Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Dec 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3345730)   #126
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks BJ.

Interesting glimpse at some of the rule changes for 2014 by Ted Kravitz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJXR1TgpSg
Old 20 Dec 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3346300)   #127
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DiMontezemolo has come out against the double points for the last race because of the negative reaction from fans and the media. It apperantly was Bernie's idea (surprise surprise) and pressure the teams into it by saying the TV companies wanted the championship go down to the final race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111924

I hope the double points rule dies a rapid death.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 15:14 (Ref:3346328)   #128
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
DiMontezemolo has come out against the double points for the last race because of the negative reaction from fans and the media. It apperantly was Bernie's idea (surprise surprise) and pressure the teams into it by saying the TV companies wanted the championship go down to the final race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111924

I hope the double points rule dies a rapid death.
More like Abu Dhabi wanted it to go down to the final race, rather than having the WDC decided before their event and therefore reducing it to a post championship afterthought.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3346367)   #129
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although I think double points is a horrible idea, I'm with DiMontezemolo and say give it a trial this year. Nearly every time a rule change is suggested, people don't want it because we don't like change, even if we don't admit it. When qualifying was changed to a three round system people complained, but I now think it's a much better and more exciting qualifying method than before.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3346407)   #130
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just had an awesome idea. To make sure the championship is left undecided until the last race, we have the top three points leader plus the winner of the last race play a single elimination tournament of rock, paper, scissors on the podium at the end of the race! If rock, paper, scissors seems to be too random and you want something with skill, then do a pie or hot dog eating contest instead.

Richard
Old 20 Dec 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3346415)   #131
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Just had an awesome idea. To make sure the championship is left undecided until the last race, we have the top three points leader plus the winner of the last race play a single elimination tournament of rock, paper, scissors on the podium at the end of the race! If rock, paper, scissors seems to be too random and you want something with skill, then do a pie or hot dog eating contest instead.

Richard

I think Vettel might find playing rock, paper, scissors pretty tricky, with that finger of his.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3346462)   #132
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
That's the spirit Richard!

You're an FOM board member aren't you?
Old 21 Dec 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3346480)   #133
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
It apperantly was Bernie's idea (surprise surprise)
Yes it was Bernie's idea. But a request was made to him by the US and Abu Dhabi promoters to find a way for the F1 drivers champion not to be decided before their race. Undoubtedly, the US and Abu Dhabi are big players (and payers) on the F1 calendar. So Bernie had to come up with something to please both promoters.

This is what BE said yesterday on the subject:

“Personally, my preference would be for the final three races to be worth double points.
“But it may well be that the rule is cancelled altogether at the next meeting in January.
“I think it should be the final three races or nothing. The final three races would mean the championship is kept interesting for everyone – fans, press and television – right until the end.”

I'm warming to the idea of the final three races worth double points. It sounds interesting. I'm with BE on this. Final three or nothing.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 01:45 (Ref:3346819)   #134
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Yes it was Bernie's idea. But a request was made to him by the US and Abu Dhabi promoters to find a way for the F1 drivers champion not to be decided before their race. Undoubtedly, the US and Abu Dhabi are big players (and payers) on the F1 calendar. So Bernie had to come up with something to please both promoters.

“Personally, my preference would be for the final three races to be worth double points.
“But it may well be that the rule is cancelled altogether at the next meeting in January.
“I think it should be the final three races or nothing. The final three races would mean the championship is kept interesting for everyone – fans, press and television – right until the end.”

I'm warming to the idea of the final three races worth double points. It sounds interesting. I'm with BE on this. Final three or nothing.

I really think Richard is on to something here.

But then I originally stopped watching Champ cars because of the way the pit stops under yellow ruined the racing from my point of view, and look what I am watching now!
Old 22 Dec 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3346821)   #135
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

I can see why the US would a gree to the final three races. With their's being the third to last on the calendar, it gives them a shot at having the WDC being decided at Austin, especially if we have a season like this year where the championship leader is romping away.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3346822)   #136
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

I can see why the US would agree to the final three races. With their's being the third to last on the calendar, it gives them a shot at having the WDC being decided at Austin, especially if we have a season like this year where the championship leader is romping away with it.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 07:53 (Ref:3346847)   #137
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure it will make any difference. The most successful team/driver will score the most points no matter how you dick around with the scoring. Might have made a difference in days gone by when reliability was a key factor. Seeing as this year only one driver won the final three races what good would awarding double points do?
Old 22 Dec 2013, 08:07 (Ref:3346849)   #138
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ext-month.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not sure it will make any difference. The most successful team/driver will score the most points no matter how you dick around with the scoring. Might have made a difference in days gone by when reliability was a key factor. Seeing as this year only one driver won the final three races what good would awarding double points do?
I think next years cars are a little different to days gone by. Reliability will be a key factor in 2014.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 08:15 (Ref:3346851)   #139
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, I'll believe that when I see it.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3346892)   #140
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If there is to be bonus point races then, one near the start one in the middle and one near the end.

So without looking at where, perhaps races 3, 10, 17, so that these races can influence but not necessarily decide the championship
Old 23 Dec 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3347243)   #141
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A goal is a goal imo. You can't change its value from match to match.

But what I find particularly scary is the escalation of crazy ideas. Where do they go after they think double points isn't enough?
Old 23 Dec 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3347325)   #142
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ooh I know. Let's give each team a joker, worth quadruple points, to play in the races where they think they'll get their best result. I just know the FIA is reading this.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 18:54 (Ref:3347326)   #143
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Texting in is next. Text in your favourite driver for that extra bit of KERS. That nightmare is here with Formula E and the FIA is probably watching those guys like a hawk.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 10:14 (Ref:3347542)   #144
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus has a lengthy proposal for F1 regulations (sorry of this was already posted):

Old 24 Dec 2013, 10:28 (Ref:3347545)   #145
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
19. Teams shall not be obliged to pay their drivers, regardless of contractual obligations.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3347586)   #146
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Any loophole exploiting devices can only be used if they have a cool name ... Keith is not allowed
Does Adrian Newey count as a cool name?
Old 24 Dec 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3347655)   #147
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Lotus has a lengthy proposal for F1 regulations (sorry of this was already posted):

Actually it's worth a laugh because it's not funny at all...

Lotus must have tune up that PR guy responsible for those jokes of late...
Old 27 Dec 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3348166)   #148
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
From one of Clive James infamous GP season reviews from the 80's, when Detroit came around and there was little or no qualifying due to the track breaking up - CJ famously said ' the grid was decided by colour of hair'...there's an idea for BE and the FIA...
Old 28 Dec 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3348301)   #149
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Actually it's worth a laugh because it's not funny at all...

Lotus must have tune up that PR guy responsible for those jokes of late...

It's only not funny because some of those ideas are little more inane than some of those that have been proposed and often implemented in recent years.......
Old 28 Dec 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3348339)   #150
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Remember the proposal in Autosport for overtaking lanes?