Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Dec 2007, 05:23 (Ref:2090297)   #1
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dennis’ future in doubt??/"Ron Dennis is definitely stepping aside" thread [MERGED]

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64400
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle580382.ece
Old 17 Dec 2007, 07:19 (Ref:2090321)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
not a chance
Old 17 Dec 2007, 07:47 (Ref:2090336)   #3
Spawinte
Rookie

Ireland
Dundalk, Ireland
Spawinte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope that would be giving Ferrari a further victory and he won't do that. I suspect what he wants to do now is hammer Ferrari into the ground.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 07:58 (Ref:2090337)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like the McLaren team apologises to stop from being paddywhacked.

Clever strategic move.

No way the job is in jeopardy though....

I wonder which 3 bits have had work stopped on them? A rubber grommet, a wing end bolt, and maybe a sticker?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Dec 2007, 08:04 (Ref:2090341)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Looks like the McLaren team apologises to stop from being paddywhacked.

Clever strategic move.

No way the job is in jeopardy though....

I wonder which 3 bits have had work stopped on them? A rubber grommet, a wing end bolt, and maybe a sticker?
Apparently one of them is CO2 in the tyres, not sure the other two.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 08:44 (Ref:2090354)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's good to hear Ron says he's not quitting, he's too much a fighter to retire on a low.

Really though. Who exactly wants him to retire? FIA hasn't even said a thing close to that, Ferrari has never implied nor acted in anyway close to it.

All it seems is the media hinting of such, and most of the media that report so is coming from base. Unless, Mercedes is in some way using the opportunity?

Otherwise, it pretty much seems like the enemy is within?
Old 17 Dec 2007, 08:51 (Ref:2090359)   #7
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say it is all media hype
Old 17 Dec 2007, 09:51 (Ref:2090393)   #8
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Ron Dennis might choose to stay, but if Mclaren $hareholder decide to vote him out, there isnt much he can do isnt it?

Current Mclaren shareholding
DaimlerChrysler : 40%
Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company : 30%
TAG Group : 15%
Ron Dennis : 15%
Old 17 Dec 2007, 10:00 (Ref:2090398)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think Ron Dennis is thinking of retiring, and I don't believe anybody at McLaren wants him to go. Seems fairly simple to me...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Dec 2007, 11:03 (Ref:2090430)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
I would say it is all media hype
It may have been prompted by an article in the Times on Saturday. A very poor piece that showed little understanding of F1, or McLaren. It was the sort of theory you might get from a five year old, IMHO.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:46 (Ref:2090483)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmm..question marks over Ron Dennis' future based on

a. an Autosport article confirming he will stay
and b. another pathetic article from Britain's best-selling comic.

No. He's not going yet. If anything, I suspect all the anti-McLaren feeling this year may have made him more resolute to stay on.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 14:46 (Ref:2090560)   #12
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback
Ron Dennis might choose to stay, but if Mclaren $hareholder decide to vote him out, there isnt much he can do isnt it?

Current Mclaren shareholding
DaimlerChrysler : 40%
Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company : 30%
TAG Group : 15%
Ron Dennis : 15%

Mansour Oijeh is a silent partner as such and always goes with Ron. I'm sure I read the same with Bahrain Mumtalakat, but not sure if that is a legal agreement.

Back in my day, there was another person who owned a small part of McLaren. Not sure if thats the case now
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:39 (Ref:2090634)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Love him or not, and regardless the mud of 2007 staining his grey pressed shirt, history has shown that Ron Dennis has his way of making things work.

If Ron cannot handle the situation at Mclaren and put the team back on track, i doubt there's anyone out there who can.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 18:57 (Ref:2090716)   #14
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope not. Even though i am not really a fan of his ( not enough of a free spirit for me and way to fussy) he has clearly made a brilliant contribution to the sport over the years. His team has a fantastic record of achievement and to go now, at this low point would be a tragedy for him and the sport. He and his like will be remembered long after Max Mosley has been forgotten.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 18:59 (Ref:2090718)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't see Ron stepping down. I see this as something that will spur him on to remain at the helm longer than he intended, actually.

There are some points to prove.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 21:01 (Ref:2090809)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't see Ron authorising a statement of apology without consulting the whole board.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 21:25 (Ref:2090822)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Totally agree.

He's certainly motivated to prove that.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 22:05 (Ref:2090849)   #18
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I don't see Ron stepping down. I see this as something that will spur him on to remain at the helm longer than he intended, actually.

There are some points to prove.

spot on. This is such a non story!
Old 18 Dec 2007, 07:37 (Ref:2091079)   #19
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
It may have been prompted by an article in the Times on Saturday. A very poor piece that showed little understanding of F1, or McLaren. It was the sort of theory you might get from a five year old, IMHO.
is this the article you referring to?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3054314.ece
Old 18 Dec 2007, 08:17 (Ref:2091094)   #20
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rather vitriolic, not altogether wrong but vitriolic.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 11:17 (Ref:2091178)   #21
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think the comparison the writer draws between F1 and football is completely inappropriate - the two sports are entirely different and operate in very different ways. If he wants to see Ron Dennis sacked for not winning, then every team boss who failed to win titles every year would be fired. It's a ludicrous idea.

IMO, it's a very poor article and the writer comes across as being very ill-informed.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 18 Dec 2007, 11:32 (Ref:2091186)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It is a terrible article. A lot of the F1 writers in the mainstream press seem similarly misinformed. Obviously, there are exceptions to this rule. Alan Henry, Maurice Hamilton...etc
Old 18 Dec 2007, 12:31 (Ref:2091227)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am failing to understand this.

So let me get this straight. This Edward Gorman chap, who incidentally I have never heard of and never intend to read another of his 'articles', reckons Whitmarsh and Ron should walk because the season panned out not as well as it could have. Never mind all the wins, or the uncovering of an astonishing rookie then. Presumably this Gorman bloke thinks it was right Jose Mourinho walked from Chelsea earlier this year.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 14:50 (Ref:2091314)   #24
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I think the comparison the writer draws between F1 and football is completely inappropriate - the two sports are entirely different and operate in very different ways.
commerically I dont think they are very different. I think the article is looking at the situation more from a business point of view. As a shareholder or sponsor who sink in hundreds of million, i am sure you would expect the value of your investment to grow.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 14:54 (Ref:2091318)   #25
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
They're hugely different - as a general rule, football managers in top teams are expected to deliver instant success (see Claudio Ranieri and what happened to him when he didn't instantly win with Abramovich's millions), I can't recall a situation when an F1 team boss has been sacked for finishing 2nd. I think the comparison is very poor, because he's talking about it from a sporting, not a business, perspective and it isn't as cut-and-dried as saying "he didn't win, give him the sack".