Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 21 Apr 2003, 10:21 (Ref:575446)   #1
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Euroboss Vs Champcars

I'm not sure whether this is the right forum for this thread, but I suppose it will just be moved if it isn't!

As the Champcars are coming to Brands in May I was wondering how people think they will compare to the Euroboss lap times. The quickest cars last year (the Judd engined Benettons, ie. Ascaris) lapped, I believe, in under 40 seconds. Would the Champcars be any faster.

Admittedly the cars are quite different, but would it not be a bit embarrasing for the Champ Car WORLD Series to be slower than essentially a club-based european series?

I like both series, but like the idea of the old F1 cars being faster.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:10 (Ref:575613)   #2
Mygale
Racer

Mygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Champ cars will be about 8 seconds a lap quicker than any of the Euroboss cars .
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:17 (Ref:575619)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The euroboss cars are about a second a lap quicker I think.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:18 (Ref:575621)   #4
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brand F3000 team was testing with some EuroBoss cars, and their times were equal, so Champcars will be a quicker than EuroBoss, because Champcars are also quicker than F3000.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:23 (Ref:575626)   #5
Mygale
Racer

and also , im sure drivers like Paul Tracy etc are going to lap Brands alot quicker than a 1 sec against a Euroboss car .The gapis going to be quite large i think .
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:29 (Ref:575631)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ChampCars will be significantly faster than what is basically a late 80s-spec F1 car. The difference in skill of the drivers will obviously be part of that.

Anyway, the appeal of ChampCars isn't how advanced the cars are. It's more to do with how close the racing is, how much action there is, and how capable the drivers are (Lavin excepted). If you think that is 'embarassing' then you won't understand ChampCars.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:40 (Ref:575635)   #7
Mygale
Racer

Can you imagine a field of Champ Cars lapping Brands in the 34sec bracket

Serious stuff .
Old 21 Apr 2003, 17:11 (Ref:575760)   #8
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The top EuroBOSS cars are running 38/39secs around Brands, with 700bhp and a heck of alot of downforce, quite alot of drag as a consiquence.

The CART have around 700bhp (or more????) and similar if not a bit more downforce, but i guess less drag, and they should be on grippier tyres.

I guess that lap times should be about the same, maybe the CART being slightly quicker, maybe in the 37's, should be fun anyway.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 22:42 (Ref:575977)   #9
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I'm looking forward to it!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 15:11 (Ref:576567)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think they are expecting CART to lap in the low 30's according to sources at Brands this weekend.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:29 (Ref:576659)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats what i heard too !...The teams were looking to get in the 32 /33 sec bracket if conditions were right .

I dont think its even going to be comparable with Euroboss .
Old 22 Apr 2003, 18:04 (Ref:576741)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring it on! This'll be totally new for Cart. It's a road course, but so short the teams will be using oval-like strategies.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Apr 2003, 18:43 (Ref:576824)   #13
mellowyellowcj7
Rookie

mellowyellowcj7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you all saying that the overall lap time is 0:33 seconds? I thought you were referring to 1 minute and 33 seconds as 33 sec. Yikes! What is this, a go-kart track! I'm going to have to do a search on this track. They are going to be tip-to-tail around the whole circuit! No wonder they want to make teams complete 3 green flag stops.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 18:53 (Ref:576837)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
hehe...yeah, it's pretty cool. The one bad thing, is that there's no good passing spot, so traffic will be a problem like never before! Expect a few drivers to use the ol' chrome horn . Should be interesting anyway.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Apr 2003, 19:27 (Ref:576895)   #15
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a way im glad we have a small field this season. A full strength 28 car grid of say 1999-2000 spec teams/drivers would be *chaos*
Old 22 Apr 2003, 19:30 (Ref:576898)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see drivers getting frustrated and end up having a good old fashioned lunge at Paddock Hill Bend ......only this time it will be at about 180 MPH

OMG !...i cant wait !!!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 20:14 (Ref:576974)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
jay - no good passing spot?? you what mate can pass in paddock hill - on the exit of it, into druids, if your side by side into graham hill and if yous do it right in the long one clearways? which is kinda the whole lap.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 20:31 (Ref:577011)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
You may be right... I'm the last person that would know about Brands. It's just on the surface there doesn't appear to be any spots. But, they'll *have to* find them.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 21:07 (Ref:577143)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paddock is hard to pass...but You can sometimes go deep in to it , get a deeper line through it and as SS Collins says get a run on the driver up to Druids .....be interesting so see how the Champ Cars drivers will do ?....I still like to see a driver sell a dummy on the entrance to Paddock .

Its always impressive at the Formula Ford Festival , let alone Champ Cars!

Bring it on .

Last edited by Sato san; 22 Apr 2003 at 21:09.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 23:50 (Ref:577540)   #20
mellowyellowcj7
Rookie

mellowyellowcj7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I looked at the Champ car site and they are not using the whole track. Could someone explain why CART would not use the other section of the track too?
Can a spectator see the whole track at once?
Old 23 Apr 2003, 06:56 (Ref:577660)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
CART's contract with Brands Hatch is for 5 years. This year the race is being held on the Indy Circuit but for the next 4 years it's on the full Grand Prix circuit.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 16:21 (Ref:578194)   #22
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having thought about it a bit more the tyres on a EuroBoss are designed to do shorter distances than the CART, so should give more grip. I also forgot that CART cars are heavier than F1, and that one CART car raced in BOSS last year,

So now I say that the lap time would be about the same if not the CART being slower. That is until the CART rule makers give out the pop off valves for the turbo's
Old 23 Apr 2003, 19:03 (Ref:578431)   #23
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I'm pretty sure cart will be around a second a lap slower than the euro boss cars will be a fortnight later
Old 23 Apr 2003, 19:25 (Ref:578464)   #24
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you figure?

Bourdais Lola is a 2002 spec car with a 2002 spec engine and 2003 spec tires.

The Euroboss is what, a multi year old car on junk tires with a slapped in engine? Nevermind the level of prep of the teams and the talent of the drivers.

As somoene mentioned that Pro F3000 cars were going as fast as Euroboss means CART will get some good times in.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 19:39 (Ref:578488)   #25
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Just one small thing, the Ford Engines their using this year are quite a bit different than the 2002 spec. engines. Lower horsepower, rpm but much more turque in the lower ranges.