Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 29 Mar 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3722445)   #1
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2018 Universal Bodykit

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/...-design-update

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/...2018-car-shape

Some more images of the Universal Bodykit have been released by IndyCar. It would appear they have narrowed down what they want the cars to look like. Because it is only one 2D side image, and a current car is laid over it, I'm having a hard time focusing on it long enough to decide just what an improvement it is - visually. Generally, I do like it a lot.

Chris
Old 29 Mar 2017, 19:11 (Ref:3722480)   #2
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a bit better than the current car. Makes it look like a real racing car.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3722484)   #3
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
That's a bit better than the current car. Makes it look like a real racing car.
Agreed! From this angle, the change to the engine cover looks hugely dramatic. But it shows you what can be done when you change where the car is breathing from. I like it a lot. It looks more like the IL-15, which I quite like. Makes me think this will be a Dallara project - why add in another manufacturer? Unless that comes with a paycheck, I guess.

Even the Panoz DP07 looked a little bit long in the rear, this car appears to be much shorter in the rear than a lot of modern IndyCars have been, but surely that must be entirely down to removing the rear wheelpods and cutting away at the bodywork; as the tub won't be changed in this process. Have to wonder if this will make the car less rear-end-biased in accidents.

I also like how much further forward bodywork appears to go on the sidepods, with the inclusion of the radiators, seems a common sense way to improve the crash-suitability of the car.

Chris
Old 30 Mar 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3722617)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://digbza2f4g9qo.cloudfront.net/...0170329T124148

Are the rear wheel guards going then?
Old 30 Mar 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3722624)   #5
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Looks like it, but the series has said nothing of the sort. Only that they want to make the car more "traditional" looking. That has been clamored for even more than the lowering of the airbox. I didn't think they could make a car uglier than the Dallara IR05, but I look back fondly at that car compared to the DW12.

This looks short, athletic, angular, and I'm excited to see how it performs. The article mentions testing by midsummer, I wonder if Mid-Ohio (ahead of the race) is still on the table.

Chris
Old 31 Mar 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3722874)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Even more on the 2018 aero-kit.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/...018-car-images

Why didn't the ICONIC committee opt for something like this, instead of the DW12?

Old 31 Mar 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3722878)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Looks much better.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3722880)   #8
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Even more on the 2018 aero-kit.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/...018-car-images

Why didn't the ICONIC committee opt for something like this, instead of the DW12?

It really is an improvement. The sidepods look very DP01-ish. The overhead view also makes you realize the changes aren't crazy extreme, but even still the car looks much better. Can't wait to see the real thing!

Chris
Old 1 Apr 2017, 06:50 (Ref:3722947)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

It still is the DW12 isn't it. Same chassis - different aero kit?
Old 1 Apr 2017, 13:54 (Ref:3723024)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
It still is the DW12 isn't it. Same chassis - different aero kit?
The letters DW were adopted in memory of the late Dan Wheldon, who did the initial testing. It would seem Dallara are now using the designation IR-12 because of updates to the original chassis, the side-pods and re-positioning of the radiators but your missing the point.

Back in 2010 when the ICONIC committee discussed replacing the Dallara IR-05, a number of chassis manufacturers, including Dallara, proposed a similar design to the 2018 IR-12. This was one of Dallara's original concepts and is not too far off the IR-12, minus the shark fin.

Instead we got the DW12, which I remember, was not met with a very favourable response plus it had various technical issues. Hence my question, why didn't the ICONIC committee opt for something like this, instead of the DW12?
Old 1 Apr 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3723034)   #11
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It definitely looks better than what we have right now. But I still think the front part of the car can be improved. In my opinion, I think the front wing can be brought a bit closer to the rest of the car.

Also, apparently the rear side pods will still be used at ovals, but not road courses.

