Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Dec 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3346583)   #51
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I'm surprised by the fact that Monaco isn't live. The impression given when the shared rights deal was announced was that there's be 3 "protected" events - British GP, final race of the season, and Monaco - that would always be live on the Beeb. Sad to see that it hasn't lasted.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3346586)   #52
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Not a great result that BBC only got 1 of the 4 races shown primetime (Canada, Bahrain, US and Brazil).
I wonder what the governments who are shelling out vast quantities of tax dollars to fund the overseas exposure that F1 brings their cities feel about this new development?
Old 21 Dec 2013, 12:40 (Ref:3346597)   #53
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exposure of F1 will only be a small part of a city/country's overseas exposure, and whether they are seen on the BBC or sky most likely doesn't even register.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 13:11 (Ref:3346604)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
I'm surprised by the fact that Monaco isn't live. The impression given when the shared rights deal was announced was that there's be 3 "protected" events - British GP, final race of the season, and Monaco - that would always be live on the Beeb. Sad to see that it hasn't lasted.
I wouldn't be surprised if by 2015 the BBC didn't show any live races, the British GP possibly being the exception.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3346678)   #55
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The BBC are slowly losing interest. Expect their quality to erode as well.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3346683)   #56
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The BBC are slowly losing interest. Expect their quality to erode as well.
You mean ditching the experts and bringing in some dozy so and so's who are cheaper!
Old 21 Dec 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3346760)   #57
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Not a great result that BBC only got 1 of the 4 races shown primetime (Canada, Bahrain, US and Brazil).
The thought that springs to mind is that the BBC may have avoided some of these races due to the disruption it may cause to their normal prime time scheduling.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3346767)   #58
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
The thought that springs to mind is that the BBC may have avoided some of these races due to the disruption it may cause to their normal prime time scheduling.
Honestly, what's it likely to clash with ? Songs of Praise or The Politics show maybe ?
Old 22 Dec 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3346895)   #59
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Honestly, what's it likely to clash with ? Songs of Praise or The Politics show maybe ?
I'm not sure - I don't tend to watch prime time stuff on the BBC. However, this year's Brazilian GP had approximately the same number of people viewing as watched Songs of Praise. Also qualifying shows generally get lower audiences than the normal prime time programmes on the BBC.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3346925)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I'm not sure - I don't tend to watch prime time stuff on the BBC. However, this year's Brazilian GP had approximately the same number of people viewing as watched Songs of Praise. Also qualifying shows generally get lower audiences than the normal prime time programmes on the BBC.
Is that a good thing or bad thing, with the answer depending on how many people watch Songs of Praise?
Old 22 Dec 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3346959)   #61
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Is that a good thing or bad thing, with the answer depending on how many people watch Songs of Praise?
Religious belief is also on the decline in the UK, as is probably the sale of women's posh hats. Maybe some people just like singing hymns?
Old 22 Dec 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3346961)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Religious belief is also on the decline in the UK, as is probably the sale of women's posh hats. Maybe some people just like singing hymns?
I'm cool with that but how does that translate into TV viewing figures comparable to the Brazilian GP?
Old 22 Dec 2013, 18:21 (Ref:3347003)   #63
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm cool with that but how does that translate into TV viewing figures comparable to the Brazilian GP?
This years Brazilian GP had its lowest viewing figures since 2005 at an average across the BBC and Sky F1 at 3.95 million. This is blamed on the fact that the championship was done and dusted. Compare that with 2012 which ranged from 5.8 million when the race started to 6.5 million at race end. Unfortunately I can't find angry viewing figures for Songs of Praise.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3347021)   #64
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
Quote:
This years Brazilian GP had its lowest viewing figures since 2005 at an average across the BBC and Sky F1 at 3.95 million. This is blamed on the fact that the championship was done and dusted. Compare that with 2012 which ranged from 5.8 million when the race started to 6.5 million at race end. Unfortunately I can't find angry viewing figures for Songs of Praise.
The figures that I've seen suggest approximately 3.5 (or thereabouts) watch Songs of Praise, which is roughly the same number that watched the Brazilian GP on the BBC. The fact that more were watching on Sky, is my view, a bit of a red herring as the same situation would apply in any future season where the rights are shared. I guess it is always inevitable that championship deciders (such as in 2012) will get bigger viewing figures due to the heightened level of interest.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3347076)   #65
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't even realise Songs of Praise was still on!
Old 23 Dec 2013, 01:19 (Ref:3347106)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was begging the question, which makes me believe the whole double points thing is about giving any one of the last three races of the season, a crack at the WDC being decided at their respective venues, along with all the kudos that goes with it.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 08:16 (Ref:3347152)   #67
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I just thought that the idea of awarding double points for the last race was to (hopefully) make the final race the Championship decider instead of it being sorted out a couple of races earlier?
Old 23 Dec 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3347184)   #68
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was begging the question, which makes me believe the whole double points thing is about giving any one of the last three races of the season, a crack at the WDC being decided at their respective venues, along with all the kudos that goes with it.
It could, of course, go the wrong way for the FIA's point of view and Vettel wins the race and wins the title by an even bigger margin !
Old 23 Dec 2013, 23:13 (Ref:3347419)   #69
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Yes Sky show them all live but the BBC show half of them live the question is which half. Next year Australia, Monaco, USA & Brazil are highlights only on the BBC all of which are GP's I like to watch live.
The not live thing wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the highlights. I hate highlights and the seamless way they try to run them so you don't notice that they've skipped a few laps. I want everything (boring bits and all). Of course, when it's not live you also can't use live timing, a driver tracker or chat to the good people on Ten-Tenths.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3347436)   #70
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
It could, of course, go the wrong way for the FIA's point of view and Vettel wins the race and wins the title by an even bigger margin !
There is that.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 00:19 (Ref:3347437)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I just thought that the idea of awarding double points for the last race was to (hopefully) make the final race the Championship decider instead of it being sorted out a couple of races earlier?
That's what Abu Dhabi would like to happen.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 03:10 (Ref:3350772)   #72
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I shan't be bothering with Sky this year and am cancelling. As much as I detest highlights, financial times are now hard for me and I can't justify the telly at the moment, let alone the expensive F1 charge.

