Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 24 Oct 2014, 11:02 (Ref:3467908)   #1776
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motorin...11363938862274
Oh dear ! they do have a habit of jumping out in the road !

The driver obviously ran out of talent.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 12:50 (Ref:3467933)   #1777
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Rowan Atkinson had a similar problem with a tree which cost a bit more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...1-million.html

I saw someone do a similar thing with a brand new TVR several years ago coming on to the M56 near Warrington. He lost it on the slip road in the wet. Poor chap was standing there in tears and not sure how he was going to explain it to his wife.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 13:08 (Ref:3467937)   #1778
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I can't understand why people want these super cars. Unless you use them on track days whats the point of having something thats worth thousands of pounds and driving around the UK.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3467951)   #1779
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Aaargh!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0345.jpg  
Old 24 Oct 2014, 14:45 (Ref:3467962)   #1780
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
More proof that the ability to buy an expensive car is unrelated to the ability to drive it.

This has been proved over and over in historic racing but the performance of road cars is getting so ridiculous that it is far beyond the ability of most drivers.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3467964)   #1781
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Tim,
Kendall GT1 20W/50 is what I use in the Chev 350 in the Camaro for road and race. Is that OTT for the engine you have in mind ?
Nick
It seems a tad expensive but I was told the cams are a bit sensitive to wear on these engines and need the zinc additive to lubricate it. As I have zero knowledge of these engines I can only go on advice given but Kendal seems to be the oil of choice.
It won't be raced and will be very low mileage but then I suppose the oil should be changed yearly anyway with this scenario. BTW, I haven't looked yet but do these engines have a generic oil filter and if so what is the UK part No?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 15:16 (Ref:3467966)   #1782
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I can't understand why people want these super cars. Unless you use them on track days whats the point of having something thats worth thousands of pounds and driving around the UK.

Yep, quite agree Iain, far better using them over here.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3467981)   #1783
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Aaargh!
Thats a great photo. Which reminds me are we meeting up at the Ace this Christmas.???
Old 24 Oct 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3468010)   #1784
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll plug it into the calendar. Just let me know the date.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 19:10 (Ref:3468031)   #1785
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post

I saw someone do a similar thing with a brand new TVR several years ago coming on to the M56 near Warrington. He lost it on the slip road in the wet. Poor chap was standing there in tears and not sure how he was going to explain it to his wife.
I wonder if he drove old cars around a muddy field like some of us did before we were even old enough for a licence, or had to borrow ten quid to buy his first car ? seen it loads of times especially with young new drivers and the parents say to me "it's because it didn't have ABS and Traction control !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Oct 2014, 05:17 (Ref:3468172)   #1786
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dessert

How very true Gordon-cars have become far too easy to drive these days.Its remoteness of the driver, no "connection" like there was in those times.Example of say understeer, driver has a little bit going and doesnt unwind the lock till it grips and then try again-or even steer intoa rear slide and not fully come off the ththrottle.All old shcool dtuff sure, but the difference between young and the older drivers is huge.-unless they come from colder climes!
Old 25 Oct 2014, 10:28 (Ref:3468249)   #1787
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People rely far too much on these electronic devices to keep them out of trouble. In the early '90's I had a Sierra Cosworth go across my bows backwards from a side road and into a ditch. On checking the driver he was much miffed that the ABS didn't work. I explained that arriving 50mph too fast at a wet T junction only a miracle would get him out of that. He said he was going to take the car back to Ford and demand a new one!
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 25 Oct 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3468290)   #1788
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
We often get people braking really late into a corner.When asked why they do it invariably the reply is"to get the brake lights flashing like on tv"!! They dont like what they get told next!
There was an 'off' at one of the VLN races here because the ABS failed recently.When the driver was asked why he did'nt release then re-apply the brake pedal he said he though it best not to in the hope the abs would come back.He was then asked if he knew what cadence braking was-you can guess the answer.lol.

