Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 4 Nov 2021, 15:25 (Ref:4081493)   #5801
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Because Indycar seems to have the same characteristics as an Indy Light, with a bit more power.

For starters an IndyCar has quite a lot more power, 550 – 700hp, depending on what course the car is running on, compared to 450hp from the Lights car. Excluding driver and fuel, an IndyCar weighs between 1,700 lbs and 1,655 lbs, depending on the track configuration, a Lights car weighs 1,400 lbs. Those are significant differences.
Old 4 Nov 2021, 21:52 (Ref:4081538)   #5802
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Because Indycar seems to have the same characteristics as an Indy Light, with a bit more power.
It's a HUGE jump between the 2 cars. As stated above, power and weight very different, DF levels very different. Listen to any driver who's testing on the way up after their first try, Indycars are exhausting. Never mind the fact Indy Lights don't run anything like the speeds for Indycars on ovals
Old 5 Nov 2021, 07:40 (Ref:4081585)   #5803
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
I see Nico Hulkenberg has ruled himself out of switching to Indycars for personal reasons. Shame as I think he’d have been a great addition, but with a new baby daughter and a settled life it’s probably a big move to head out to the States.
If Porsche/Audi are going to Hypercar and WEC then its quite possible he has be given an offer to go to sports cars for 2023/24 and why wouldn't he take it. He was one of the three who drive to a win at Le Mans in 2015 for Porsche, so if this comes up in the future it would explain his decision along with the desire to base his family in Europe.
Old 5 Nov 2021, 08:14 (Ref:4081589)   #5804
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
If Porsche/Audi are going to Hypercar and WEC then its quite possible he has be given an offer to go to sports cars for 2023/24 and why wouldn't he take it. He was one of the three who drive to a win at Le Mans in 2015 for Porsche, so if this comes up in the future it would explain his decision along with the desire to base his family in Europe.
Absolutely, he probably isn’t short of offers like that, so like you say can see why he isn’t making the jump.
Old 5 Nov 2021, 10:03 (Ref:4081595)   #5805
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if he's thinking of possibly retiring. Considering all the setbacks he's had, he might feel it's time
Old 6 Nov 2021, 01:31 (Ref:4081746)   #5806
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
If bjohnsonsmith's specs for Indycars are true, then the hierarchy might want to be careful how much they water down the cars (relatively speaking) despite how potent they are.

They're about 10% heavier and more powerful than F2. But I don't know if the weight of an Indycar includes the driver, otherwise, the gap is wider.

I'd presume Indycars a 2-3secs quicker, but I'm not as confident as a I was before I read bj's post.

If I was part of the Indycar hierarchy, I'd be working on getting pulling away from the performance of F2, without making a big deal about it as other classes would.

As it is, Indycar is probably about Formula 1.9 atm? I'd try and eek it out to Formula 1.6-7 range?
Old 6 Nov 2021, 08:51 (Ref:4081771)   #5807
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
If bjohnsonsmith's specs for Indycars are true, then the hierarchy might want to be careful how much they water down the cars (relatively speaking) despite how potent they are.

They're about 10% heavier and more powerful than F2. But I don't know if the weight of an Indycar includes the driver, otherwise, the gap is wider.

I'd presume Indycars a 2-3secs quicker, but I'm not as confident as a I was before I read bj's post.

If I was part of the Indycar hierarchy, I'd be working on getting pulling away from the performance of F2, without making a big deal about it as other classes would.

As it is, Indycar is probably about Formula 1.9 atm? I'd try and eek it out to Formula 1.6-7 range?
I have seen a few comments and references to simulations that around Watkins Glen, with no DRS/P2P the F2 car is quicker by 0.25secs. With DRS/P2P available, the IndyCar is faster by about the same margin.
This would tally with Grosjean's comments:
'Indycar is a bit more like a F2 car - I would say 40% less power. It is quite big. I mean Formula 1 is 1000 (hp) if not more and Indycar is 600 and something I don't have the exact number but let's say 650.'
Old 6 Nov 2021, 12:28 (Ref:4081786)   #5808
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I got the car specs from the IndyCar website.

https://www.indycar.com/Fan-Info/IND...ar-Comparisons

I'm not too sure what you mean by watering down the cars?

As for performance, the current engine spec is coming to the end at the end of the 2022 season, with testing of the new engine starting next season.

There is also new chassis but that is not expected until 2024/25.
Old 8 Nov 2021, 13:56 (Ref:4082189)   #5809
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Chip Ganassi Racing plans to run five cars for next year's 106th running of the Indianapolis 500.

https://racer.com/2021/11/05/ganassi...ar-indy-entry/
Old 9 Nov 2021, 10:53 (Ref:4082330)   #5810
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm not too sure what you mean by watering down the cars?
This past season was my first for a long time, and I thought the cars were watered down a bit compared to champcars. I have subsequently found they're just as quick as champcars were.
Old 9 Nov 2021, 11:33 (Ref:4082337)   #5811
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
This past season was my first for a long time, and I thought the cars were watered down a bit compared to champcars. I have subsequently found they're just as quick as champcars were.

