Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 Aug 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2516920)   #76
lauren1995
Rookie

lauren1995 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm pretty excited that villenueve might be racing for roma just because it would mean there'd be an ex-f1 champ in superleague!! i've had a look at his stats from when he was last in f1 a couple of years ago & he outqualified heidfeld 7-5 so he's probably still pretty fast.

there's definitely a lot more to gain for superleague than there is for villeneuve, especially if he wants to race in f1 again. it'll be brilliant publicity to have him in the series but there are f1 standard drivers like pantano & valles racing already and it'll be hard work for him to beat them.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2516982)   #77
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrmanningjarv View Post
It's a shame that a championship that could be bringing on young drivers is all too eager to replace them with more high profile choices who may not necessarily do a better job. I know it happens in many championships, but it doesn't make it alright.
It's very important that the like of Tappy should get back and that Craig Dolby should stay. Having 'name' drivers is fine as long as it's not at the expense of talent.

I could think of one driver (aka The Mobile Chicane) who should be replaced by Villeneuve.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2517020)   #78
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Having 'name' drivers is fine as long as it's not at the expense of talent.
Exactly my point - why replace Tung or Kennard, just getting to grips with difficult cars, with 'name' drivers who will maybe do a worse job?

Whereas Mr. Muermans would benefit from being replaced because he wouldn't be humiliating himself every weekend.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2517029)   #79
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Exactly my point - why replace Tung or Kennard, just getting to grips with difficult cars, with 'name' drivers who will maybe do a worse job?

Whereas Mr. Muermans would benefit from being replaced because he wouldn't be humiliating himself every weekend.
Looks like we're reading from the same piece of paper, kmj.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2517037)   #80
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Looks like we're reading from the same piece of paper, kmj.

Sorry Strider, I couldn't resist. That smiley doesn't get out much.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2517042)   #81
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't this just a bit like the footballer's transfer market. Remember it is the clubs who are racing, not the drivers (in theory) so if they chop and change the team and move people in and out of the club the Football fan will be familiar with the concept and accept that. Leave someone in place too long and the driver might get the recognition, not the team.

Or am I being cynical?

Since the seats seem to be occupied on a race by race basis (and football teams come and go in the series) I suspect driver changes are not a big deal to the publicity machine other than for local marketing. In the long term having a pool of drivers familiar with the cars and available on a race my race basis might be a good thing for the series concept. Perhaps less so for the drivers if they are seeking continuity as part of their career development. But then if you want that you are likely to have missed that boat already if you end up driving in SF rather than for a feeder organisation like Red Bull or the McLaren approach or BMW Juniors (if that still exists ...)

There is a certain attraction to a mix of new boys, established journeymen, former F1 level drivers and the odd F1 pensioner added to teh mix from time to time as a standards comparisons of sorts.

Schumacher the elder is a soccer fan isn't he? I wonder if he might be interested when his Ferrari revival escapade comes to an end?

Old 7 Aug 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2517287)   #82
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post

Sorry Strider, I couldn't resist. That smiley doesn't get out much.
Too right, L2LO, I didn't know it even existed! Very appropriate, too, as I'm just enjoying a nice cuppa tea!
Old 7 Aug 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2517352)   #83
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Isn't this just a bit like the footballer's transfer market. Remember it is the clubs who are racing, not the drivers (in theory) so if they chop and change the team and move people in and out of the club the Football fan will be familiar with the concept and accept that. Leave someone in place too long and the driver might get the recognition, not the team.

Or am I being cynical?

Since the seats seem to be occupied on a race by race basis (and football teams come and go in the series) I suspect driver changes are not a big deal to the publicity machine other than for local marketing.
Just a comment Grant from this side of the Atlantic where there's very little name recognition with your league football.

I've seen one SLF race, and this thread, and that's it, but here we are on page 6 and I don't recall that many references to this football club or that football club, but more this driver and that driver (and by a country mile?).

