Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jul 2002, 22:37 (Ref:333894)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
McRae calls for Schumacher duel!

from www.F1-live.com

Reigning world champion Michael Schumacher isn't the only racing driver entering the record books this year with Rally driver Colin McRae recording the most number of rally wins in the Kenyan Safari Rally on Sunday. After taking victory, McRae then promptly called for a head-to-head shootout with his Formula One counterpart.

After notching up a world record 25th victory the Scot told the BBC he wanted to take on the four time Formula One champion in a match, which would comprise of a race in a Formula One car and then another in a Rally vehicle - with the proceeds going to charity.

Michael has yet to respond to the challenge.
Old 14 Jul 2002, 22:47 (Ref:333898)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
come on... Schumacher in a rally car? probably too scared!
Old 14 Jul 2002, 22:52 (Ref:333901)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I remember back in about 1998 Carl Fogerty offered the same sort of thing to both M.Schu and Eddie but Ferrari wouldn't allow it.
Old 14 Jul 2002, 23:13 (Ref:333911)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we had a discussion sometime ago about whether an F1 driver would make the switch to Rally easier, or whether a Rally driver would make the switch to F1 easier... what's that outcome?

I wonder how the challenge would be judged... and not to detract anything from either drivers, as being so blindly quick in any of these beast is impressive to say the least.

Both had their share of difficulties, but i would think at the first attempt, unless they go awefully slow, Schumacher would find the ditch and McRae either stall the car or spin it off. That said, both had great feel for cars and given time would do relatively well in each others motors...but i would give Schumacher coming out on top if he puts his mind to rallying. Simply because we have seen so many people racing in privateer rallying driving year-old WRC cars...but fewer actually race year-old F1 cars.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 00:33 (Ref:333937)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talk about egos...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 15 Jul 2002, 00:39 (Ref:333939)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I acnnot see Ferrari permitting this, nor can I see any other F1 team offering thir car for such a ridiculous challenge. The only way to resolve this is for the challenge to take place in Go Carts.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 15 Jul 2002, 00:42 (Ref:333941)   #7
SvadraC
Rookie

SvadraC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rather imagine that the insurance companies and the teams sponsers would throw a fit over this one
If there be none, nevermind it.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 01:20 (Ref:333950)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It won't happen, Schumacher'll hide behind politics and lawyers...

Wimp!

Colin'd wipe the tarmac with him! Of course, Jacques or Alesi could probably beat them both!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 01:35 (Ref:333954)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before anyone starts sayin anything about MIchael and the challenge, just stop for a while and think back whether the stupid challenge have any basis or not.

What's the difference in terms of value / cost between a F1 and a rally car?

Do you all think Ferrari is stupid enough to allow someone who dosen't have any experience driving a single seater race the F2002?

Even the Minardi would think twice.

McRae is looking for a cheap publicity stunt that's all. It's a stupid idea to begin with!

Last edited by Jukebox; 15 Jul 2002 at 01:37.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 01:45 (Ref:333958)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Why use the '02 spec cars? Dig out the F2001s again, or just any old cars they've got lying around!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 02:06 (Ref:333966)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's so easy to make such challenges knowing the unlikelihood to have it occur... now that Jukebox mentioned, it does seem like a cheap publicity stunt to dab some of Schumacher's glitters.

And it doesn't take a lot of guts to call someone wimp behind his back either.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 02:08 (Ref:333967)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

I'd say it to his face if I had the chance! Sadly, I don't make $80 million a year, so Herr Schumacher and I tend to travel in different circles.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 02:17 (Ref:333969)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

ah yes... Schumacher is a wimp... you'd say it to his face if you had the chance.

JV had said he will beat Schumacher if they had the same car...

Colin wants to challenge Schumacher...

DC said given the car he would win the WDC...

All and all...but knowing how small a possibility of that happening

But still, Michael's a wimp. Oh yes indeed!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 02:21 (Ref:333970)   #14
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Like SvadraC mentioned, there are other complications as well and Insurance is one of them. It's not like physical sport you know, it involves machine Lee.

Aye GT_R, there are lots of things people say about Michael...so why not add wimp in the list

Not many wimps i know is in line to win the 5th WDC title
Old 15 Jul 2002, 02:23 (Ref:333971)   #15
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox

What's the difference in terms of value / cost between a F1 and a rally car?

As far as I'm aware each WRC is worth around £500,000!!!!!!! Thats one expensive Ford Focus!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 02:34 (Ref:333975)   #16
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Exactly kristof!...and how many Ford Focus can you get with a Ferrari F1 car?
Old 15 Jul 2002, 02:34 (Ref:333976)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

To be serious, I don't deny i would be interested to see such a thing become reality where drivers switch seats... but if its for the sake of purely proving one driver to be useless or to give reasons for others fans to find reasons to dig at the driver involved, then i see it pointless and defeat the whole purpose of having such an exchange in the first place.