I think pay-per-view/ subscription only is the wrong way to go and have thought that all along, even when subscribing for the last two seasons. Last year, I was busy enough with my own company to have much time to enjoy the F1 channel and it's vastly underused anyay (the day left trailing the channel and too many repetitions of the 'Legends' programme).

Sky haven't enhanced F1 like they said they would IMO either.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 16:40 (Ref:3351279)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I shan't be bothering with Sky this year and am cancelling. As much as I detest highlights, financial times are now hard for me and I can't justify the telly at the moment, let alone the expensive F1 charge.

I think pay-per-view/ subscription only is the wrong way to go and have thought that all along, even when subscribing for the last two seasons. Last year, I was busy enough with my own company to have much time to enjoy the F1 channel and it's vastly underused anyay (the day left trailing the channel and too many repetitions of the 'Legends' programme).

Sky haven't enhanced F1 like they said they would IMO either.
I don't subscribe to Sky Sports at all, as I dislike Murdoch's monopoly of sports broadcasting in general and therefore refuse to help finance it; rant over. That aside, I agree, I don't think it has enhanced F1. The times I have watched a Sky broadcast of a GP, I've never thought it was exceptional in comparison to the BBC, or indeed better and as for the Sky Pad, I think it's rather gimmicky a bit like some aspects of F1.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 20:22 (Ref:3351356)   #74
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well so far so good. I refuse to subsidise the Murdoch mafia and anyway the BBC team generally do a far better job imho. Anderson makes it for me and I prefer Ben to Brundle too.

I'm never failed to find a good quality live stream online when the race is not live on the BBC, which as far as I understand are illegal to broadcast, but not illegal to receive in the UK.

Not that there's anyone watching what we do online or anything.....
Old 7 Jan 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3351374)   #75
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They both do a good job. Whether it's worth the price...well, I've fallen out of love of F1 somewhat, so, on it's own no. Although that's not down to Sky, more the mucking about the sports bosses have been getting up to in the last few years.

Tags
pinks