Since the introduction of the Aeroscreen, lap times are down but that's not too surprising as it adds roughly 60 pounds to the weight of the car.

Apparently the Aeroscreen will be incorporated into the design of next chassis, which is due in 2024/25.
Old 9 Nov 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4082378)   #5812
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't think the laptimes are that bad, it's only a minor thing with the into of the aeroscreen. Let's face it's been worth in terms of safety, so it's only right they continue with it
Old 9 Nov 2021, 14:23 (Ref:4082401)   #5813
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I don't think the laptimes are that bad, it's only a minor thing with the into of the aeroscreen. Let's face it's been worth in terms of safety, so it's only right they continue with it

They aren't bad, they are just down from where they were before the Aeroscreen was introduced. Take the pole times from these races:

Long Beach

Alexander Rossi 27 01:06.5528 106.454 mph 2018

Josef Newgarden 2 01:08.2241 103.846 mph 2021

Mid-Ohio

Alexander Rossi 27 01:04.6802 125.677 mph 2018

Josef Newgarden 2 01:06.6739 121.919 mph 2021

Portland

Will Power 12 00:57.3467 123.292 mph 2018

Alex Palou 10 00:58.7701 120.306 mph 2021

Road America

Josef Newgarden 1 01:43.2026 140.020 mph 2018

Josef Newgarden 2 01:46.0186 136.301 mph 2021
Old 10 Nov 2021, 15:47 (Ref:4082622)   #5814
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Reigning Indy Lights champion Kyle Kirkwood to get full time ride with A.J. Foyt.

https://racer.com/2021/11/09/kirkwoo...foyt-for-2022/
Old 11 Nov 2021, 03:40 (Ref:4082732)   #5815
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Reigning Indy Lights champion Kyle Kirkwood to get full time ride with A.J. Foyt.

https://racer.com/2021/11/09/kirkwoo...foyt-for-2022/

Quite a good development for Foyt I think. I hope that they can score some good results next season.
Old 11 Nov 2021, 16:54 (Ref:4082809)   #5816
S griffin
Veteran

It should benefit both parties. A young driver with a good head on him, plus an experienced team could shake things up a bit. We'll see
Old 18 Nov 2021, 20:52 (Ref:4084264)   #5817
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No more Air Force ECR, or even USAF in Indy as a whole, according to Daly on Racer
Old 18 Nov 2021, 21:32 (Ref:4084268)   #5818
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
All three Mercedes-EQ drivers to test for IndyCar at Sebring.

https://racer.com/2021/11/17/mercede...st-at-sebring/
Old 18 Nov 2021, 23:38 (Ref:4084279)   #5819
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Not too surprising, feels like MB has learned they need to have drivers in the pipeline AND in a car, see Ocon for that. Wonder if they are funding any of the potential moves with driver pay and possibly some connections to partners wanting an Indy car paddock presence.

Have to think a lot of Grosjean's comments about the paddock, team life and the family with him have been heard and when teams see the prices it's an interesting proposition. And those drivers all have potential for good feedback based on previous top tier cars, more so than potential Indy Lights kids as isn't this test limited to evaluation drivers and not an open team/driver test?
Old 30 Nov 2021, 18:44 (Ref:4086039)   #5820
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
McLaren Racing have completed the contract, that will see McLaren take a 75-percent ownership in the Arrow McLaren SP team.

https://racer.com/2021/11/29/mclaren...rship-of-amsp/
Old 1 Dec 2021, 07:37 (Ref:4086091)   #5821
S griffin
Veteran

McLaren really have got serious about Indycars haven’t they?
Old 1 Dec 2021, 17:13 (Ref:4086175)   #5822
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
McLaren is spreading too thin.
Old 1 Dec 2021, 17:48 (Ref:4086178)   #5823
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
McLaren is spreading too thin.

How are they spreading too thin?
Old 4 Dec 2021, 19:05 (Ref:4086602)   #5824
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
They have too many teams around the world. F1, IndyCar, Formula E, Extreme E...
Old 4 Dec 2021, 20:35 (Ref:4086623)   #5825
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
They have too many teams around the world. F1, IndyCar, Formula E, Extreme E...

I don't see them spreading them selves too thin, more like weighing up the options. McLaren Racing have signed an agreement, granting them an option to enter the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship in Season 9, 2022/23. As for Extreme E team, again that doesn't happen until 2022. I doubt McLaren would even consider racing in these other series if it were going to impact on the F1 and IndyCar programs.