Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 14 Jun 2017, 01:31 (Ref:3741053)   #51
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Indy is Indy and I already mentioned it twice here. Feel free to review those posts. To add: an aero package could work to break it up some.
So we excuse Indy but not Texas? I am not sure I agree with such an approach.

Quote:
Iowa speeds are sub 200 and I'm fine with 2 races there. It's not really even a comparison.
Whats the difference with cars touching wheels and crashing at 190mph or 220mph?

Quote:
No. It really doesn't. It's avoidable and you made reference to it yourself.
Pack racing no. Racing in close proximity yes.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 01:47 (Ref:3741056)   #52
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
So we excuse Indy but not Texas? I am not sure I agree with such an approach.
It's fine if you don't understand the difference between Indy and everything else.
Quote:
Whats the difference with cars touching wheels and crashing at 190mph or 220mph?
30 mph.
Quote:
Pack racing no. Racing in close proximity yes.
For long periods of time at high speeds? No.

We have a fundamental difference of opinion, which I'm fine with.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 02:37 (Ref:3741062)   #53
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
30 mph.
I am not sure this alters the end result to make the difference you are suggesting.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 04:18 (Ref:3741073)   #54
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's certainly a difference.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 10:25 (Ref:3741137)   #55
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Bourdais weighs in. http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130132
Old 14 Jun 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3741156)   #56
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Those were pretty much my thoughts. It's certainly interesting coming from a driver who watched, but he brings up many points that should be obvious.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3741214)   #57
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Those were pretty much my thoughts. It's certainly interesting coming from a driver who watched, but he brings up many points that should be obvious.
This comment from Bourdais definitely fits the obvious bracket
"Texas will fix itself. It’s going to age, and then the groove is going to get wider and that will give drivers more options."
Old 14 Jun 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3741217)   #58
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
This comment from Bourdais definitely fits the obvious bracket
"Texas will fix itself. It’s going to age, and then the groove is going to get wider and that will give drivers more options."
Where'd that comment come from? It's not in the linked article. Quite the opposite was quoted in the article. Polar opposite.

And it doesn't need to fix itself.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3741427)   #59
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Yep, I won't even watch. I don't consider staring at the television waiting for someone, either a driver or someone in the crowd, to get injured or even killed to be "fun".

The difference between Phoenix/Pocono/Indy/Milwaukee and Texas/Las Vegas is not speed but banking. It's just dumb and they should have stopped over a decade ago.

*Iowa splits the difference in banking but is a short track anyway.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 00:55 (Ref:3741475)   #60
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Where'd that comment come from? It's not in the linked article. Quite the opposite was quoted in the article. Polar opposite.

And it doesn't need to fix itself.
Here you go. Was in the Motorsport.com article rather than the Autosport article - hardly polar opposites.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...ce-918349/?s=1

Quote:
“Texas will fix itself. It’s going to age, and then the groove is going to get wider and that will give drivers more options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The difference between Phoenix/Pocono/Indy/Milwaukee and Texas/Las Vegas is not speed but banking. It's just dumb and they should have stopped over a decade ago.
I disagree with this and believe it is more about aero than banking. Bourdais interview suggest the same
Old 15 Jun 2017, 01:15 (Ref:3741478)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Here you go. Was in the Motorsport.com article rather than the Autosport article - hardly polar opposites.

I disagree with this and believe it is more about aero than banking. Bourdais interview suggest the same
As I mentioned in my earlier post 42,I think aero parity had a big part to play, plus the mandatory 30 lap pitstops, because of the tyre degradation, effectively turned the remainder of the race into a couple of sprint races.

I agree with Bourdais about short memories but apart from Fontana 2015, I thought pack racing post Las Vegas 2011, had been all but eliminated? I honestly think this was circumstance.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 01:41 (Ref:3741483)   #62
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

Now that we're referencing the same thing, he mentions quite a bit that it can be better, amongst a great big pile of negative. However, this happened at this race and has happened in the past, so I have to believe it will happen again; WhyTF risk not having proper aero and tires?

Here's one quote from him from the same article:
“Thankfully no one paid the ultimate price, but let’s not keep dodging bullets for too long because at some point something bad will happen.”

