Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 7 Jun 2002, 07:59 (Ref:307107)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
24Hr Relay Races

My first ever race meeting was in the 24Hr relay race at Winton in 1992. It is still the best race meeting I hvae ever done. I wonder if any club around Australia is considering running another any time soon. Has anyone else here ever done one????

This is a picture of the Gemini at the 24Hr at Winton 1992
Attached Thumbnails
gemini winton.gif  
Old 7 Jun 2002, 08:44 (Ref:307130)   #2
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Floyd of the MSCA in Victoria is contemplating trying to get one up for next year, but I understand he is experiencing a fair amount of opposition from the MSCA itself.

He did tell me that if necessary, he would go it alone and promote it himself, however, he is mindful of Paul Dibbs failure in this area (cost wise) and would only do it if it could be made fully funded.

The problem is - where do you hold it?

Realistically, it has to be one of the east coast circuits - certain tracks are automatically ruled out (Phillip Island and Sandown) because of local environmental circumstances; Calder is being considered but facilities let it down badly; Eastern Creek wand Oran Park also have environmental problems (particularly Oran Park) and Queensland Raceway is seen as being too far north and 'uninteresting and unchallenging' over a 24 hour period (unless of course you could alter track layouts during the event

So this leaves Winton and Wakefield as the only viable alternatives.

Winton has one major problem - as almost anyone racing there would know and, until there is a change in management (unlikely) whilst the track says they will 'help as much as they can' for any race meeting, in reality this doesn't happen and competitors, officials are made to feel like - well unwanted.

Wakefield Park on the other hand, is very similar to Winton - the entire track can be seen from one point, the track is the same length as the original Winton circuit (2.0 km) and has the same track density. Wintons advantage, at this stage, are pit garages on the new section BUT Wintons charges for use of them adds a huge amount to the cost of the track.

Wakefield is very receptive and is willing to run the event at an affordable level ie if it means running under a Wakefield permit rather than CAMS, then it will happen.

Both Winton and Wakefield have similar cons against them - accommodation required, however, when you look at it realisticvally, again Wakefield comes out marginally on top:

Winton - 2 1/2 hours from Melbourne, 8 hours from Sydney
Wakefield - 1 1/2 hours from Sydney, 8 hours from Melbourne
Accommodation required at both tracks.

There are some other details I understand Davids is still trying to work on (such as the possibility of initial qualifying taking place in VIC, NSW and QLD as part of regular State Race level meetings (and before anyone jumps, this *could* be done quite easily - if you want details on how, ust ask) thus ensuring that anyone entering has track experience before they get to the track.

HTH's
Old 7 Jun 2002, 08:46 (Ref:307135)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And to add to this - if you really want to get involved in a 24 hour race, it's too late for this year, but keep in mind the 3rd weekend in September each year and head for Murray Bridge in South Australia or Wonthaggi in Vic in March.

Human Powered Vehicles - IOW recumbrant bikes - this link will give you an idea of the type of vehicles involved http://www.racetime.com.au/racedata/r0048/r02all.htm
Old 7 Jun 2002, 11:39 (Ref:307266)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about Morgan Park? Their regular race meetings have been known to go onto the wee small hours of the morning, and nobody gives a damn. Everyone is behind the place, and I'm sure that a major meeting like a 24hr race would help get it on the map. Plus it's got an interesting layout. If people really want to race, they'll travel.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 11:51 (Ref:307273)   #5
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
How about Morgan Park? Their regular race meetings have been known to go onto the wee small hours of the morning, and nobody gives a damn. Everyone is behind the place, and I'm sure that a major meeting like a 24hr race would help get it on the map. Plus it's got an interesting layout. If people really want to race, they'll travel.
What do you reckon Mark an article in Auto Action my get some people motivated into organising one.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 12:07 (Ref:307282)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I might let them finish off the track first

Only a few things to do now- they've got to do a computer model of the track, put in some walls, fix up the kink in the main straight, etc etc, but it's all looking good at this stage for September.

Auto Action? Hrmmm, that's an idea! See how we go, but I think I spent their entire advertising budget on my signature
Old 7 Jun 2002, 12:24 (Ref:307290)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What are they doing to the main straight at Morgan Park?

I can't imagine how much it would cost to do a 24 hour race, how many tyres, how much fuel, how many brake pads, not to mention wear and tear on engine and gearbox. Whoa, too much! I reckon the Eastern Creek 6 hour is about right.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 12:26 (Ref:307292)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Basically they've been told to fix it, or the place won't get a license, so I spose TC will have to change it...
Old 7 Jun 2002, 12:29 (Ref:307293)   #9
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its fairly cheap if you do it right. Just do the first session then after the car change over prepare your car for another stint then leave it parked in the way and lock it up and go back to the motel never to be seen again.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 12:30 (Ref:307294)   #10
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
What are they doing to the main straight at Morgan Park?

I can't imagine how much it would cost to do a 24 hour race, how many tyres, how much fuel, how many brake pads, not to mention wear and tear on engine and gearbox. Whoa, too much! I reckon the Eastern Creek 6 hour is about right.
It's not as expensive as you would think. It really does depend on the team that you do it with, If ALL the cars are well prepared then in a 24hr you'll get about 4 or so hours and in a 6 hour probably about 2. But if you encounter what happened at the last 24hour we did and all the cars (7 in total) bar my Gemini and Morris's HQ had problems then you will get hours and hours running.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 12:33 (Ref:307297)   #11
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
12 hours at Winton in a HQ yeah yeah!
Old 7 Jun 2002, 12:56 (Ref:307308)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash, are they modifying the kink or getting rid of it? Will the straight be straight and will it be the same width all the way along?
Old 7 Jun 2002, 13:03 (Ref:307312)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
David- Not sure on the specifics, but they've been told to change something in that regard. I suppose it makes it interesting if you are the only car on the track, but I'd hate to go through there 2 wide.

Apparently it won't be as fast as first hoped, with some of the stuff down the back fairly tight. The flip flop coming back onto the old track will be blind and interesting.... once again I've got to say that I can't wait
Old 7 Jun 2002, 13:14 (Ref:307323)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
With the kink in the straight now, it's a doddle on your own, but a real challenge when two cars are side by side, basically, one of them has to give.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 13:29 (Ref:307329)   #15
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the Winton 24 hour and all I got was a lousy keyring.