Last edited by terence; 25 Oct 2014 at 12:59.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 20:17 (Ref:3468381)   #1789
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
People rely far too much on these electronic devices to keep them out of trouble. In the early '90's I had a Sierra Cosworth go across my bows backwards from a side road and into a ditch. On checking the driver he was much miffed that the ABS didn't work. I explained that arriving 50mph too fast at a wet T junction only a miracle would get him out of that. He said he was going to take the car back to Ford and demand a new one!
I had someone working for me whose car went straight on in the snow. No real damage but the garage stiffed her for a fortune because "the ABS sensor can't have been working properly". Sigh!

When I taught on the skid car people wouldn't believe I hadn't turned the ABS off, just made the road more slippery.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3468393)   #1790
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
ABS always frightens the bejesus out of me, even more so when I found out it doesn't work at all when all four wheels lock simultaneously.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3468402)   #1791
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
How much fuel did you use getting home tonight in the "tank" Tim ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Oct 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3468422)   #1792
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
How much fuel did you use getting home tonight in the "tank" Tim ?
Coming out of Brands it jammed in 2nd gear and It's in the garage still stuck in gear now so I hate to think how much it used.

It amazes me that people wont overtake you on a perfectly straight wide bit of the A20 that has no traffic coming the opposite way
and would rather sit there at 20 mph behind you.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3468430)   #1793
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Oil filters are for the Small block chevy only as far as I know real steel stock them no problem. As for engine oil the old Unipart Green was good and cheap but I dont think you can get it anymore. I use fully synthetic these days but use roller cams so no problem but for a flat tappet cam the older style 20/50s are the way to go. I did use Halfords green for older cars and it seemed to do the job. BTW I have been told steer clear of Fram filters by Robin Grey of AutoPontiac and he supplied my last one (non Fram) and I picked up a lot of oil pressure along with and oil change, it almost doubled!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 25 Oct 2014 at 22:27.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 23:31 (Ref:3468460)   #1794
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
It amazes me that people wont overtake you on a perfectly straight wide bit of the A20 that has no traffic coming the opposite way
and would rather sit there at 20 mph behind you.
Well what do you expect when the thing is as wide as the road !
Old 25 Oct 2014, 23:47 (Ref:3468467)   #1795
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Oil filters are for the Small block chevy only as far as I know real steel stock them no problem. As for engine oil the old Unipart Green was good and cheap but I dont think you can get it anymore. I use fully synthetic these days but use roller cams so no problem but for a flat tappet cam the older style 20/50s are the way to go. I did use Halfords green for older cars and it seemed to do the job. BTW I have been told steer clear of Fram filters by Robin Grey of AutoPontiac and he supplied my last one (non Fram) and I picked up a lot of oil pressure along with and oil change, it almost doubled!

It's got a Fram filter on it so now I have the part number I'll get an equivalent one. I'm now in deep do doos with my cousin over the Facebook comments, libel, inaccuracy, negative comments and I don't know how to drive have been quoted.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3468610)   #1796
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
ABS always frightens the bejesus out of me, even more so when I found out it doesn't work at all when all four wheels lock simultaneously.
Is that true?
Old 26 Oct 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3468612)   #1797
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Is that true?
On his red and white car, Yes.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 26 Oct 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3468617)   #1798
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Is that true?
It was when I went down a hill to our stables with my Landcruiser in the snow with all for wheels locked and it spun 360deg at the bottom and ended up neatly between the two gate posts facing the other way.
I read the drivers hand book later and it says the ABS detects differential speed between each wheel so I suppose if none of them are turning it assumes the vehicle is parked.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3468652)   #1799
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Tim is right , if you are going down a hill that is covered in sheet ice the ABS system will not let any of the wheels have any braking at all.
Unless the car has switch-able on or off traction/ABS control a car is worse in these conditions.
However unless people have a good understanding when driving under these conditions they really shouldn't be in control of a vehicle !
Old 26 Oct 2014, 11:54 (Ref:3468670)   #1800
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah broadly speaking the ABS can't cope and switches off the brakes! The worst we had on the wet skid pan with this was Subaru, *the car people bought because 4WD was safe in the ice*.

Driving the skid frame really opened people's eyes. The braking efficiency worsens as I took the grip away and they thought they were "safe". Once again marketing misleads the public.