Anyway, that said, WRC and F1 are vastly different and interesting in their own rights. Tommi Makkinen had a chance behind an F1 car some years back (Williams?), and Carlos Sainz also had a chance to do Superbike...but its all for friendly exchanges. If that's the nature of the so-called challenge, then i am all for it... a challenge where everyone is a winner, colin, schumacher and fans...
Old 15 Jul 2002, 02:54 (Ref:333979)   #18
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
What i would really like to see is Michael and Montoya in CART with an equal machine just for the fun of it and settle the dispute of who's the best in both series.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 03:02 (Ref:333981)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

2 F93As, 2 Focus WRCs, waivers from Ford and Ferrari, a film crew, a hanful of mechanics, and a day-long track rental at Croft. It's not _that_ hard to concieve. Hell, if they want to split the bill, bring Tommi, Marcus, Juan Pablo and Jacques along.

I call Schumacher a wimp because the thing he seems to fear more than anything is losing in a fair fight. He's made a career of manipulating the politics in F1 to ensure he's always got the upper hand in his team, and at this point, in the series. Current marketing is built around the promise that he's the best ever. And so Ferrari are also afraid of letting him put his neck out in a situation where he might get beaten. If Schumacher really had the balls to compete, though, there'd be no way anyone could stop him from accepting the challenge. These two drivers have got enormous resources between them... Michael's obviously one of the most powerful forces in F1, moreso than most of the team owners!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 03:17 (Ref:333984)   #20
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Lee..wanna know why i say it's a publicity stunt and just a cheap gimmick by McRae?

By right McRae should have approached Michael and say his intention and idea to him personally rather than make a challenge out in the open through the media.

If he does that then it'll be more proper and discussions can me made and see whether it's viable. When he makes an open challenge like that, what do you think his intentions are?

Moreover, it's a total different ball game between rally and track racing and McRae is an expert on dirt track while Michael is on racing tracks but to ask both to race against eachother on both tracks is like asking someone who has no experience in flying a plane to fly one.

They are both gifted in what they do best in their own category not the otherway around. McRae should be gentleman enough to challenge privately rather than saying it out loud.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 03:24 (Ref:333985)   #21
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Colin's done plenty of tarmac rallies, and Michael's fans regard him as a master in the wet. The disciplines are _not_ that radically different. Heck, in the '50s and '60s a lot of the best F1 drivers came from rallying.

Of course Colin's looking for publicity. What would be the point of suggesting this in private? Schumacher would decline and walk away. This puts some pressure on him from the public, who I think would love to see something like this!

It's not a cheap gimmick, though. Colin certainly seems ready to back up his challenge.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 03:24 (Ref:333986)   #22
SvadraC
Rookie

SvadraC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
To be serious, I don't deny i would be interested to see
Anyway, that said, WRC and F1 are vastly different and interesting in their own rights. Tommi Makkinen had a chance behind an F1 car some years back (Williams?), and Carlos Sainz also had a chance to do Superbike...but its all for friendly exchanges. If that's the nature of the so-called challenge, then i am all for it... a challenge where everyone is a winner, colin, schumacher and fans...
I agree with your "a challenge where everyone is a winner" concept Gt_r but will take it a step farther.
In the 1940s Bob Feller, the greatest pitcher ever for Cleveland Indians, IMHO, was challenged by a promoter to come to the ball park to throw 5 pitches at a certain speed (I forget what speed it was). This demonstration or show, as it were, was advertised and the turnstiles clicked merrily that day. Bob went to the promoter and said "fine, I will throw those 5 pitches but they are going to cost you $200.00 each." Bob then proceeded to pitch 5 straight balls at 99 mph each. The point being, if I were Michael and was so disposed to take up the challenge and assuming all the principals are in agreement that I can do it, I would say "fine, I will do it for $10,000 a lap." This allows for inflation
If there be none, nevermind it.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 03:42 (Ref:333989)   #23
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
It's not a cheap gimmick, though. Colin certainly seems ready to back up his challenge.
Yeah well, if this were to happen..both should at least have 10 hours of practice in advance and i would really love to see Michael lap him on track and it wouldn't be a shame if Mcrae were to beat him in rally.

It's in the middle of the season anyway and he's paid to drive for Ferrari so it's up to Ferrari whether it's okay or not.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 04:11 (Ref:333998)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

To use the fans to pressurise Michael??

More likely that with Michael looking set to be the fastest WDC in a season, and with more eyes on F1 than rally... what better way to stick up a challenge and have the spotlight on you for a moment?

What has Michael got to gain from this challenge? Nothing. And furthermore, in F1, its easy to get into a couple of second of the fastest lap over a lap distance... as its the final milli seconds that sets the norm from the best. On the contary, the time gaps in rallying are generally bigger.

If Colin wants a challenge, let each have a few hours in each others car, then let them do a 3 lap race at Donington Park first in Ford WRCs, then another 3 lap race in a F2001.

My money is on Michael to come out on tops. But first...get through all the obstacles..
Old 15 Jul 2002, 08:58 (Ref:334101)   #25
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you'd like it to be 'fair' competition, than Focus would have to be driven on dirt. That's where Collin has as huge advantage over Michael as Michael has over him on F1 track. If you want to bring someone at Donington Park to race with Michael in WRC car than bring Panizzi.