Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 31 May 2017, 10:55 (Ref:3737643)   #351
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It certainly seemed one of the best Indy 500s of modern times. No doubt Fred being added to the occasion. And Sato taking a hard fought win against Helio
Old 31 May 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3737661)   #352
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Re: Nostalgia

Indy's resident Donald Davidson summed it up very eloquently in a podcast recently when asked "What was the best era of IndyCar in his opinion"

I'll paraphrase, but he said that an answer would be more or less meaningless. He said that our peak love and adoration for something is 4-5 years after first discovering it. By that time, you have become knowledgeable enough to truly appreciate it, you accept it for what it is and you accept everything that has come before it. From then on, it's easy to fall into the trap of becoming disillusioned with any changes to that thing you first fell in love with.

I found that to be quite profound and it totally rings true with my relationship to Formula One, for example. I've fallen out of love with it, but I remember the mid 00's with great fondness. An era that alot of older people deride as being one of the worst era's.
I would say it was better in the past for concrete reasons. The diversity of machinery for one. What's not to like about a Wildcat? Or an Eagle? Let's not pretend it's just a psychological delusion as to why people prefer the past.

But what's foolish is to live in that era and refuse the real and genuine joys of this era. And if some fans weren't at the edge of their seat with the Sato Castroneves ding-dong, then the malfunction is clearly with them.
Old 31 May 2017, 15:35 (Ref:3737731)   #353
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
But what's foolish is to live in that era and refuse the real and genuine joys of this era. And if some fans weren't at the edge of their seat with the Sato Castroneves ding-dong, then the malfunction is clearly with them.
I don't think there are, shall we say, ghosts, here that actually live in the past but come forward to post. I know I'm not one.

But no, I don't enjoy watching Pros at the Indy 500 running spec cars. That's greatfor amateur racing but not the 500. If you have that need for the orchestrated (by the spec venue...they better run close...theiy're all the same save the two engine choices) "competition", that's good for you. Where's the competition in one chassis, 2 engines? It's my proverbial "coin toss". Blaaahhhh.

(Psssstttt...again, no "panic" attack. 'Just a good natured one....)

jimclark
Old 31 May 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3737736)   #354
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
I don't think there are, shall we say, ghosts, here that actually live in the past but come forward to post. I know I'm not one.

But no, I don't enjoy watching Pros at the Indy 500 running spec cars. That's greatfor amateur racing but not the 500. If you have that need for the orchestrated (by the spec venue...they better run close...theiy're all the same save the two engine choices) "competition", that's good for you. Where's the competition in one chassis, 2 engines? It's my proverbial "coin toss". Blaaahhhh.

Unfortunately, the IndyCar series is not in a position, where Pros can run in anything else but spec cars. I think some credit should be given for trying to make a spec series less of a spec series. Personally, I would like to see a return to something that resembled CART, with multiple chassis, engines and tyres but the finances are just not there.
Old 31 May 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3737740)   #355
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I mean, I would guess you actually did enjoy it since you've made numerous posts throughout the month about it, and have clearly followed it.
Old 31 May 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3737745)   #356
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Unfortunately, the IndyCar series is not in a position, where Pros can run in anything else but spec cars. I think some credit should be given for trying to make a spec series less of a spec series. Personally, I would like to see a return to something that resembled CART, with multiple chassis, engines and tyres but the finances are just not there.
I understand the reasons. That doesn't mean I have to lower my standards on what I enjoy. I watch it still....just don't get excited about the "close" racing. (of course it is...they're all the same). NASCAR's gone down that road too. GARRA/IMSA was down it too but hopefully (key word) is making a u-turn.
'Part economical for the teams, but I think more to create that "close competition" to draw those behind the eyes that could care and/or know less about the vehicles themselves and so the "rolling billboards" get more exposure for the sponsors.... So be it.
I patiently (with little hope) await the return of real racing.

jimclark
Old 31 May 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3737750)   #357
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I mean, I would guess you actually did enjoy it since you've made numerous posts throughout the month about it, and have clearly followed it.
You don't have to guess that I enjoy it. Know that I do.
I've been a fan, participant, fan again since knee high to a grasshopper. Passionate is the correct term methinks. 'Doesn't mean I prefer the evolution it's all taking. 'Out of my hands...

jimclark
Old 31 May 2017, 16:45 (Ref:3737751)   #358
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
But no, I don't enjoy watching Pros at the Indy 500 running spec cars.
I enjoy drivers risk life and limb in pursuit of glory in a severe endurance event at breakneck speed. That's what occured on Sunday. When that occurs, it's silly to self deny that.

Maybe you should spend less time moaning about a race you refuse to enjoy and spend more time lobbying the powers that be to reintroduce this technical diversity we all remember from yesteryear.
Old 31 May 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3737754)   #359
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I enjoy drivers risk life and limb in pursuit of glory in a severe endurance event at breakneck speed. That's what occured on Sunday. When that occurs, it's silly to self deny that.

Maybe you should spend less time moaning about a race you refuse to enjoy and spend more time lobbying the powers that be to reintroduce this technical diversity we all remember from yesteryear.
As soon as you're Czar, I'll let you dictate my pathway....

No mas.

jimclark
Old 31 May 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3737776)   #360
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You don't have to guess that I enjoy it. Know that I do.
I've been a fan, participant, fan again since knee high to a grasshopper. Passionate is the correct term methinks. 'Doesn't mean I prefer the evolution it's all taking. 'Out of my hands...
So if you enjoyed it, why are multiple threads being bombarded with complaints about how much things suck and how much better it used to be? We had a highly enjoyable race with many things we could talk about but it's being bogged down into how much better the old days were..... Again....
Old 1 Jun 2017, 00:14 (Ref:3737851)   #361
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ok people calm down, it's only a car race. I've seen too many IndyCar threads get out of hand, so let's keep this civil.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3737859)   #362
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Ok people calm down, it's only a car race. I've seen too many IndyCar threads get out of hand, so let's keep this civil.
I'm perfectly calm dude. Calmer than you are.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3737926)   #363
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I'm perfectly calm dude. Calmer than you are.
I'm perfectly calm thanks, especially with the wonderful weather we are having, here in London and I'm glad to read you you are too.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3737935)   #364
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I'm perfectly calm thanks, especially with the wonderful weather we are having, here in London and I'm glad to read you you are too.

edit: Here in Florida too. A little hot but....

Last edited by jimclark; 1 Jun 2017 at 14:57.

jimclark
Old 1 Jun 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3737968)   #365
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

edit: Here in Florida too. A little hot but....
As long as it's not too hot.
Old 3 Jun 2017, 03:27 (Ref:3738256)   #366
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Some photos of my trip
Old 9 Jun 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3739709)   #367
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Some photos:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...ary_Exhibition
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...dianapolis_500

I have many more to upload, especially from the downtown Parade, and a few videos.