Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 23 May 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1617005)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If this gets critical I have another plan. On my Blazer SUV I have a dual fuel conversion with a massive original fuel tanl that is only used as a stand by. It should be possible to fill that up and use that to transport the fuel and pump it out into the race car at the track, we will beat these idiots one way ot the other!
Old 23 May 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1617218)   #27
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
carsreunited should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you use Tesco and get the 99 ron, use the 'pay at pump' function. Fill your jerry cans, put them in the car. Select pay at pump and then put normal unleaded in your tow vehicle or whatever. That way, you don't even have to talk to anyone.

It's all as stupid as the not using your mobile on the forecourt rule. I mean, how many petrol stations have you heard about blowing up due to this??!!
Dolomite Sprint #86, 2006 CTCRC Post Historic CHAMPIONSHIP
Old 23 May 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1617466)   #28
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The alternative - buy your fuel from the circuit petrol station. Not only will it be expensive, but probably old as well![/QUOTE]

Possibly, marginally expensive; but OLD?? Most Pumps at Circuits also are used to refuel all the Circuit vehicles, and most Circuits have a Race/Rally School, so the turnover of fuel is pretty frequent!; plus their own fleet Service vehicles, Cars, Minibuses etc:
Old 24 May 2006, 07:49 (Ref:1617646)   #29
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsreunited
It's all as stupid as the not using your mobile on the forecourt rule. I mean, how many petrol stations have you heard about blowing up due to this??!!
None. Even the google says no

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=294170
Old 24 May 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1618277)   #30
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Use to work in petrochemical Industry and we all knew it was crap more than 10 years ago...
If there was so much chance of us blowing up we would have to push our cars into the forecourt as the alterantor/generator/magnito would blow us up. Not to mention the 1000 other solinoids in a modern car
Old 25 May 2006, 10:08 (Ref:1618511)   #31
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thought that it was more due to early digital mobiles affecting the operation of the pumps, and possibly changing the measured amount.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1625206)   #32
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought i read somewere that early mobile phones could potentiolly ignite the petrol(spellings bad i know)i never thought a phone could interfere with a pump though sounds weird to me
Old 2 Jun 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1625231)   #33
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
I pass a Shell garage on the way to the motorway and I have never had any problem getting fuel in jerry cans. Although as it is on the way I do have the trailer with me so maybe that is okay. If you are in a car it may look like you are getting ready for a fuel strike?

Although I am sponsored by Gulf I can't have the fuel at home as it only comes in large drums and my house hold insurance doesn't allow it. I think Infiniti had the same issue last year when they offered to fuel the team.
I was filling up for the Thruxton race at the same garage as above and as my motorhome and trailer are so long they came running out after I had fueled as they thought I had done a runner as they couldn't see where I had gone on the camera!!! They were pleased to see me reappear out of the trailer having put the cans back!!
Old 2 Jun 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1625246)   #34
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
I was filling up for the Thruxton race at the same garage as above and as my motorhome and trailer are so long they came running out after I had fueled as they thought I had done a runner as they couldn't see where I had gone on the camera!!! They were pleased to see me reappear out of the trailer having put the cans back!!
It'd be a bit odd to do a runner leaving your 'bago and trailer behind wouldn't it!

Mike
Old 4 Jun 2006, 01:34 (Ref:1626424)   #35
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
i thought i read somewere that early mobile phones could potentiolly ignite the petrol(spellings bad i know)i never thought a phone could interfere with a pump though sounds weird to me
Make a call on a digital phone and hold it next to a radio or TV, and have a look at what it does.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 05:13 (Ref:1626500)   #36
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsreunited
They put this to rest on Mythbusters on Discovery. The general consensus is that most forecourt fires are caused by static from people-mainly in the US (where they have auto pumps) getting in and out of the car while filling up. When they go to touch the nozzle again they earth themselves and cause a spark and a fire.
It was the same as the static shock you get if you don't hold onto the car when you put your feet on the ground as you get out.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1627099)   #37
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
Make a call on a digital phone and hold it next to a radio or TV, and have a look at what it does.
So a petrol pump relies on radio/TV technology to make it work?

Mike
Old 4 Jun 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1627126)   #38
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its the same as that nonscense about don't use mobiles in hospital as it will crash the equipment when alround you the staff are using theirs. Only reason is they want you to use their expensive payphones, big con!
Old 4 Jun 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1627130)   #39
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's got to be a risk in there somewhere....though small! Agree re the payphones though Al....it's like my work, you can make personal phonecalls but you have to pay for them - and they charge you at the hotel guest rates!