Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 17 Sep 2017, 23:19 (Ref:3768101)   #106
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Diss the dirt mods all you want, but there are several very good reasons why they're becoming increasingly popular.

Though I wish they'd go back to the mid-90s narrowbody forms to help them stand out from limited late models;
Old 18 Sep 2017, 00:07 (Ref:3768110)   #107
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
I've been going to the Saturday races in both the summer and the fall at New Hampshire Motor Speedway since 2002, and I always remember seeing the black-blue and silver #13 modified...and in later years, his Red #36 competing for wins almost every time. Quite a shock to have found out about his death yesterday. Very sad indeed.

On another note, I'll be making the trip again this coming weekend to Loudon for the Saturday races, and more importantly the last time the circle racers will be coming to Loudon for the September races, so I am sure there will be a fitting service for Ted.
His Speedbowl 13 was at the track last night, as it stays in the same trailer as the #19 Street Stock. After the announcement was made at the track, the car owner drove it around the track for two laps slowly in tribute.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 02:04 (Ref:3768127)   #108
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
His Speedbowl 13 was at the track last night, as it stays in the same trailer as the #19 Street Stock. After the announcement was made at the track, the car owner drove it around the track for two laps slowly in tribute.
That must have been "a moment".

He was still more than just active correct? As in, he was not only still competing, he was running towards the front?
Old 18 Sep 2017, 13:03 (Ref:3768265)   #109
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
That must have been "a moment".

He was still more than just active correct? As in, he was not only still competing, he was running towards the front?
Oh god yeah. He won at Stafford on Sept 8, and one of Thompson's two SK features on the 10th.

ALWAYS at the front, I believe he had 6 wins this year in an SK at Stafford alone.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3768287)   #110
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Oh god yeah. He won at Stafford on Sept 8, and one of Thompson's two SK features on the 10th.

ALWAYS at the front, I believe he had 6 wins this year in an SK at Stafford alone.
I thought so.

Been a minute since I've been able to catch any of the races outside the top three.

Impressive for a man pushing 60...
Old 18 Sep 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3768289)   #111
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Diss the dirt mods all you want, but there are several very good reasons why they're becoming increasingly popular.

Though I wish they'd go back to the mid-90s narrowbody forms to help them stand out from limited late models;
Unfortunately, many of the dirt tracks (especially in the Southeast) are closing...
Old 18 Sep 2017, 14:34 (Ref:3768294)   #112
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
I thought so.

Been a minute since I've been able to catch any of the races outside the top three.

Impressive for a man pushing 60...
Yeah, the battles him and Keith Rocco have had over the years have been tremendous.

Keith's first job was working on TC's car when he was way young, so he learned everything from him, and it shows.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 19:20 (Ref:3768378)   #113
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Unfortunately, many of the dirt tracks (especially in the Southeast) are closing...
We have the opposite problem up here - asphalt tracks are struggling.

Ultimately I think the country got oversaturated with short tracks so of course a lot will be closing now that weekend short tracking isn't as big a deal as it once was.

But that's actually one of the reasons those modifieds are growing so much in areas where tracks aren't closing. A track that can't afford to run with the payouts for high-dollar machines needs something that's fun for drivers(drivers LOVE those modifieds), cheap to operate, and still puts on a heck of a show for the fans.

At the near half-mile track I raced on, our top modifieds were only half a second slower than the crate late models, and they're half the cost to run. (too bad I did not have the talent to be competitive in those things despite having a track championship in the limiteds)

In this day and age the high-dollar equipment needs to be limited to the touring championships. The weekly stuff needs to be cost-effective.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3768382)   #114
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Where'd you run?
Old 18 Sep 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3768409)   #115
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Where'd you run?
I'd rather not say specifically what track I raced at weekly due to my inherent desire for privacy, but I'm happy to give you a general area; Eastern Ohio/western PA. Just west of Big Block territory, in fact.

Tracks I've run include(but are not limited to) Raceway 7, Sharon, Eriez, 250, and Mercer.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 20:57 (Ref:3768410)   #116
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
We have the opposite problem up here - asphalt tracks are struggling.

Ultimately I think the country got oversaturated with short tracks so of course a lot will be closing now that weekend short tracking isn't as big a deal as it once was.

But that's actually one of the reasons those modifieds are growing so much in areas where tracks aren't closing. A track that can't afford to run with the payouts for high-dollar machines needs something that's fun for drivers(drivers LOVE those modifieds), cheap to operate, and still puts on a heck of a show for the fans.

At the near half-mile track I raced on, our top modifieds were only half a second slower than the crate late models, and they're half the cost to run. (too bad I did not have the talent to be competitive in those things despite having a track championship in the limiteds)

In this day and age the high-dollar equipment needs to be limited to the touring championships. The weekly stuff needs to be cost-effective.
The two asphalt tracks near me still exist but no longer hold races. Ones towards South and Middle GA struggling as well, if not closed (one appeared in the Cars 3 / Dodge Commercials here recently).

Definitely an over-saturation from the 70s on, but there's at least 3 dirt tracks in NE GA still going decent and a boxing ring that also holds Saturday night dirt races to my west.