Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Jun 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2491492)   #51
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
mark garritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Sure. But if you own a car that looks exactly the same but is to FIA App K spec what do you think?

The motto of HSCC is "Pure Historic Racing Since 1966". There is not too much 1966 about some of the HRSR spec cars.
Hi Roger, that's missing the point to some degree, many of the guys also own FIA/K cars and run those in appropriate events in addition to the HRSR. The spirit of the club is to run cars, that ran in period at clubman level with period mods, which is what we do, I also think it's one of the most competitive series available (at our budgets) and the spectators seem to love the tail out bumper to bumper action we often see.
We are attracting many more K cars, which is great, you can win the championship with a K car, from memory, a K car cleaned up in 2007!
It’s fair to say, we seem to have the classes and weights pretty much bang on, the timings for a multitude of cars are now within a whisker which gives everyone a chance to run, not only at the front of their class, but at the front of the grid.
Dan, as you know, is quite exceptional, the Anglia he won the championship in was sold to another competitor, who drove well, but did not win races, so credit where credit is due. He and Doddy have set the benchmark for the rest of the field.
You've run with us in the 'heavy' Cortina, it'd be good to see you join us again in the lighter one! I’d stick my neck out and say we could get you a ‘complementary’ entry for Brands on the 13th of Sept?
Old 27 Jun 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2491497)   #52
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Sure. But if you own a car that looks exactly the same but is to FIA App K spec what do you think?

The motto of HSCC is "Pure Historic Racing Since 1966". There is not too much 1966 about some of the HRSR spec cars.
Sorry Roger, one small point of detail, currently, the HRSR is a stand alone club (not a series as in Road Sports/Guards etc) that runs, thankfully, under the HSCC banner. I believe the saloons were invited to race with the HSCC to bridge a gap in the line up which has been great for the club and its members! Hopefully that helps explain why our cars are a mixture of compliance with HRSR/HSCC regs and K's.

Peter Wray, our club secretary is a regular contributor and I'm sure would be happy tell more/correct me!
Old 29 Jun 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2493213)   #53
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burns View Post
The race was stopped 1 lap early due the huge oil spill at Old Paddock, not because of the curfew. Hopefully this prevented a lot of very nice historic saloons ending their race in the tyre barriers.
Steve - thanks for the clarification, it was the commentators who implied that it was for the curfew. It was a large patch of oil and very slippery, but all the field had negotiated it at least once and most twice when the race was ended. As we now know, at least 1 car went on the grass as a result so probably the best decision to call it a day!
Old 29 Jun 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2493555)   #54
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark garritt View Post
Sorry Roger, one small point of detail, currently, the HRSR is a stand alone club (not a series as in Road Sports/Guards etc) that runs, thankfully, under the HSCC banner. I believe the saloons were invited to race with the HSCC to bridge a gap in the line up which has been great for the club and its members! Hopefully that helps explain why our cars are a mixture of compliance with HRSR/HSCC regs and K's.

Peter Wray, our club secretary is a regular contributor and I'm sure would be happy tell more/correct me!
Sorry to be late on to this thread - away for the weekend.
You are correct, Mark, that HRSR is a standalone club and registered with MSA, but we are happy members of the HSCC family. Our technical regulations were formulated (in conjunction with Gerry Marshall) in the mid-eighties, long before the instigation of APP K legal saloons in the mid-nineties. The HRSR introduced classes for cars complying with App K in 1998 and, as Mark pointed out, the championship was nearly won by an App K Mustang in 2007. It is an ongoing quest to try to equate the HRSR and App K classes by the use of weight.

One last point. As others have pointed out Dan Cox is a step above the average historic club racer - that's why he wins.

Peter Wray

Last edited by morninggents; 29 Jun 2009 at 21:13. Reason: spelling
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2493710)   #55
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post

One last point. As others have pointed out Dan Cox is a step above the average historic club racer - that's why he wins.

Peter Wray
There is no question that he peddles a car well and I know he regularly wins in HRSR but out of interest has he had similar success in any other series?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 15:33 (Ref:2493966)   #56
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
There is no question that he peddles a car well and I know he regularly wins in HRSR but out of interest has he had similar success in any other series?
He's had success with Vince woodman's Cologne Capri including winning the 70's saloons race with a fastest lap in the 1-13s. He's also done well driving someone else's Ferrari 355/360.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2493973)   #57
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
all at Castle Combe or other places as well? Just dont seem to see his name out and about and I woudl have thought he is a good co driver choice....

Peter when you guys let Ford Anglia's in with twin cams I will join up ;o) I think they were the coolest racing saloon of the 60's and unlike 2 litre Alfa's actually raced in period!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 17:27 (Ref:2494014)   #58
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
all at Castle Combe or other places as well? Just dont seem to see his name out and about and I woudl have thought he is a good co driver choice....

Peter when you guys let Ford Anglia's in with twin cams I will join up ;o) I think they were the coolest racing saloon of the 60's and unlike 2 litre Alfa's actually raced in period!
Cool they certainly are, Simon, and close to my heart too. My brother and I built and raced two twin cam Anglias between 1965 and 1969/70.

However, there is not much enthusiasm for such exotica in HRSR.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2494017)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gawd, if only my then girlfriend's father had considered my 1500 Anglia "exotica".
Old 30 Jun 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2494029)   #60
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Gawd, if only my then girlfriend's father had considered my 1500 Anglia "exotica".
But compared to the usual 997cc or 1198cc versions your 1500 was certainly 'exotica'. Bet it also had the straight thro' exhaust, wide wheels, lowering blocks and steering wheel cover! Expect your then girlfriends dad had more concerns than your wheels!

My brother and I had to convert our roadgoing 997 Anglia to 1200 so it had enough grunt to tow the racer on a borrowed trailer. Once, in 1966 or 67 the trailer wasn't available to be borrowed so we drove the racer on race tyres and no silencer to Croft from Harrogate up the A1 with the road car close up behind to provide indicators. Certainly got some knowing looks from some bobbies on duty near the circuit entrance. We were really pleased they weren't around when we left the circuit to go home, though by then a mate had arrived so we had him in front and the road car behind in a 12 wheel convoy. Those really were the days.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 17:47 (Ref:2494034)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
But compared to the usual 997cc or 1198cc versions your 1500 was certainly 'exotica'. Bet it also had the straight thro' exhaust, wide wheels, lowering blocks and steering wheel cover! Expect your then girlfriends dad had more concerns than your wheels!
Brakes and steering wheel cover were exactly the same, it didn't have them!
Old 1 Jul 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2494313)   #62
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
Quote:
Sorry to be late on to this thread - away for the weekend.
You are correct, Mark, that HRSR is a standalone club and registered with MSA, but we are happy members of the HSCC family. Our technical regulations were formulated (in conjunction with Gerry Marshall) in the mid-eighties, long before the instigation of APP K legal saloons in the mid-nineties. The HRSR introduced classes for cars complying with App K in 1998 and, as Mark pointed out, the championship was nearly won by an App K Mustang in 2007. It is an ongoing quest to try to equate the HRSR and App K classes by the use of weight.

Peter Wray
Thanks Peter, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous, thanks for the clarity!

Tags
castle combe, hscc, masters