I honestly hope you're right, but I'd rather not have to dodge a bullet next year or the year after just because someone needs to have a race at a track or in a region. It is simply not worth extra risk. This sport is already dangerous enough.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3741495)   #63
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
I honestly hope you're right, but I'd rather not have to dodge a bullet next year or the year after just because someone needs to have a race at a track or in a region. It is simply not worth extra risk. This sport is already dangerous enough.
Some more insight from Bourdais which gives further context to the aero vs track discussion

Quote:
Bourdais insisted that his views were not a criticism of Texas Motor Speedway.

“No, absolutely not,” he said. “It’s got nothing to do with that track, and it’s not any track owners’ responsibility to define our racing for us. It’s down to us to bring the right package. And what happened on Saturday has got nothing to do with anything other than the aerokits have put us in a spot where we cannot run the appropriate amount of downforce to create separation.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 03:18 (Ref:3741509)   #64
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Some more insight from Bourdais which gives further context to the aero vs track discussion
A bit of PR on his behalf, imho. He'd rather not throw shade on the track completely. Understandable. I will. It's been a square peg in a round hole for decades. If you're happy with it; enjoy it. I haven't for decades. Texas is the last one standing from other tracks that should never have had OW cars race on to begin with. For valid reasons, but I won't convince you of that and you won't convince me otherwise.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 03:34 (Ref:3741513)   #65
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
This conversation is not unique. Both sides of the coin are referenced here:

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...-show-at-texas

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 15 Jun 2017 at 03:41.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 07:04 (Ref:3741537)   #66
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
A bit of PR on his behalf, imho.
Haha righto - thanks Sebastien

Quote:
It's been a square peg in a round hole for decades. If you're happy with it; enjoy it. I haven't for decades. Texas is the last one standing from other tracks that should never have had OW cars race on to begin with. For valid reasons, but I won't convince you of that and you won't convince me otherwise.
You might want to convince the drivers, Indycar and TMS at some point too.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3741600)   #67
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Haha righto - thanks Sebastien

You might want to convince the drivers, Indycar and TMS at some point too.
I won't have to. This has worked itself out in the past. Hopefully it won't taking someone dying to work it out here.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3741688)   #68
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some interesting comments from some of the drivers regrading last weekend's race.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130162
Old 15 Jun 2017, 20:56 (Ref:3741957)   #69
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Also an interesting convo between Marshall and Robin:
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14...r-news-june-15
Old 15 Jun 2017, 22:38 (Ref:3742035)   #70
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Some interesting comments from some of the drivers regrading last weekend's race.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130162
A bit of a theme isn't there from the drivers comments. Aero, tyres and new asphalt. And nothing to do with the 1.5 mile ovals
Old 15 Jun 2017, 23:24 (Ref:3742043)   #71
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
A bit of a theme isn't there from the drivers comments. Aero, tyres and new asphalt. And nothing to do with the 1.5 mile ovals
Lots of "should" and "I don't know", too. You also missed some glaring comments to see what only supports what you support. Good work.

More testing should have been done because it's a unique place. Lots of warnings from drivers, similar to Vegas. This is negligence on the part of the series. History repeated itself. Not good.

And your 1.5 mile oval jab completely missed points I've made and others have made here and points made by Marshall and Robin, too. I've recognized that aero, tires and more can eliminate packs, but you completely fail to recognize the past issues and how that is applied to this specific track and others similar to it.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 02:17 (Ref:3742060)   #72
D.R.T.
Veteran

Will have to agree to disagree here. Move on and look forward to the 2018 installment of the Texas 600 without the pack racing.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3742175)   #73
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Due diligence on the part of IndyCar is paramount to avoid this next year with a new car on a two-year-old surface (if they come back) and in the future to never let it happen again, but pack racing is still not the only concern with Texas.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3742179)   #74
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's far more nerve racking than Indy with far less of a prize. Always hard to watch and IndyCar needs to get off the high banks.
Apparently, after first the payout is less than last on the PGA tour. 30k, 20k was Robin Miller's estimate for second and third. And almost 2 million in damaged cars.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 12:49 (Ref:3742190)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The length of the track isn't the issue. The problem was the lack of preparedness due to limited testing.

In 2001, the fiasco surrounding the Firestone Firehawk 600 was down to limited testing. This year, it was the changes to the track and in particular limited tyre testing on the new surface.