Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 3 Aug 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1672060)   #1
Highside
Rookie

England
Woburn Sands
Highside should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E30 M3 on a Diet...

I have an E30 M3 with a bit of a weight problem, and I'm hoping some people here can give me some pointers.

The car currently runs in Toyo tyres Mod Prods (did it's first two races at Pembrey last weekend), and while it was quick in the wet, it got blown away in the dry. A quick trip to the Scrutineers bay after the last race showed that the car weighs 1160kg with very little fuel and without me in it - so at least that explains that.

Thing is, the Toyos look set to join up with the Classic Thunder boys in CTCRC next year, and I was looking at doing both Pre 93's (if they let me in) and the new amalgamated CT/Toyo series next year, in order to maximise my journey miles to race miles ratio. Both have weight limits that are 233kg and 418kg lighter than my car presently!

What I want to know is - "How much do other E30 M3's weigh, and where have you lost the weight from?" Ideas from those racing in Kuhmo's / other series etc are greatfuly recieved.

Current spec is:
  • competely stripped car,
  • weld in cage (pretty comprehensive),
  • no sunroof or sunroof support,
  • no sound deadening,
  • no door trim,
  • no HVAC unit, j
  • ust the shell of the dash still in place,
  • & no rear bulkhead (but I will probably have to put that back in for Pre-93's).
  • Otherwise it is pretty stock.
The only restrictions are the rules (obviously), and the fact the car has to remain road legal as it lives in Germany and gets used on the Ring quite reguarly, and will probably race in CHC in the open class next year for some fun.

Cheers in advance,

Rob
Old 3 Aug 2006, 14:25 (Ref:1672175)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You are best to talk with John Wilcocks who posts here as not only does he look after the Pre 93s but low and behold he also races (successfully) the same model car as you. I think he is on holiday at the moment but I will point him in your direction if you cannot get hold of him.

Back to your car, be careful. If you want to remain eligible in Pre 93 you cannot do all the lightening tricks you can in ModProds and Classic Thunder. In Modprods you could take all the inner supports and braces from the panels but in pre 93 you are basically restricted to things that unbolt (speak to Stacy or John)! In CT however you have more flexibility than in ModProds and can use perspex windows and composite lightweight panels. Unfortunately there will be a compromise if you want to compete in both and I have the same problem with my car but John competes in both and goes very well so weight is not the be all an end all.

PS I think you may have to replace the door trims in pre 93 and short of acid dipping I reckon you will not get it much lighter for that class.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 3 Aug 2006 at 14:28.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1672206)   #3
Highside
Rookie

England
Woburn Sands
Highside should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
You are best to talk with John Wilcocks who posts here as not only does he look after the Pre 93s but low and behold he also races (successfully) the same model car as you. I think he is on holiday at the moment but I will point him in your direction if you cannot get hold of him.
I have seen John racing at Lydden this year, and your right, he and his car are pretty damn quick (sounds good too).

Stacey told me John was on holiday this week, but there is no rush as next year is still a way off.

Quote:
If you want to remain eligible in Pre 93 you cannot do all the lightening tricks you can in ModProds and Classic Thunder. In Modprods you could take all the inner supports and braces from the panels but in pre 93 you are basically restricted to things that unbolt (speak to Stacy or John)! In CT however you have more flexibility than in ModProds and can use perspex windows and composite lightweight panels. Unfortunately there will be a compromise if you want to compete in both and I have the same problem with my car but John competes in both and goes very well so weight is not the be all an end all.
This is what I was thinking - luckily a lack of time in preparing the car here in Germany meant that I havent been able to attack any of the pannels yet, so no harm done. Yet.

There is always a compromise, and in this case I think it might be one worth making, especialy as John has allready shown that it is possible to do so and be competitive. Would be interesting to know what his car tips the scales at though....

Quote:
PS I think you may have to replace the door trims in pre 93 and short of acid dipping I reckon you will not get it much lighter for that class.
I am pretty sure that Johns car was running without door cards when I saw it at Lydden, but I could well be wrong.

As for acid dipping - I have only just put it all back together, so the thought of getting it dipped makes my head spin

Thanks again for the advice Al.

Cheers

Rob
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1672438)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Just a thought but maybe you could have some quick change lightweight panels to swap over for the CT race. I did think of this myself but I have a couple of issues with my car that may preclude it from CT.

Another thing that will work against you and me and in fact John, currently in CT you can drop a class if running on treaded list 1a or 1b tyres which enabled me to win my class first time out and John to win his. Now I like this regulation but presumably if ModProds are throwing in with us and as I have heard slick tyres will not be allowed well i can see that consession going out the window. Also not sure how the guys that run on slicks will view this, nothing dyed in wool yet so don't do anything too drastic yet.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1673149)   #5
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my race e30 is part M3, engine, box and a few other bits, has plastic windows all round, grp bonnet and front bumper, 40kgs of multipoint cage, std rear bumpers, steel bootlid and doors although the doors have been seriously attached with a saw, no interior dash or heater, minium wiring required to race, has aluminum front bottom arms, but the added weight of turbo intercooler associated extra plumbing and massivly uprated rad and weighs in at 945kg

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 4 Aug 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1673209)   #6
tzei
Racer

Finland
Finland
tzei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This car has M20 engine but...

http://www.nieminenracing.org/

Click from the right "tekniikka" and then click pictures - you get more pics. Text might be difficult as Graham has stated earlier (russian) but pictures may be intresting?
This car weights about 915 kg