Sponsoring the side of this new car is going to a nightmare though.
Old 24 May 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3735692)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Looking at this post from IndyCar on Facebook, there will be an announcement on their website about the 2018 car at 2:00pm ET.

https://www.facebook.com/indycar/pho...type=3&theater
Old 24 May 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3735716)   #13
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Looking at this post from IndyCar on Facebook, there will be an announcement on their website about the 2018 car at 2:00pm ET.

https://www.facebook.com/indycar/pho...type=3&theater
Pr'tty pictures of the road course car, on the way.

Chris
Old 24 May 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3735723)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
IndyCar.com have released the “NEXT” concept images of the 2018 car.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/05/...ar-images-2018
Old 24 May 2017, 19:50 (Ref:3735738)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The rear wing for the speedway package is bonkers.
Old 24 May 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3735741)   #16
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
The rear wing for the speedway package is bonkers.
Agreed.

I love it! I'd be 100% thrilled if this is how the cars truly look next year, but I wouldn't mind seeing that top plane removed from the roadcourse/short oval rear wing and the wing endplates made a little smaller. But even with the big wing, this car still looks fabulous, and if it performs the way Frye has been talking, I will be very happy!

Chris
Old 24 May 2017, 23:39 (Ref:3735773)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Big, big improvement on looks and smaller amounts of little wings all over should reduce debris on tracks.
Old 25 May 2017, 00:04 (Ref:3735779)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I doubt it but I hope, there is a subtle variation between Chevy and Honda; it would be nice.
Old 25 May 2017, 01:32 (Ref:3735793)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Removing the airbox seems bad for sponsors.
Old 25 May 2017, 01:42 (Ref:3735797)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Removing the airbox seems bad for sponsors.
Back in the CART era, they made good use of the available real estate.

Look at these beauties. A Lola and a Reynard.

Old 26 May 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3736152)   #21
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Absolutely beautiful new car. Love it. Only critisism is things they can't do anything about without a chassis change. I'd curve the nose a bit (like the Reynard above), and I'd shorten the nose a tiny bit too. But that's just being picky. The rest of it looks amazing. Love that they dropped the bardge board nonsense infront of the sidepods, and love they dropped the rear wheel guards - they didn't stop accidents and just created debris.

Hopefully the lack of rear wing helps oval racing a bit.
Old 26 May 2017, 18:02 (Ref:3736207)   #22
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Absolutely beautiful new car. Love it. Only critisism is things they can't do anything about without a chassis change. I'd curve the nose a bit (like the Reynard above), and I'd shorten the nose a tiny bit too. But that's just being picky. The rest of it looks amazing. Love that they dropped the bardge board nonsense infront of the sidepods, and love they dropped the rear wheel guards - they didn't stop accidents and just created debris.

Hopefully the lack of rear wing helps oval racing a bit.
Hopefully. I really hope they add power, too. The "road course" 750hp should be the only output these cars have, except perhaps if Texas isn't race-able with 750hp.

Chris
Old 7 Jun 2017, 00:21 (Ref:3739125)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
More on the 2018 Dallara.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/06/...l-kit-supplier
Old 8 Jun 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3739483)   #24
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They get better looking every time I look them over. Hope they race well.

From the article, testing them at the end of July at THE Speedway:

Quote:
INDYCAR has scheduled the first test of the universal kit’s superspeedway oval configuration for July 25-26 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Old 9 Jun 2017, 00:10 (Ref:3739570)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
When manufacturers presented their designs to the Iconic committee in 2010, Lola proposed two different aero-kits, each with equal aerodynamic performance and which would give a visual diversity for both Chevy and Honda.

http://www.eracemotorblog.it/wp-cont...0/02/lola5.jpg

As we know, IndyCar introduced aero-kits in 2015, primarily to give Chevy and Honda that visual diversity. However, they haven't been without their issues but the aero-kits have produced a definite difference, between both Chevy and Honda.

I love the look of the universal body kit but I think IndyCar should seriously consider something, on the lines of Lola's concept as during testing.