Could easily be a 10-tenths bias of some sort esp. in the National Single Seaters forums it seems, or the name recognition thing FAIK, but a curious sort of platform IMO.

Edit: and my apologies Grant, seems I've assumed you're not on this side of the Atlantic when of course, I have no idea.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2517365)   #84
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
http://www.superleagueformula.com/su...rea/Entry-list

Ho-Pin Tung driving for Galatasaray, according to the latest list on the official site good for him, he has driven well so far.

Scott Mansell was poor at Donington, no surprise to see a replacement really.

At the moment, Kennard still listed for AS Roma.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2517443)   #85
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Just a comment Grant from this side of the Atlantic where there's very little name recognition with your league football.

I've seen one SLF race, and this thread, and that's it, but here we are on page 6 and I don't recall that many references to this football club or that football club, but more this driver and that driver (and by a country mile?).

Could easily be a 10-tenths bias of some sort esp. in the National Single Seaters forums it seems, or the name recognition thing FAIK, but a curious sort of platform IMO.

Edit: and my apologies Grant, seems I've assumed you're not on this side of the Atlantic when of course, I have no idea.
L2LO, you are right, I'm on the sunrise side of the pond. In theory the SF appeal is worldwide although currently the absence of international club competition (or indeed many teams) seems to mean that excludes North America.

What you see is the 10 10ths view of the thing. The direvers? Well, as one said when interviewed at Donington, he didn't know that much about football or the team he was driving for but he was learning quickly. Actually I think a couple of them said much the same thing when asked similar questions.

No doubt the football fans have a similar but opposite view of the cars and drivers.

Given that the Liverpool team was offering free e-tickets (wish I'd known) and that Donington Park were offering tickets to people in the local ara for £5 for the Sunday (but had to be booked in advance so presumably add a booking fee) although the newsletter that brought that to my attention arrived just about in time to miss the advanced booking opportunity, it didn't seem that busy with obvious spectators. Many of the people I stood near seemed to be friends and supporters of people taking part in other races. Not so many around were wearing the club 'colours', although those that did looked faintly ridiculous me. But hey, each to their own. I will admit that I was not in the more popular public areas for this one.

On the other hand the circuit had a lot of 'dressing' for the organisers to pretty the place up. (And it was stripped very quickly after the last SF activity!). There were also a large number of vehicles and many staff from the Dutch TV outfit covering the race. So I guess the TV distribution is more important than local attendance.

Considering this is only the second season and there are not so many races in the season the drivers seem to come and go or just swap teams very readily. When you get the team that is seconf in the League pulling out after 3 races and another re-joining it gets difficult to care about keeoping track of which soccer team is doing what. Not that it really matters.

With drivers now swapping race teams it should be interesting to see how they go. For example Ho-Pin Tung, having been substituted for a Spanish driver for an Iberian race, moves both race and soccer teams and lands in the Galatasary car which to date with Tappy has been sort of middle of the pack despite Tappy's exposure to the series from the first runs, and last weekend with Mansell (Scott) was pretty much at the back, though the circumstances were tricky. It should be interesting to see how Tung goes. The other Ultimate car, nominally lying second in the league before last weekend (but that position was for a soccer team that had subsequently withdrawn) had an 11th place finish in race 1 and a DNF after 10 laps in race 2 due to a car problem.

The comparison between Tung and Guerrieri could be quite interesting.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2517469)   #86
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
The other Ultimate car, nominally lying second in the league before last weekend (but that position was for a soccer team that had subsequently withdrawn) had an 11th place finish in race 1 and a DNF after 10 laps in race 2 due to a car problem.

The comparison between Tung and Guerrieri could be quite interesting.
I'm biased, but I don't think there is much comparison. In race 1 Guerrieri was tipped into a spin by Tristan Gommendy and he was going like a train in race 2 until stopped by a flat battery of all things.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 18:41 (Ref:2517479)   #87
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I'm biased, but I don't think there is much comparison. In race 1 Guerrieri was tipped into a spin by Tristan Gommendy and he was going like a train in race 2 until stopped by a flat battery of all things.
Which is why it could be interesting.

