw).

As for pit crews - V8 pit crew and pit stops cannot be compared to any legitimate form of racings pit stops. For starters - they can't even pit under safety conditions - this was and still is one of the tactical decisions NASCAR teams have to make - certain CAMS and AVESCO people in this country don't seem to believe that V8 teams are even capable of working this sort of thing out for themselves.

NASCAR pit stops are genuine ie they pit because they have to NOT because the rules simply state they must pit between lap 9 and 10 (well they used to be some may nwo stipulate laps but the point is made)

They also refuel because they have to - V8's biggest mistake with the CPS **** is by still allowing large fuel tanks.

If a race is to be 150 or 300 km long, the fuel tank should only be able to hold enough fuel for 100 or 200 km respectively.

Then we would se the men sort themselves out from the boys....
Old 24 Jun 2003, 07:19 (Ref:641119)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Would Dunlop sanction the use of their circuit use control tyres for running on the ovals... I know it was political at the time but Bridgestone refused Mr Daily Planet the use of the control tyre at the time to run in Europe on the basis that the tyres hadne been tested at the constant speeds of the Nurburgring
Old 24 Jun 2003, 07:32 (Ref:641129)   #14
Onlooker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Would Dunlop sanction the use of their circuit use control tyres for running on the ovals... I know it was political at the time but Bridgestone refused Mr Daily Planet the use of the control tyre at the time to run in Europe on the basis that the tyres hadne been tested at the constant speeds of the Nurburgring
The V8's wouldn't be as fast anyway,compared with a NASCAR they are underpowered and got to much drag.The corner speed would be a lot less due to the road going symetrical suspension.

Bridgestone must have been kicking themselves that they had not conducted more extensive tests on their tyres,not often does that kind of chance just fall into your lap.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 07:44 (Ref:641140)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Well I guess they lucked out of a lawsuit when Mr Daily Planet shortened the ex-Ellery HYL/GMS car at PI....

A Supercar would do a few quick laps, then the heat would build up on the LH front, and blow....
Old 24 Jun 2003, 08:08 (Ref:641159)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

like the truck coming onto the start/finish straight at one meeting - the explosion of the tyre (just before the truck hit the wall, carreered along it taking out a TV camera...) was heard for km - inside the South or media building (which was pretty well soundproofed) it was like a bomb exploding so heaven help anyone outside when it went...
Old 24 Jun 2003, 08:29 (Ref:641165)   #17
Onlooker
Veteran

Crick was sure fast around the corners that race but wasn't he

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 24 Jun 2003, 08:31 (Ref:641167)   #18
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by twig
and why would you want racing which is anything like NASCAR?
Because that would involve overtaking, panel rubbing and a bit of biff, which if i remember is not allowed in V8 soupcar

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 24 Jun 2003, 08:56 (Ref:641184)   #19
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so then it would just be penalty after penalty after penalty......so V8's just couldn't drive around there!
Old 24 Jun 2003, 09:21 (Ref:641195)   #20
RaceTime
Veteran

You must be on a different planet
Old 24 Jun 2003, 09:59 (Ref:641214)   #21
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The set ups for the cars would be too different, i couldn't see any of the teams being interested.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 10:05 (Ref:641220)   #22
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id like to see a indy style track done there with say half the dome and a track made in the inside, would work really well i think, plenty of seats, half the pits is done, pit paddock stays where is for supports, keeps getting better and better if ya ask me.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 10:17 (Ref:641232)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

Don't know why anyone is speculating about this - it has been stated by CAMS and Jane - it will never happen - too dangerous.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 13:26 (Ref:642674)   #24
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by blaarg
from an entertainment point of view it would work very well, considering entertainment is what V8Supercars are all about.
What is so entertaining about a high speed follow the leader.I'm a motor racing fan I want to see racing.In NASCAR they race.Have a look at last weeks NASCAR race on the road course.Over- taking,push and shove, panel rubbing.IN OTHER WORDS RACING.If I wanted entertainment I would go to a strip club
Old 25 Jun 2003, 23:09 (Ref:643219)   #25
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the Tdome a few years ago on the Friday of the weekend of the Sandown round, when the V8s were restricted to two days during a race meetings, 1996, maybe. A V8 team was using the Dome to bed in brakes, didnt make it that much cheaper, did it!

Sounded awesome!!

The best way to make the V8s more entertaining is to give the behemoth wings the chop!!