Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 6 Jun 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3739003)   #26
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The red flag isn't substantially less sporting than the yellow one -- the latter also the robs the drivers of their hard won advantage.

I enjoyed the 2nd race in particular. It's nice to see young Rahal have his sucesses.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 13:21 (Ref:3739006)   #27
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed on Rahal!

Being the first yellow of the event, I felt there was no need stop the race once the second car went up in smoke. It felt a little "NASCAR" as I thought it was a wrap at that point. Just happy the results weren't altered much, if at all.

And tinfoil hat man in me says Micky Mouse gave a call to race control, requesting an extension...
Old 6 Jun 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3739028)   #28
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I watched the Saturday race on Sunday night, now that was boring. ESPN's Alex Pombo was alone in the booth, so that helped to make me sleep.

Castroneves was among the leaders but finished 7th. I have no idea why he fell behind.

And I watched the Sunday race on Monday night. The duel of strategies was interesting, but the ABC announcers didn't tell the time gaps to know how was getting the advantage. That slowly crawling scorebar should have been fixed decades ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
When Rahal said he had the type of car to dominate if he qualified up front

I thought it was a little bit wishful on his part. I'm surprised that he got some stick from the veterans in the series for running his mouth like that, but he was right.
Indeed!
Old 6 Jun 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3739029)   #29
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And tinfoil hat man in me says Micky Mouse gave a call to race control, requesting an extension...
Seriously? I would be very surprised if ESPN wants an extension, and even more surprised if IndyCar accepted the offer.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 15:59 (Ref:3739034)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Seriously? I would be very surprised if ESPN wants an extension, and even more surprised if IndyCar accepted the offer.
Extension of Race 2 to cover the broadcast window. The first 66 laps of race 2 went by too quick, so they welcomed a red flag to extend the race. Even with the red, Race 2 was 2 minutes quicker than Race 1.

Race 1
http://www.imscdn.com/INDYCAR/Docume...entsummary.pdf

Race 2
http://www.imscdn.com/INDYCAR/Docume...entsummary.pdf

ESPN is currently undergoing a fire sale, and it will be interesting to see what gets retained.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3739070)   #31
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do they pay ABC or does ABC pay them for the coverage?
Old 7 Jun 2017, 00:35 (Ref:3739127)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Agreed on Rahal!

Being the first yellow of the event, I felt there was no need stop the race once the second car went up in smoke. It felt a little "NASCAR" as I thought it was a wrap at that point. Just happy the results weren't altered much, if at all.

I think you can ditch the tinfoil hat, unless ABC had a magic button and blew Pigot's turbo.

Hinchliffe's car ground to a halt, bringing out the yellow and Pigot's turbo, subsequently blew on the same piece of track, if I'm not mistaken. So I think under those circumstances the Red flag was warranted. Either way, the Red flag didn't interfere with the out come of the race.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 01:38 (Ref:3739135)   #33
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Tongue and cheek on the tinfoil hat, BJS.

I still don't think the red flag was needed and the race could've / should've ended under yellow. You'd perhaps think differently if it did indeed have an impact on the outcome.

But it didn't and we're moving on to Texas with the best driver/ team on the weekend pulling a double.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3739202)   #34
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Tongue and cheek on the tinfoil hat, BJS.

I still don't think the red flag was needed and the race could've / should've ended under yellow. You'd perhaps think differently if it did indeed have an impact on the outcome.

But it didn't and we're moving on to Texas with the best driver/ team on the weekend pulling a double.
I got it.

I just think in the rather unusual circumstances, the Red flag was the right call. I didn't think it would make any difference with only two racing laps to go. It made more sense, particularly for Newgarden and Power, to hold station and secure their places on the podium.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 11:11 (Ref:3739207)   #35
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I got it.

I just think in the rather unusual circumstances, the Red flag was the right call. I didn't think it would make any difference with only two racing laps to go. It made more sense, particularly for Newgarden and Power, to hold station and secure their places on the podium.
And I believe both Will and Josef stated that the track was far too dirty for any opportunity to overtake. I'd have to look again, but I don't think many positions changed after the red flag either.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 20:15 (Ref:3739344)   #36
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's right, race 2 was about to end nearly an hour before the coverage did.

Also, I'd like to thank Allen Bestwick and Dr. Jerry Punch for their work with Indycar on ABC as they have been laid off by ESPN.

Although some would disagree, I've always enjoyed Bestwick, especially his work on MRN. Plus, he should be thanked for having to sit next to Eddie Cheever. I'm sure Allen will be around and have other opportunities soon.

Dr. Jerry, for those that don't know, is a fixture of American motorsport (and college football). If there was a race of any importance in the US over the last 30 years, more than likely Doc was in the pit lane. He has assisted medically on multiple occasions as well. He may have worked his last race, however, as it seems he wants to take some time off. His son is the longsnapper for Tennessee and he's had a long career. I really wish Doc all the best!

Last edited by JHamilton; 7 Jun 2017 at 20:23.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 02:40 (Ref:3739383)   #37
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That's right, race 2 was about to end nearly an hour before the coverage did.

Also, I'd like to thank Allen Bestwick and Dr. Jerry Punch for their work with Indycar on ABC as they have been laid off by ESPN.

Although some would disagree, I've always enjoyed Bestwick, especially his work on MRN. Plus, he should be thanked for having to sit next to Eddie Cheever. I'm sure Allen will be around and have other opportunities soon.

Dr. Jerry, for those that don't know, is a fixture of American motorsport (and college football). If there was a race of any importance in the US over the last 30 years, more than likely Doc was in the pit lane. He has assisted medically on multiple occasions as well. He may have worked his last race, however, as it seems he wants to take some time off. His son is the longsnapper for Tennessee and he's had a long career. I really wish Doc all the best!
I'm probably the only person here that likes Cheever. Always have. Think I'd come off the same way in the booth. Bestwick has been one of the best play-by-play guys for years, just always seemed like an odd fit for IndyCar.

And Doc Punch has been a staple in motor racing for decades.

I'm sure both will do just fine where ever they end up.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3739506)   #38
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I kinda agree on bestwick and punch being good, and I don't necessarily dislike cheever. But the broadcasts on abc for IndyCar are brutal. Probably the massive amounts of commercials that is most of the cause. Also the constant references to the Indy 500.

Rahal went from having a miserable year to being the only repeat winner this year and 6th in points. Quite the turnaround. The points standings are interesting, with some new faces in it.