Gommendy seemed to have a habit of doing that on the day, a repeat in race 3. I seem to recall there was to be some assessment of that but have heard no more about it.

Did you get the flat battery thing from the team or a media report? I was told the same but when I thought about it later began to wonder if I had heard correctly.

So Tung, having been going quite well this year, arrives under the same 'management' as Guerrieri who has been going very well of late, except for the results at Donington. Tung is taking over a car that has been less successful than Guerrieri's but that may be for reasons we don't know. Will things stay the same in terms of relative speed and results? For both drivers and cars ...
Old 7 Aug 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2517504)   #88
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hmmm Guerrieri and Gommendy, both pretty good drivers in my book! Shame I couldn't get to Donington!

Guys reallly don't want to your flow, but I notice some of the posts are non Donington specific and would like it if you could continue that side of things in the general/background Superleague thread please!!

Reminder here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102144

Cheers!
Old 7 Aug 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2517513)   #89
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Scott Mansell was poor at Donington, no surprise to see a replacement really.
To be fair, Donington represented Scott Mansell's first race at this level since 2006. I guess that sort of explains his performance level and his subsequent replacement.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 22:52 (Ref:2517606)   #90
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
To be fair, Donington represented Scott Mansell's first race at this level since 2006. I guess that sort of explains his performance level and his subsequent replacement.
True, but that raises the question of why he was picked over Tappy in the first place.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2517633)   #91
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
That and having only about 45 minutes running on a rather wet track in practice. So running in the dry on Sunday would have been a first .

It seems to me that there are a number of seats that have no continuity expected (perhaps all of them?) and that arrangements are made on a race by race basis.

When interviewed Duncan Tappy certainly seemed to be suggesting that he expected that he could be back in the car (or a car) later in the series.

I suspect that Scott Mansell's drive was just a one off, possibly for local reasons that are obscure?
Old 8 Aug 2009, 02:31 (Ref:2517669)   #92
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I suspect that Scott Mansell's drive was just a one off, possibly for local reasons that are obscure?
Well if they want to market the Football Less-than-casual-about-Motorsport-Fans then maybe they thought they could delude them he was one of Nigel's offspring!!

Come to Donington! See your favourite football club race (*cough* So long as they're Tottenham or Liverpool!) and see the next generation of the Mansell family race! (*cough* NotactuallyrelatedtoNigel *cough* )

I'm sure it didn't work
Old 8 Aug 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2517851)   #93
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
So some acknowldegment then from the league on driver recognition, not surpisingly.

Curious on a lap time at Donnington in F1 - sorry it's probably already come-up.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 17:11 (Ref:2517884)   #94
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
So some acknowldegment then from the league on driver recognition, not surpisingly.

Curious on a lap time at Donnington in F1 - sorry it's probably already come-up.
Current F1, previous F1 as run at the one race they had at the circuit or a time for the new proposed layout?

I don't think any current or very recent cars have tested there (despite some interesting engine notes from time to time) so the best sort of guide might be from the Renault World Series event demo runs a few years back. Somewhere in the back of my mind is the figure 1:15 or 1:16. So assume on fully developed run that would be around 1:12.

Euroboss Benetton with 4ltr V10 Judd giving about 710bhp can do around 1:18 on the long circuit.

The new circuit simulation suggests a lap time of around 1:19 or 1:20. The circuit gains half a mile but loses the chicane.

Is that the sort of info you were looking for?
Old 8 Aug 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2517901)   #95
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Yeah, nothing but net Grant, thanks. Any other comparisons may have been a different thread.

Sunday 6th September 2009
SF Round 4 Portugal at Estoril *cough*